Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 24 Feb 2003, 22:47 (Ref:516621)   #1
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grading etc?

Can anyone please explain what happens to your grading if you are no longer a member of the BMMC? We joined BARC this year as we are going to do a lot their meetings and felt that the BMMC had lost their way. We are wondering what happens about all the years that we had spent earning our grades?
Any info would be much appreciated.
Thx
Old 24 Feb 2003, 23:29 (Ref:516666)   #2
manicmarshal
Racer

manicmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would expect that as you register with Barc at whatever grade you are now thats where you will stay. They wont expect you to start all over again. I have never been a member of BMMC and have my grading through Barc. No real problem as far as I can see.
Old 24 Feb 2003, 23:47 (Ref:516689)   #3
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stu, you contact BARC Marshal's secretary, |Karen Coddington, kcoddington@barc.net and tell her you want BARC to be your lead club. She will then put your MSA registration on the BARC list, and either you or her tell the MSA. You continue on the same grade, and any upgrade signatures you have are still valid. Provided any further signatures are from MSA registered Examining Observers it does not matter which club they are members of ( unlike the Marshal's club who will only accept upgrade signatures by their own members.
Old 24 Feb 2003, 23:55 (Ref:516698)   #4
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thx for that guys, will take of it tomorrow.
Cheers
Old 25 Feb 2003, 09:21 (Ref:516984)   #5
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm pretty fed up with the BMMC as well. I have just been given free membership to the BRSCC (It's how the NW Region reward their marshals for doing all their meetings).
I reckon that if I fill in all the stamps on the marshals card they give you, that will then entitle me to 50% off next years membership renewal(If I have to pay next year) which will be around £15....cheaper than the BMMC. Can't see the point of being a member of more than one club really.
Old 25 Feb 2003, 09:32 (Ref:516989)   #6
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why should a volunteer pay to do a voluntary job? marshals should be given free membership for any club they marshal with

Last edited by sss; 25 Feb 2003 at 09:33.
Old 25 Feb 2003, 09:43 (Ref:516994)   #7
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Because they keep bleating on about the cost of insuring us!
Old 25 Feb 2003, 10:01 (Ref:517003)   #8
DarrellB
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
DarrellB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BARC membership is also free provided you have obtained sufficient stamps during the year.
The advantage of the BMMC insurance is that it provides cover from the time you leave home.
Membership fees are needed to offset some of the cost of providing training considering the BMMC has developed most of the standard training materials which MSA trainers use.
Old 25 Feb 2003, 16:55 (Ref:517328)   #9
Peter Scillitoe
Racer

North Korea
Peoples Democratic Republic of Medway
Peter Scillitoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DarrellB
The advantage of the BMMC insurance is that it provides cover from the time you leave home.
My understanding is that the MSA insurance also now does this. Worth checking the position with your club. I am sure that BARC announced this a few years ago. If so, that takes away perhaps the only remaining reason for be a member of the BMMC
Old 25 Feb 2003, 17:52 (Ref:517373)   #10
Tony_J
Racer

Tony_J should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really dont see a point in being a member of a motor club. At one time I belong to a good few of the popular ones. Now only the BMMC. The other clubs are there essentially for racing members, the marshal element is just an add on.
The BMMC may have temporarily lost its way but then again so have many marshals
Old 25 Feb 2003, 21:01 (Ref:517597)   #11
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
bmcrc, provide it all free for marshals, training, handle the licencing and provide extra insurance for the marshals including travelling to & fro. now if they can do it just doing club meeting why cant the others, i have my opinion as to why but thats another story
Old 26 Feb 2003, 13:37 (Ref:518302)   #12
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with Tony, BMMC are the only Marshals Clubin the UK - for all their faults I like to have an organisation which is independant of race organisers representing me.
Old 26 Feb 2003, 13:46 (Ref:518320)   #13
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Up north way (Cheshire, Lancs, merseyside etc) the BMMC/BRSCC/BARC are all pretty much the same entity. However, you are more likely to get answers to your questions or some sort of response to a particular gripe or requisition from the Racing Clubs than the Marshals Club. I'm not saying this is the same in other parts of the Country, but that's how I feel about my region!
Old 26 Feb 2003, 15:12 (Ref:518387)   #14
Tony_J
Racer

Tony_J should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sadly its the racing clubs that due to finacial pressures etc put on the protracted race meeting that so many of forum members complain of. There are a lot of the 'I'm not going to xxx circuit again because of the late nights. Its a bit difficult to boycott a particular circuit/event when its your racing club that causes the problem. They always come back full of apologies and excuses but at the end of the day it comes down to £££.
Old 28 Feb 2003, 09:06 (Ref:520202)   #15
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well no one has to join any club to go marshalling. With marshals being in short supply you will be welcomed almost anywhere. With lists like this and the volunteering and dates information available at http://www.marshals.org.uk/ you can do what you want (with a very few popular exceptions limited to members and with a bit of experience and a decent reputation, you can get in there).

Joining the club of your choice is optional and depends on what you are looking for.

<End of objective bit, personal views start here>

But if you want to contribute to marshalling and work in a community of like minded people, then join the Marshals club. You are not being charged the modest sub to go marshalling but to support the things the club does.

Insurance
Training
Newsletter
Representation
Community
Grading (the club developed the scheme now adopted by the MSA)
and Recruitment of more marshals.

Regards

Jim
Old 28 Feb 2003, 09:29 (Ref:520224)   #16
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Jim, I can't speak for the region of the BMMC that you're in charge of, but in mine I think it's on the slippery slope in a downwards fashion!

Training - Ok I suppose - the Seminars were better, however due to the wonderful new Telephone Volunteering method we adopted this year, meant that lots of names were deleted and many didn't get instructions etc for the training days.
Newsletter - The National Newsletter is not quite up to standard and regionally.....!!!! We get a **** poor photocopied bit of A4 paper occasionally with very little content. Usually the content is well out of date by the time it's arrived on the doormat! I've seen your regional newsletter and it's 100% better than ours!

Personal views you understand from a disillusioned member of a Northerly Region of the Club. Considering transferring back to my original, more "Centrally Located" region!
Old 28 Feb 2003, 12:41 (Ref:520362)   #17
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Observer,
I do noy know your position in your region of the BMMC but in the South East it is Healthy.
Have you spoken to your region committee about issues like newsletters etc or even so do you have the time to do it.
It is hard and we can never please everyone but unless people tell us what they think direct then we cant attempt to put things right.
I get the SE newsletter out every 2 months and I advertise in it every time for people to contrubute to help me make it as interesting as I can get it. Only the odd occasion this happens so it does become difficult to fill a newsletter. If you are not happy with the National magazine then approach them and tell them your thoughts.
Sorry if this sounds negative and bulshy but we need to be told what is going wrong to fix it.
Regards,
Richard Sneader.