Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Feb 2013, 08:45 (Ref:3198979)   #1
Caterhamf1
Rookie

Caterhamf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2013 Pre Season Testing

Well it had to be done, so I made the thread.

It all kicks off in 24 hours time, or 22 hours and 16 minutes to be precise .

What are you looking forward to the most? And does anyone have a live timing link (sad I know, but I promise I won't spend more than half my day staring at it )

Will it be , or leading the way?
Old 4 Feb 2013, 12:55 (Ref:3199046)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Vettel in a Red Bull? Possibly. Hamilton in a McLaren, or Alonso in a Renault? Probably not.

The Williams car will be their 2012 car, so it will be interesting to see how the new ones compare with that.

The Sauber is the car that everyone is talking about, it looks to be a good'un.
Old 4 Feb 2013, 12:57 (Ref:3199047)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's just a hunch, but expect Red Bull, McLaren and Ferrari to be leading the way!
Old 4 Feb 2013, 13:01 (Ref:3199048)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Agreed. Same old same old.
Old 4 Feb 2013, 16:23 (Ref:3199123)   #5
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
The Sauber is the car that everyone is talking about, it looks to be a good'un.
Well in the case of the Sauber (looking extraordinarily like an 2011 HRT in livery) how much input did James Key have before he left, as I understood the perceived wisdom to be that it was his skills that helped make last years chassis so effective....
Old 4 Feb 2013, 17:15 (Ref:3199143)   #6
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I don't expect any huge surprises, though Lotus might be quick.
Old 4 Feb 2013, 18:27 (Ref:3199176)   #7
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Well in the case of the Sauber (looking extraordinarily like an 2011 HRT in livery) how much input did James Key have before he left, as I understood the perceived wisdom to be that it was his skills that helped make last years chassis so effective....
I've no doubt that he did have a lot of influence on the design of the Sauber, and he will have had just as much influence on the STR, having gone to the team early enough to have done so.
Old 4 Feb 2013, 18:31 (Ref:3199178)   #8
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Christchurch, New Zealand
Andrew2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I quite like some of the new cars. the new Sauber looks smart, as does the Lotus, and of course, the McLaren.
Hamilton to qualify P10 and finish P8 at Australia. lol.
Title contenders will be Vettel, Alonso, Massa and Button in my view.

GO JENSE!
Old 4 Feb 2013, 19:20 (Ref:3199212)   #9
W.A Trichlorostyrene
Veteran

W.A Trichlorostyrene should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
James Rossiter testing for Force India I hear? That's one name I didn't expect here.
Old 4 Feb 2013, 19:25 (Ref:3199214)   #10
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Team 5 februari 6 februari 7 februari 8 februari
Red Bull Webber Webber Vettel Vettel
Ferrari Massa Massa Massa de la Rosa
McLaren Button Perez Button Perez
Lotus Grosjean Grosjean Raikkonen Raikkonen
Mercedes Rosberg Hamilton Rosberg Hamilton
Sauber HĂĽlkenberg HĂĽlkenberg Gutierrez Gutierrez
Force India di Resta di Resta / Rossiter Rossiter / di Resta Bianchi
Williams Maldonado Maldonado Bottas Bottas
Toro Rosso Ricciardo Ricciardo Vergne Vergne
Caterham van der Garde van der Garde Pic Pic
Marussia Chilton Chilton TBA TBA

Last edited by steve nielsen; 4 Feb 2013 at 19:33.
Old 4 Feb 2013, 20:37 (Ref:3199248)   #11
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
so no Alonso at this first test and three days in a row for Massa.

im sure there is a valid reason (have read that Alonso is focusing on his training routine whatever that means) but good for Massa. getting three days with the new tires could be a huge boost.
Old 4 Feb 2013, 21:56 (Ref:3199284)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is Ferrari screwing Massa.

Hang on...
Old 4 Feb 2013, 22:19 (Ref:3199299)   #13
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
It is Ferrari screwing Massa.

Hang on...
Poor lad will be frazzled by the time the season begins, and Ferrari is unfairly resting Alonso. Outragious!
Old 4 Feb 2013, 22:32 (Ref:3199311)   #14
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
more Alonso/Ferrari mind games really....Smedely will spend the next 3 days telling Massa that Alonso is faster then him even though they wont be on track together.
Old 5 Feb 2013, 04:19 (Ref:3199421)   #15
S14
Racer

Ireland
Rocky Mountain Region, United States
S14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
more Alonso/Ferrari mind games really....Smedely will spend the next 3 days telling Massa that Alonso is faster then him even though they wont be on track together.
"Alright, Massa, Alonso's Airbus has started it's take-off roll, he's faster than you, confirm you understand that message."
Old 5 Feb 2013, 09:06 (Ref:3199471)   #16
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A Trichlorostyrene View Post
James Rossiter testing for Force India I hear? That's one name I didn't expect here.
I understand he's doing simulator work for them this year. What you need for that is an experienced driver (both in sims and actual F1 testing) who is consistent lap after lap so the data engineers can check the calibration of the simulator, particularly the tyre model I would guess.

There's no point putting a young hot gun in the car who posts a blistering lap and then can't replicate it all week. That'll make him a hero if it happens in qualifying but it's useless for car development as they'll learn nothing.

I think Rossiter fits the bill perfectly in that respect, and why Ferrari have taken on Pedro.
Old 5 Feb 2013, 09:48 (Ref:3199488)   #17
Caterhamf1
Rookie

Caterhamf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well it's started. Just so you know. You can see live text at http://live.autosport.com/commentary.php/id/549
Old 5 Feb 2013, 10:13 (Ref:3199499)   #18
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Photo from BBC site

Merc and new built in tire warmers
Old 5 Feb 2013, 12:10 (Ref:3199547)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Merc and McLaren broke down. Nothing like getting off to a good start! But I suppose that it's better for those things to happen now, rather than when the fighting actually begins.
Old 5 Feb 2013, 12:16 (Ref:3199550)   #20
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it always amazes me just how little f1 cars *do* break down in initial testing compared to non-f1 design and engineering disciplines. it's kind of incredible really.
Old 5 Feb 2013, 14:35 (Ref:3199604)   #21
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
it always amazes me just how little f1 cars *do* break down in initial testing compared to non-f1 design and engineering disciplines. it's kind of incredible really.
F1 reliability now compared to even 10-15 years ago has improved incredibly, I remember when the opening races of a season regularly thinned out about2/3 of the field!

It's almost surprising now when something does conk out in testing or racing?
Old 5 Feb 2013, 15:17 (Ref:3199619)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Mercedes having to sit out the rest of the first day. What a team.
Old 5 Feb 2013, 15:34 (Ref:3199627)   #23
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
And Marussia join them on the sidelines......
Old 5 Feb 2013, 15:40 (Ref:3199629)   #24
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Not to worry, it will all be fixed for when Hamilton has his go.
Old 5 Feb 2013, 16:18 (Ref:3199647)   #25
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Button finishes fastest at the end of todays testing.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2...of-jerez-test/