Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 23 Feb 2015, 15:17 (Ref:3508039)   #1
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Historic Racing Today

I visit this forum less thsn I used to.

Notice there are less posts and not those of a awkward nature!

It's all about my car or wasn't our 13 th place in Class three wonderful.

Where are the threads of substance or the great spats like the Masters discussions.

Noticed a couple of discussion threads that could have promoted a heated discussion went nowhere.

Is this a reflection of the less interest in the racing or is this forum just going through a dormant period?
Old 23 Feb 2015, 15:30 (Ref:3508042)   #2
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Must admit that I had been having similar thoughts. Perhaps we have done the usual topics of noise, originality, recreations and eligibility to death!
Old 23 Feb 2015, 17:35 (Ref:3508079)   #3
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
I visit this forum less thsn I used to.

Notice there are less posts and not those of a awkward nature!
Cause and effect?

(Controversial enough for you?)
Old 23 Feb 2015, 22:39 (Ref:3508178)   #4
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
No!

You have the idea.

Guilty as charged.
Old 23 Feb 2015, 23:19 (Ref:3508191)   #5
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drink

And I thought my 13th place in class three was pretty good considering
Old 23 Feb 2015, 23:22 (Ref:3508193)   #6
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Perhaps the mods have battered us into submission! JT reckons looking after us is akin to herding cats.
Old 23 Feb 2015, 23:40 (Ref:3508201)   #7
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

A cocktail stick in a glass of something weird?

I now understand the thirteenth in class but its personnel!
Old 24 Feb 2015, 07:11 (Ref:3508275)   #8
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I thought perhaps a frivolous response, or maybe a long and considered tome, but decided no to both. I'll just go with Max's post #3.

Sharp as a knife, our Max.....
Old 24 Feb 2015, 07:26 (Ref:3508280)   #9
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
We just need a sub 3 min lap around Spa in a MGB to kick start the banter again
Old 24 Feb 2015, 07:28 (Ref:3508282)   #10
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=john ruston;3508201]A cocktail stick in a glass of something weird?

a cocktail of my own design. I've called it "frivolity"!
Old 24 Feb 2015, 07:45 (Ref:3508288)   #11
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
We just need a sub 3 min lap around Spa in a MGB to kick start the banter again
Is that a continuation MGB, with the very rare Lotus Twin Cam?
Old 24 Feb 2015, 08:25 (Ref:3508294)   #12
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have discovered that if one is considered too controversial there is always a Mod quick to haul on the reins, and it is not nice having the bit between your teeth when that happens.*

So ..... some years ago I wrote to the HSCC magazine on the very same subject, commenting that virtually every letter they published lavished praise on the club, organisation, marshals, officials Uncle Tom Cobbley and All.
I once read the letters page of any publication should reflect the membership, and I concluded that HSCC members were very polite and well mannered and not in the least 'stroppy'.

So I agree with the 'Ruston' view. I would love to insult a few people, and get a few danders up, however .....................?

I have noticed that Mike, Iain, Nick, Max and other seem to find time hanging heavy on their hands judging by the volume of their posts. What's all that about.

Bauble 'Crusty Old Git'.

* Maybe I am not one of the 'in-crowd'.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 08:45 (Ref:3508299)   #13
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I enjoy the tales of derring do that result in a thirteenth in class three, maybe I'm not quite old & cynical enough to be a member of the in crowd?

I also agree with John & Max, so where does that leave me?

I thought 2:42 was the new sub 3 minute lap of Spa?
Old 24 Feb 2015, 08:53 (Ref:3508305)   #14
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I have noticed that Mike, Iain, Nick, Max and other seem to find time hanging heavy on their hands judging by the volume of their posts. What's all that about.

Bauble 'Crusty Old Git'.

I assume that I am "other". I wouldn't have thought it was difficult to work out my name lol!

To answer your question, it's all a question of having the right priorities!
Old 24 Feb 2015, 09:34 (Ref:3508320)   #15
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I assume that I am "other". I wouldn't have thought it was difficult to work out my name lol!

To answer your question, it's all a question of having the right priorities!
Hi Andy as far as I am concerned you may claim the rights to 'other', no problem, although in the spirit of this thread others may dispute your right to the appellation.

The right priorities? I gave up on them years ago.

COG.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 10:11 (Ref:3508332)   #16
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it not because of the time of the year, ie pre season so not much happening?

On the other hand I think that everyone who wants race cars to be silenced are pussies and we should never have started to make cars quieter as the noise is an integral part of racing
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 24 Feb 2015, 13:41 (Ref:3508390)   #17
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
I think that everyone who wants race cars to be silenced are pussies and we should never have started to make cars quieter as the noise is an integral part of racing
Meeow.....

Bauble's observation has a ring of truth- as well as getting a car ready for March debut I've been subbing for some neighbours, and looks like this season should involve at least 10 european trips. So don't expect to be spending too much time posting unless on a subject close to my heart!

And no race reports......
Old 24 Feb 2015, 14:24 (Ref:3508409)   #18
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Regarding the OP

I think there are various reasons for the forum getting a little slower.

Main one is that for some reason, most parts of the forum have fallen away in interest apart from certain areas like sportscars (which this place seems to be a world focal point, LM in particular for which this place is some sort of weird Mecca)

Also twitter and facebook, a lot of discussion is now happening on there rather than in forums sadly.

There are places you can discuss things still, but very few open motorsport forums that lots of people regularly engage in.

This used to beone of them, but these days unless you like V8's sportcars or more particuarly the French race it is fairly slow.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 15:26 (Ref:3508425)   #19
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I have discovered that if one is considered too controversial there is always a Mod quick to haul on the reins, and it is not nice having the bit between your teeth when that happens.*

So ..... some years ago I wrote to the HSCC magazine on the very same subject, commenting that virtually every letter they published lavished praise on the club, organisation, marshals, officials Uncle Tom Cobbley and All.
I once read the letters page of any publication should reflect the membership, and I concluded that HSCC members were very polite and well mannered and not in the least 'stroppy'.

So I agree with the 'Ruston' view. I would love to insult a few people, and get a few danders up, however .....................?

Bauble 'Crusty Old Git'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Perhaps the mods have battered us into submission! JT reckons looking after us is akin to herding cats.
I think you're both being a bit insulting to the mods there so at least you've made a start Bob. There's only two of us and I can't remember the last time I had to haul any reins in and I even let it go when very recently someone called a driver a cretin just because the poster doesn't like a bit of noise, well FFS we all supposedly love motor racing and the noise part should go hand in hand with it. While on the subject of insults, it's ten tenths policy that we generally don't allow them so if you have the bit between your teeth just be thoughtful in what you say, an intelligent poster doesn't need to hurl insults about.

There is of course friendly banter amongst friends which I generally don't have an issue with but even that can get boring, especially for the person it's aimed at when we drone on about the same thing over and over again so why not try and think of something new. We all get the **** taken out of ourselves now and again and most of us take it in good stead but there is a time to draw the line and I have seen one or two people that have posted in this thread that have "copped the hump" at times when they've been on the receiving end so maybe some people have their wires crossed a bit.

As for the other mod on here, JT is one of the least (for want of a better word) strict mods on the entire forum, and one of the nicest people you'd want to meet and I've never actually seen him wield the bat except where spammers are concerned, he's always been there to help people when needed.

So if you are unhappy with the lack of threads or quality of discussion then please please start some new ones as it keeps the forum alive, but remember the forum rules and make for some interesting and if you want, amusing discussion.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 16:27 (Ref:3508449)   #20
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks, Tim; can't find a blushing 'Smilie'

Seriously though, we rarely need to 'mod' this forum because you are all so well behaved Did get a complaint (valid in my view) about the 'cretin' comment but noted the responses and subsequent apology (of sorts).

You don't have to be insulting to be contentious and it's true we've covered certain subjects like Originality and Continuation cars, MGBs etc frequently and my good friend (genuinely) JR who started this thread can't even complain so much about the lack of prewar races as there seems to have been a bit of a resurgence there.

I think that we are perhaps simply going through an inevitable quiet period. These things go in phases. On the other hand, we don't seem to get our teeth or enthusiasm into fresh initiatives. Last year I submitted a proposal to HSCC, on behalf of FISCAR, to organise a 1950s race to remember Archie Scott Brown, a legend if ever there was one, at Snetterton. It was approved and met with some comment in the motor racing press but when I mentioned it on here, the response was a big fat zilch. Pretty demoralising I have to say because I felt it was a real coup to get it agreed!

There's loads of stuff to get excited about but we seem to have gone a bit stale! As Tim says, get your thinking caps on and start some new threads about the historic racing that gets your juices going!

Incidentally what is like herding cats is getting racing drivers with similar types of cars to get together at the same venue to enter races catering specifically for them!! Very frustrating and what takes up a great deal of my spare time!

Last edited by John Turner; 24 Feb 2015 at 16:39.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 24 Feb 2015, 18:19 (Ref:3508494)   #21
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Both Tim and John T have hit nail on head.

They do a good job and are very good blokes so the downturn must demoralising for them.

This Motor Sport thing is going though a slow period.

Let's hope it survives as not sure it will pull out of dip.

My main concern is that few young people are interested in any form of racing.

Went to Daytona on Sunday along with 125 K other people and it's fair to say 75 % were over fifty and a large percentage of those being over 65.

It's the same throughout the motor racing spectrum .Bernie E could have been correct.

Latest threads that I thought would have legs were the pretend Daytona AC's ,Someone on Pre War and Spa used to be pages and pages and now a shadow of its previous length.

The great days when Roger Wills would take one position and someone another were great sport but we probably all got bored with that continuing sniping

Let's hope it sorts itself.

The only thread that goes on and on is the Delta thing that is a load of mates having a chat which is not a bad thing.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 18:23 (Ref:3508496)   #22
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
I think you're both being a bit insulting to the mods there so at least you've made a start Bob
Please Sir! John Ruston started it!
Old 24 Feb 2015, 18:43 (Ref:3508501)   #23
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=john ruston;3508494].....My main concern is that few young people are interested in any form of racing. Went to Daytona on Sunday along with 125 K other people and it's fair to say 75 % were over fifty and a large percentage of those being over 65.

It's the same throughout the motor racing spectrum .Bernie E could have been correct...../QUOTE]

Bernie E could be correct John in that the sport mainly attracts an older audience but surely he missed the point when he 'allegedly' said that younger people weren't the target audience (in relation to F1 at least). Maybe the sport needs to attract that younger audience - it must do to survive. Perhaps the FIA should be doing more in this regard - I'm not sure what they do these days - but I doubt if the promotion of historic events would be high on their agenda.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 18:58 (Ref:3508507)   #24
bauble
Veteran

England
Why would the younger generation want to watch motor racing at some obscure venue in the country when they can stroll down to the local football ground spend limited time watching events on the field, shout themselves hoarse, and let off steam/aggression then spend the rest of the day in the pub discussing the match, see the replay, several times, on the telly. Next day they can snap up the Sun and read all about it with dramatic pictures of their heroes kicking seven bells out of each other.

Sadly Football has got the young by the throat before they can walk or speak, and most wear United nappies.

Motor sport needs a thorough re-think about marketing itself to a new breed of fans, after all ticket prices are heavily biased toward our sport in terms of value for money.

When I went to a clubbie at Silverstone on my bike in the fifties I might easily see drivers of international status driving.

What chance of Hamilton, Button etc. racing in the UK more than once a year?

EF Wun has ruined motor sport.

Well it's wat I fink.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 18:58 (Ref:3508508)   #25
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
There is one other reason that things may get quiet, a hell of a lot of racers just don't seem to like computers. I run a website for one series I do and mod on a private forum for it (hosted by tenths) and I also frequent a forum for one of the other series I used to do (Thoroughbred Sports cars). Last post on the Tbreds was last June and on my one, SRGTC I think we get probably one post every few months, the last post was because no one can be arsed to go to the annual lunch awards.
Getting people to look at the website or forum is an absolute nightmare as they all seem to be technophobes.