Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 28 Apr 2007, 23:30 (Ref:1902454)   #1
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
deejay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Kansas Weekend Thread

TK on pole.

Top 6 very close.

Manning 11th.

Should be a great race.
Old 29 Apr 2007, 14:04 (Ref:1902683)   #2
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Milka is where everybody expected her to be. Barron and Fisher are slower than I expected.
Old 29 Apr 2007, 15:03 (Ref:1902707)   #3
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighton Irwin
Milka is where everybody expected her to be. Barron and Fisher are slower than I expected.

she isn't that far off the pace, its not only her debut its her teams debut

i wish some of you know all's would give her a break and let her race
Old 29 Apr 2007, 16:18 (Ref:1902736)   #4
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stradlin21

I second that.Could you do 207mph lap first time on an oval?
Old 29 Apr 2007, 16:44 (Ref:1902753)   #5
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
My comment was she was where most expected her to be. I do not consider that derogatory. That said she is 6mph off the top but Barron, Fisher and Roth aren't much faster. Roth should not be out there and he is a fellow Cdn.
I certainly am not anti women racers as you would see from my other posts. I also crewed for and married one and she was very good. Although a road racer she set a new outright lap record at Barrie Speedway, an oval.
Today I probably couldn't do those speeds on an oval but I did hold class lap records at Mosport and Harewood Acres when I was racing many many moons ago.
Old 29 Apr 2007, 22:08 (Ref:1903036)   #6
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

From the driving I have seen of hers in world series by nissan and grand am I would be worried.
Old 29 Apr 2007, 22:42 (Ref:1903050)   #7
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
well, i guess that shut most of you up!

she didn't end up in the wall, she didn't take anyone out

what she did was similar to what Danica did in her first few races, just made sure she completed the race and got some laps under her belt, which she did!

coming in 14th place and doing a good job

Wheldon totally dominated the race
Old 29 Apr 2007, 22:45 (Ref:1903053)   #8
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
What was Dixon's penalty for?
Old 29 Apr 2007, 23:05 (Ref:1903063)   #9
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dixon cut across the pitlane on his final stop.

Dan dominated. AGR's screwed themselves - well, Danica's front wheel guy did, though to be fair, we haven't heard her radio either.

Penske were just slow.
Old 29 Apr 2007, 23:26 (Ref:1903071)   #10
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
yep, the mighty Englishman was showing them all the way again

good performance from Vision Racing aswell, they are starting to become the 'best of the rest'
Old 29 Apr 2007, 23:31 (Ref:1903073)   #11
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
Well... Dixon was pegging Wheldon the whole way and in front when he got the penalty...
Old 29 Apr 2007, 23:34 (Ref:1903075)   #12
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay
Well... Dixon was pegging Wheldon the whole way and in front when he got the penalty...
it counts for nothing! a penalty is not given for nothing!

its tough i'm afraid! Dan Wheldon was the man again, no doubt

go go go For England!
Old 29 Apr 2007, 23:49 (Ref:1903078)   #13
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
a penalty is not given for nothing!
How long have you been following motor racing?
Old 30 Apr 2007, 13:33 (Ref:1903417)   #14
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
A bit like Mr Gommeddy
Old 30 Apr 2007, 18:14 (Ref:1903623)   #15
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Kansas Weekend

TSN didn't show the race till 11.30 so I went to bed and taped it. Couldn't sleep so got up and watched last 100 miles. Will see rest tonight.
Milka appeared to do a compentent job and kept out of the way. I still worry about her at Indy, along with Marty and some others including Al Jr.
Remember Kansas was basically flat out all the way round. From some in car footage Dan never lifted at all at 212 mph. Indy is a different story.
Marco seems to have some major problems with set up. 2 out of 4 races he just pulls in. From what I read every one had handling problems at first but the others, including Milka, dialed them out. Hornish had major handling problems and by the end sorted it out so he was one of the faster cars. Not the way for Marco to get to F1.
Major handling problems can be scary. I once had a front shock give up early in a 100 mile race. (Poor prep. and no money!) I stuggled on to the end scared sh---less but my top speed was only 140+ (and it was an airport course) not 210+.
Anyway Milka did well and there were no serious crunches.
Old 30 Apr 2007, 18:33 (Ref:1903641)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay
Yes, and why was he in front? Was it because he sped round the banking before making a late swerve to pit entrance per chance?
Old 30 Apr 2007, 19:01 (Ref:1903665)   #17
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Knowlesy: Yes, but he was also out of ethanol which the officials did not know, apparently, when the penalty was assessed. The plan apparently was to go one more lap. Sounds good anyway.
Old 30 Apr 2007, 19:07 (Ref:1903668)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ah, I didn't know about that.

Is the rule applied differently if the officials know that?
Old 30 Apr 2007, 19:27 (Ref:1903685)   #19
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Good question. Darned if I know, although the commentary indicated they might. I expect it is a judgement call and it depends which side of the bed they got out of and how popular the team is. If it was NAPCAR it would almost certainly depend on who it was and what it would do to the race. With Indy racing I do not know the politics very well.
I expect Danica would most likely get a break though.
Old 30 Apr 2007, 20:02 (Ref:1903700)   #20
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Good question. Darned if I know, although the commentary indicated they might. I expect it is a judgement call and it depends which side of the bed they got out of and how popular the team is. If it was NAPCAR it would almost certainly depend on who it was and what it would do to the race. With Indy racing I do not know the politics very well.
I expect Danica would most likely get a break though.
I think it was sarcastic.

Unfortunately for Scott, he violated the pit lane entry rules. It wouldn't have been in the rule book to say 'the pit lane entry line must not be crossed over unless you really need it'.

All knowing that he was out of fuel means is that it wasn't a stupid move by Scott, just the only option available to him. Better that + a penalty than running out of fuel and not finishing or causing an accident.
Old 30 Apr 2007, 20:51 (Ref:1903748)   #21
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
They went by the rules and I agree made a correct call. I also know that sometimes officials will bend the rules a bit depending on circumstances. Having being a steward I speak from experience. I have also seen rules enforced to the extreme if a driver or team was especially unpopular. Dave DeSpain on Wind Tunnel last night discussed similar situations as did Robin Miller on Speed Report, as applied by NAPCAR to Tony Stewart last week.
Old 30 Apr 2007, 22:41 (Ref:1903824)   #22
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Yes, and why was he in front? Was it because he sped round the banking before making a late swerve to pit entrance per chance?
I think that almost certainly explains why Scott was over 2 seconds in front after the stops, instead of right with him where they were before the stops. I think the the penalty was ultimately fair, a rules a rule, but unfortunate.

My point was that Wheldon wasn't as dominant as it might have seemed at the end. Dixon, and let's not forget Kanaan, would have challenged him for the win if they'd had trouble free runs. Wheldon was the one with fortune on his side in this race though.
Old 1 May 2007, 02:12 (Ref:1903878)   #23
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
If it was NAPCAR it would almost certainly depend on who it was and what it would do to the race. With Indy racing I do not know the politics very well. I expect Danica would most likely get a break though.
True, for promotional reasons I think the powers that be would rather a more media/fan friendly driver win than Dixon, so I don't think he's someone who's going to get any slack from the officials. Witness last year's Indy as well.
Old 1 May 2007, 16:40 (Ref:1904360)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

For sure Wheldon wasn't dominant, he had a slightest edge.

Ganassi were, however, the dominant team.
Old 1 May 2007, 17:05 (Ref:1904378)   #25
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
I think it was sarcastic.
I wasn't being sarcastic I just genuinely was a little unsure.

I would have thought the rule would not be applied differently though anyways.