Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Sep 2013, 12:44 (Ref:3300974)   #1
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
The booing of Vettel & is Vettel a great?

Now, i'm sure that there are more than a few of you on here that are rather enjoying seeing Vettel booed and jeered on virtually every podium, but just wondered what your thoughts on the matter are?

It would appear that its got to the stage where its making the back pages of the papers.

Now, I've been giving it some thought, and as a Seb fan, i'm not saying that the "fans" showing their displeasure is unjustified, but it's the intensity that surprises me. Yes, he disobeyed team orders, cheated as a good friend of mine keeps reminding me, but if we compare it to....

Senna cheating his way to a title by taking Prost off in Suzuka 1990.

Schumacher cheating his way to a titl by taking Hill off in Adelaide 1994

Schumacher trying to cheat his way to a title in Jerez 1997

All actions that haven't resulted in the same amount of dissatisfifation shown by the fans at the circuits that Vettel receives.

Just wondering if its now gone too far or if you can see it ending soon?
Old 9 Sep 2013, 13:00 (Ref:3300977)   #2
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
I find it incredibly disappointing.

I would have thought that, as a community, we were 'above' that sort of thing.

But, i guess if you turn the show into Super Mario Kart to attract the pondlife dollar, you have to deal with the consequences.
Old 9 Sep 2013, 13:02 (Ref:3300978)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've said as much as I feel I need to say about it elsewhere.
Old 9 Sep 2013, 13:03 (Ref:3300979)   #4
SpikerJack
Racer

Italy
SpikerJack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In Italy the difference is:

1) You drive for ferrari----> GOD
2) You don't drive for ferrari------> Boooooo

That's it. Not so difficult.. Schumacher was hated before he came to Ferrari, same thing for Alonso after the Mclaren scandal.. When they came to Ferrari the crowd just went mad for them..
Old 9 Sep 2013, 13:06 (Ref:3300982)   #5
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As far as I'm aware this is nothing new. My parents went to the Italian GP in 1990 and the fans threw bottles at Senna's car and some of them even left when the Ferraris retired.

It's disappointing, yes. But if you're going to have an event with tens or hundreds of thousands of people, no matter where you hold it and no matter what the event there will be some who spoil it for you in some way.
Old 9 Sep 2013, 13:10 (Ref:3300985)   #6
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fanatical supporters booing the opposition! Surely not, whatever next!!
It happens in all sports, get real.
Old 9 Sep 2013, 13:29 (Ref:3300994)   #7
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
As a Ferrari fan, I find it despicable and totally classless. Most sports fans I know, or at least the ones I choose to associate with, congratulate & compliment the victor no matter how hard it is to swallow.

At the end of the race Alonso stood there and waited for Seb to get out of the car so he could shake his hand and offer his congratulations on a well deserved victory. That behaviour should have carried over to the fans & haters who seemed to be more wrapped up in “it should have been, (insert favourite driver here) who won the race” than applauding the winner.

This Seb hatred seems to be growing amongst those who grasp for straws when picking a DOTR by choosing ANYBODY who had a few good laps whilst overwhelming choosing Seb’s team as the TOTR. How does that work? Oh I get it, “Seb has no talent, it’s all about Newey, the car and the team, he led from pole, he was unchallenged, any git could drive the RB9 to victory, team orders, it's bad for the sport, bla, bla, bla…”

…unless of course it was (insert favourite driver here) driving another car in the identical circumstances, then it would have been “a brilliant drive in that dog of a car, DOTR, amazing”…utter rubbish.

It is too bad people let their jealousy get in the way of what Vettel has accomplished in such a short time even if they don’t like it, instead of shedding tears or anger for what could have been or should have been, (their thoughts, not mine) for (insert favourite driver here).

I root for Ferrari every race and get extremely disappointed when things don’t go “our” way, but I appreciate, admire and applaud success when it doesn’t come at the expense of someone else’s extreme misfortune. Getting beat fairly & squarely is hardly a reason to loathe and boo someone. It is the behaviour of a jealous poor sport. I sincerely hope the FIA brings the post-race interviews back indoors with no audience. The boo-birds don’t deserve an opportunity to show their lack of class.

Congratulations Seb from this Tifosi on a fine race and superb victory. Hopefully we’ll get you next race!
Old 9 Sep 2013, 13:34 (Ref:3300997)   #8
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
+ 1
Old 9 Sep 2013, 13:39 (Ref:3300999)   #9
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
Fanatical supporters booing the opposition! Surely not, whatever next!!
It happens in all sports, get real.
Non Ferrari drivers will always get booed, sure, but this, same as Silverstone, when Vettel retired and Montreal, where he won has reached different levels is the point I was making.
Old 9 Sep 2013, 14:20 (Ref:3301012)   #10
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Out of all the cheaters of the past I rate Schumacher on the bottom of my list (bottom being my most disliked driver). He didn't just run drivers off the the track (to add HHF in Montreal when coming out of the pits, which is why they changed the configuration and also to add the helmet scandal and illegal traction control software, blame everyone else, etc.), but with that being said he never got booed like SV.

I think people don't like the in-your-face victory antics, the sometimes whining on the radio, the swearing on the podium, the Webber inciident, the finger, just his bratty immature(ish) persona etc. So, I am guessing it is all the little irritable things collectively adding up along with hearing it all the time when he wins has contributed to the boos. I am sure if he was a little more reserved and professional, people would see him in a different way. Well, anything like he is now. Maybe the victory screams on the radio after every race is getting on everyone's nerves?

I liked SV early on, seemed like a nice guy (he still is don't get me wrong), but I feel sick and tired just like everyone else. I am not speaking for everyone else, but don't hit at me for saying it.
Old 9 Sep 2013, 14:24 (Ref:3301013)   #11
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If he wasn't winning he might even be proclaimed as a boyish breath of fresh air. It would be interesting to see how everyone would feel about Raikkonen's persona if he dominated like Vettel.
Old 9 Sep 2013, 15:09 (Ref:3301019)   #12
Spritle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
If he wasn't winning he might even be proclaimed as a boyish breath of fresh air. It would be interesting to see how everyone would feel about Raikkonen's persona if he dominated like Vettel.
Or if Kimi swore like him on the podium or showed his bratty immature(ish) persona by winging something like, "leave me alone, I know what I am doing" over the radio....

Maybe all Seb needs to do to silence the boos is apologize for winning...

Farcical boo silencing post race radio communication: Sebastian sobbing, (no happy scream) "I am so sorry I won the race boys, I tried my best to let someone more worthy win this race but they just couldn't catch up, I truly apologize..."

Last edited by Spritle; 9 Sep 2013 at 15:15.
Old 9 Sep 2013, 15:17 (Ref:3301021)   #13
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
I think people don't like the in-your-face victory antics, the sometimes whining on the radio, the swearing on the podium, the Webber inciident, the finger, just his bratty immature(ish) persona etc. So, I am guessing it is all the little irritable things collectively adding up along with hearing it all the time when he wins has contributed to the boos. I am sure if he was a little more reserved and professional, people would see him in a different way. Well, anything like he is now. Maybe the victory screams on the radio after every race is getting on everyone's nerves?

I liked SV early on, seemed like a nice guy (he still is don't get me wrong), but I feel sick and tired just like everyone else. I am not speaking for everyone else, but don't hit at me for saying it.
I will hit at you for saying it !

You're happy for the guy to be booed because of his 'in your face victory antics', his 'victory screams on the radio' and his 'bratty immature(ish) persona'. Is he the only racing driver that's ever done any of these things ? What the hell is he supposed to do... stay silent, do nothing or just stop winning ? Maybe he ought to apologise for existing ?
Old 9 Sep 2013, 15:21 (Ref:3301022)   #14
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Of course, we'd ***** anyway if he did act more "mature" and "professional", because we'd then be saying that he "had no personality".
Old 9 Sep 2013, 15:25 (Ref:3301024)   #15
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
There's an intensity and sense of high drama with Shumacher and Senna that doesn't appear with Vettel. Vettel seems a frivolous and easy-going character in comparison. That's likely unfair but that is what comes across I think and I think it rubs people the wrong way. Nothing to be done; just the way it is.

Tifosi booed Hunt back in the day. So I wouldn't necessarily read too much into it either.
Old 9 Sep 2013, 15:31 (Ref:3301030)   #16
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I don't like him, and I don't know why. I was at Silverstone, and was pleased when his car broke down. However, thinking rationally, I don't actually know why I don't like him.

Even the Multi 21 thing, I thought was not that bad. A few seasons ago, a multi 21 order would have been against the rules in F1, and berated by people who want to see team-mates race. I'm not even keen on Webber, so he's not put my nose out of joint by beating him, or by getting preferential treatment by the team. I guess he has come accross as arrogant on the team radio a couple of times. And he does that finger thing. Hardly crimes of the century.

Sorry for the random post. I am just trying to get my head around why he is being booed. Its not just by Ferrari fans in Monza, so there is more to it than the fact he just beaten two Ferraris.
Old 9 Sep 2013, 15:35 (Ref:3301034)   #17
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It vaguely reminds me of the unsavoury side of football 'support'. The current podium format lends itself to this interaction and probably a feeling from spectators that they can show their support or lack thereof in this way. Personally, I'd favour not cheering at the ones you don't like, rather than trying to stir stuff up like that.

Sebastian showed good maturity and dignity anyway and made the fans of the second-placed team look like the fools.
Old 9 Sep 2013, 15:36 (Ref:3301035)   #18
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
F1pete says it all, nothing to add.
Old 9 Sep 2013, 15:39 (Ref:3301037)   #19
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It fits in with the "pantomime villain" label that people can give to Vettel. Before him, Alonso got pegged with it because of the year at McLaren, and before that Schumi got pegged with it. Rightly or wrongly. It is just easy for some people to hate someone because of perception, even though the facts might actually counter that perception.
Old 9 Sep 2013, 15:57 (Ref:3301044)   #20
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We might consider two things:
1) It happened at Monza, home of the Ferrari tifosi and Alonso HQ.
2) Alonso and Hamilton have more fans in the world than Vettel, despite the German won more WDC than the other two.
Old 9 Sep 2013, 16:22 (Ref:3301051)   #21
Spritle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post

Tifosi booed Hunt back in the day. So I wouldn't necessarily read too much into it either.
Actually, I plan to boo Chris Hemsworth, (as Hunt) when I go to see Rush in a few weeks.
Old 9 Sep 2013, 16:25 (Ref:3301054)   #22
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Sorry for the random post. I am just trying to get my head around why he is being booed. Its not just by Ferrari fans in Monza, so there is more to it than the fact he just beaten two Ferraris.
He wins a heck of a lot and he has the audacity to not be a Ferrari driver in the process. That goes along way to explaining it for me. Both aspects are nonsensical reasons to boo him for me, particularly the first one.
Old 9 Sep 2013, 17:09 (Ref:3301074)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Vettel fans hate the booing.

Any real sports fans hate the booing.

But as Mekola says - it was at Monza and the Tifosi's hero has just come second to the man who is winning everything at a canter. Of course Vettel was a breath of fresh air when he arrived on the scene and people can have their minds changed by the most pathetic things. The finger did (does) it for me. I utterly loathe it. Ludicrous though that is. We're all human and things affect us differently. But if he wins every race from hereon for the next 5 years, I still won't boo him. (Although I very much doubt that I'd be watching by then......).
Old 9 Sep 2013, 18:05 (Ref:3301094)   #24
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
F1pete says it all, nothing to add.
I agree.
Although I will add, that maybe Vettel's unpopularity is because many people don't quite see Vettel as the best there is, and his irritating finger-boy act is seen as him telling everyone he's the best, whereas the reality is he is a top driver lucky enough to have the best car by far these last few years. Yes, he has put Webber in the shade a few times, but Webber is not in the "alien" class of F1 driver. Maybe the finger-boy peculiarity is an insecurity thing because in fact, Webber runs him closer than is comfortable, even though the car is biased to Vettel's style. Webber's record of points against Vettel would be markedly different without his bad luck, and his infuriating inability to make good starts.

I don't particularly like Vettel, but I will admit he is a top driver who gets the best out of a great car, and I'm not comfortable with the booing. I may like him one day if he shows the same results in a lesser car.
Old 9 Sep 2013, 18:16 (Ref:3301099)   #25
KaiserSose
Rookie

United States
Olympia, WA
KaiserSose should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post
As a Ferrari fan, I find it despicable and totally classless. Most sports fans I know, or at least the ones I choose to associate with, congratulate & compliment the victor no matter how hard it is to swallow.

At the end of the race Alonso stood there and waited for Seb to get out of the car so he could shake his hand and offer his congratulations on a well deserved victory. That behaviour should have carried over to the fans & haters who seemed to be more wrapped up in “it should have been, (insert favourite driver here) who won the race” than applauding the winner.

This Seb hatred seems to be growing amongst those who grasp for straws when picking a DOTR by choosing ANYBODY who had a few good laps whilst overwhelming choosing Seb’s team as the TOTR. How does that work? Oh I get it, “Seb has no talent, it’s all about Newey, the car and the team, he led from pole, he was unchallenged, any git could drive the RB9 to victory, team orders, it's bad for the sport, bla, bla, bla…”

…unless of course it was (insert favourite driver here) driving another car in the identical circumstances, then it would have been “a brilliant drive in that dog of a car, DOTR, amazing”…utter rubbish.

It is too bad people let their jealousy get in the way of what Vettel has accomplished in such a short time even if they don’t like it, instead of shedding tears or anger for what could have been or should have been, (their thoughts, not mine) for (insert favourite driver here).

I root for Ferrari every race and get extremely disappointed when things don’t go “our” way, but I appreciate, admire and applaud success when it doesn’t come at the expense of someone else’s extreme misfortune. Getting beat fairly & squarely is hardly a reason to loathe and boo someone. It is the behaviour of a jealous poor sport. I sincerely hope the FIA brings the post-race interviews back indoors with no audience. The boo-birds don’t deserve an opportunity to show their lack of class.

Congratulations Seb from this Tifosi on a fine race and superb victory. Hopefully we’ll get you next race!
Bravo.