Old 26 Sep 2005, 22:56 (Ref:1417439)   #101
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucypumablue
If the problem area had been between them and the SF line, yellow flags would have been waved so they would not have continued racing under those conditions. Once under the safety car, marshals would have been able to clear the accident safely.
My question still remains howver - the safety car WAS on the race track but there were NO waved yellow flags, no staionary yellow flags and no SC boards.

Is this a Brands thing or UK thing?

That's all I am asking (IMHO a major safety issue)
Old 26 Sep 2005, 23:07 (Ref:1417447)   #102
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
See my post above. It's a UK thing. When the Safety Car goes out, the yellow flags and SC boards are displayed first at the Start/Finish line, then around the circuit.

So until the drivers cross Start/Finish, yes, they are racing. At Brands the Safety Car is often released onto the Bottom Straight, simply to avoid the problem of cars thundering along the Pits straight and tripping over the slow moving Safety Car through Paddock.

The solution is to have instant (radio) communication between Race Control and all marshals posts. Then the yellow flags and SC boards could be displayed all around the circuit straightaway, as happens in F1, and the cars are brought down to a safe speed in good time.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 23:09 (Ref:1417450)   #103
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles lives!
Came home from Brands and watched the Brazil GP....................yawn!! At least I had recorded it on SKY + so could watch it at 12x speed!
Ha ha, did the exact same thing after the first few laps!! Was planning to go back to normal speed for Alonso's celebrations, the podium etc, but ITV in their infinite wisdom decide to show two ad breaks then Coronation St instead of the press conference...
Old 27 Sep 2005, 06:35 (Ref:1417579)   #104
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy mole
The solution is to have instant (radio) communication between Race Control and all marshals posts. Then the yellow flags and SC boards could be displayed all around the circuit straightaway, as happens in F1, and the cars are brought down to a safe speed in good time.
Are you saying that radios are NOT used at Brands??? I would hope they are.

However - if this is the case I would certainly see this as a major safety issue (as well as the rules for A1GP not being followed).
Old 27 Sep 2005, 06:55 (Ref:1417586)   #105
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by storyline
Are you saying that radios are NOT used at Brands??? I would hope they are.

However - if this is the case I would certainly see this as a major safety issue (as well as the rules for A1GP not being followed).
First of all The Yellows and SC boards were out as I saw them from Paddock. At Brands the marshals use a telephone system to keep in contact with race control. Radios are used for mobile units like Rescue, Med Car, Breackdown and Safety car.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 07:42 (Ref:1417613)   #106
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarmarshal
First of all The Yellows and SC boards were out as I saw them from Paddock. At Brands the marshals use a telephone system to keep in contact with race control. Radios are used for mobile units like Rescue, Med Car, Breackdown and Safety car.
I thought there was a radio at each main marshall point?
Old 27 Sep 2005, 07:52 (Ref:1417622)   #107
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaksnaf
I thought there was a radio at each main marshall point?
No, there isn't. A lot of marshals use scanners, but under UK law they are not allowed to act on the information gained from them
Old 27 Sep 2005, 08:30 (Ref:1417656)   #108
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Ascarbob - a lot of the marshal's posts had radios (attached to the IOs) in order to coordinate the snatches. Not used for other information or communication. I had to rely on a telephone. Anyway, the radio network is not that robust on Brands long circuit.

As for storyline reading the A1GP regs, well done that man. In an ideal world the display of the SC boards coming out before the car appears on track would be brilliant.
However - our final verbal instuctions were (and I paraphrase) - "do what you normally do for safety car intervention".
Old 27 Sep 2005, 23:39 (Ref:1418367)   #109
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just finished watching the race again, and well Italy 100% jumped the start. But also when Italy came out from their pit-stop he was in front of Mexico. So a top 3 could of been on the cards for Italy had Lebanon not shut the door so late in the corner.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 11:52 (Ref:1419864)   #110
jump
Rookie

England
West London
jump should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought that it was the one of the most entertaining motor races I have seen since BTCC in the early/mid 90s.
Also pitting country against country is ingenius and I found myself chanting and shouting down the TV as if it were a football international.
I think its realy bought some excitement back into the telivised world of motorsport.