Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Oct 2014, 22:19 (Ref:3461504)   #1
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Jules Bianchi

I just thought it'd be appropriate to keep all of the Jules Bianchi talk in one place, rather than in a few different places.

My mum mentioned something to me today about (ironically) a statement from the parents saying that Jules was still not breathing voluntarily.

I saw the crash today, and I struggle to see how anyone can get away with that kind of impact. I'm absolutely hoping Jules can defy the odds.

Seems a nice friendly chap, and no doubts about his talents behind the wheel. But right now, i'm sure we're all just hoping he's going to be ok, whether it's a life in F1, or a life without F1.

Thoughts are still with Jules, the friends, and of course, the family.

Selby
Old 6 Oct 2014, 23:43 (Ref:3461528)   #2
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No, out of surgery, breathing on own, in stable, but serious condition. Sounds like it was a subdural bleed. Should make a good recovery.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 6 Oct 2014, 23:58 (Ref:3461534)   #3
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The reports of him breathing unaided are sadly not accurate according to the reports from 6/10/14, very little information has been released as of yet however his family are there/due to arrive today (7.10.14) and after they have been briefed then im sure we will get a more detailed update.
Old 7 Oct 2014, 00:26 (Ref:3461544)   #4
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
The reports of him breathing unaided are sadly not accurate according to the reports from 6/10/14, very little information has been released as of yet however his family are there/due to arrive today (7.10.14) and after they have been briefed then im sure we will get a more detailed update.
Ah, even at that, a subdural bleed is usually not a life threat when recognized and treated within a reasonable amount of time. If he remains on mechanical ventilation for much more than a week, then i'd be more concerned.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 7 Oct 2014, 14:44 (Ref:3461768)   #5
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jules Bianchi

Statement from Bianchi family via Marussia http://www.marussiaf1team.com/news/1035/

Very bad news. Hopefully he regains consciousness. #forzajules
Old 7 Oct 2014, 15:25 (Ref:3461789)   #6
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
Ah, even at that, a subdural bleed is usually not a life threat when recognized and treated within a reasonable amount of time. If he remains on mechanical ventilation for much more than a week, then i'd be more concerned.
Why don't you wait for information instead of guessing?

Indeed the statement released today is very bad news unfortunately.
Old 7 Oct 2014, 17:08 (Ref:3461824)   #7
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus_r View Post

To be fair on the Sunday that was what all the major news networks were reporting however on the Monday morning that was said to be false information. Anyway it doesnt matter really, all that matters is that Jules recovers.
Old 7 Oct 2014, 22:03 (Ref:3461951)   #8
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus_r View Post

Actually the statement tells you little about Jules specific condition other than the fact that he has DAI, and that he is in the care of doctors.

DAI is the injury that results from the severe deceleration of the brain when lesions occur and the axons are disrupted, these being the avenues that allow one neuron to communicate with one another. It is a common cause of unconsciousness but can also result in a vegetative state. Coma is common.

It can occur in auto accidents, falls, assaults and child abuse as in shaken baby syndrome. It is not like brain trauma which occurs from direct impact or deformation of the brain.
Axons are not torn by impact but by secondary biochemical cascades that take place hours or even days after the initial injury.

So while the initial reports may have seemed positive (and may have been totally accurate) what has since taken place is compounding the situation and there is nothing we can do about it but allow medical expertise to work through the issues.

Brain injury is not an exact science and every case is unique, just like my own injury 20 months ago, so don't sound off at people.
Just understand that that brain injury and healing for Jules, is a process and it can get better, or worse. We just don't yet know.
Old 8 Oct 2014, 06:00 (Ref:3462032)   #9
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Keep praying for him thats all we can do now
Old 8 Oct 2014, 06:24 (Ref:3462038)   #10
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Actually the statement tells you little about Jules specific condition other than the fact that he has DAI, and that he is in the care of doctors.

DAI is the injury that results from the severe deceleration of the brain when lesions occur and the axons are disrupted, these being the avenues that allow one neuron to communicate with one another. It is a common cause of unconsciousness but can also result in a vegetative state. Coma is common.

It can occur in auto accidents, falls, assaults and child abuse as in shaken baby syndrome. It is not like brain trauma which occurs from direct impact or deformation of the brain.
Axons are not torn by impact but by secondary biochemical cascades that take place hours or even days after the initial injury.

So while the initial reports may have seemed positive (and may have been totally accurate) what has since taken place is compounding the situation and there is nothing we can do about it but allow medical expertise to work through the issues.

Brain injury is not an exact science and every case is unique, just like my own injury 20 months ago, so don't sound off at people.
Just understand that that brain injury and healing for Jules, is a process and it can get better, or worse. We just don't yet know.
Hard to disagree with anything you've said here.

I'm sure most have seen Gary Hartstein's take on it, but just in case you missed it, here it is.
Old 8 Oct 2014, 07:17 (Ref:3462053)   #11
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Thanks davyboy. I found Garys blog after I had posted this. Since my own accident in December 2012, I take a close interest in brain injuries.
Old 8 Oct 2014, 08:01 (Ref:3462072)   #12
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is an interesting situation. I think if he is stable it is likely to be a while before much news, good or bad, really comes to the surface. Similar to Schumacher, although if realise it is an entirely different injury.

So, for the purpose of positivity for Jules and the Bianchi family, are there any examples of a serious DAI leads to a full recovery?
Old 8 Oct 2014, 08:07 (Ref:3462073)   #13
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
It is an interesting situation. I think if he is stable it is likely to be a while before much news, good or bad, really comes to the surface. Similar to Schumacher, although if realise it is an entirely different injury.

So, for the purpose of positivity for Jules and the Bianchi family, are there any examples of a serious DAI leads to a full recovery?
I don't believe they graded the DAI, so we don't know if it's 'serious' or 'mild'. People with mild DAI have made complete recoveries.
Old 8 Oct 2014, 08:14 (Ref:3462077)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaroo Park View Post
Keep praying for him thats all we can do now
+1

#ForzaJules
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 8 Oct 2014, 08:25 (Ref:3462080)   #15
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
I don't believe they graded the DAI, so we don't know if it's 'serious' or 'mild'. People with mild DAI have made complete recoveries.
That is true. From what I have read, the fact that he was rendered unconscious means that it is a comparatively serious case. I guess we just have to wait, and hope, and pray for the best.

Forza Jules
Old 8 Oct 2014, 10:57 (Ref:3462139)   #16
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.thescore.ie/jules-bianchi...12030-Oct2014/

Unfortunately, the media are now reporting that his family have made a statement and the chances of recovery are slim.
Old 8 Oct 2014, 11:08 (Ref:3462144)   #17
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
that's exactly the same statement as everyone else, just with a different slant on the expert opinion and making a few reaching assumptions.

an example of a good outcome from the more serious end of this injury is richard hammond, for those who were wondering what one looked like. the short, medium and longer term effects it had on him are fairly well documented.
Old 8 Oct 2014, 13:25 (Ref:3462186)   #18
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
that's exactly the same statement as everyone else, just with a different slant on the expert opinion and making a few reaching assumptions.

an example of a good outcome from the more serious end of this injury is richard hammond, for those who were wondering what one looked like. the short, medium and longer term effects it had on him are fairly well documented.
I think Richard Hammond may have suffered a mild DAI. He was initially conscious when rescuers got to him and complaining of back pain. I don't believe that he had surgery either. That's not taking anything away from the seriousness of Hammond's injuries, nor how remarkable his recover has been... but sadly I feel we may be dealing with something very different in Jules' case.
Old 8 Oct 2014, 13:31 (Ref:3462192)   #19
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
again, not a doctor but dai is apparently something that is caused by but develops after the incident. i'm not sure the level of consciousness and the dai itself are connected other than the impact causes the injury.

i hope.
Old 9 Oct 2014, 02:43 (Ref:3462393)   #20
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
again, not a doctor but dai is apparently something that is caused by but develops after the incident. i'm not sure the level of consciousness and the dai itself are connected other than the impact causes the injury.

i hope.
From reading Dr Hartstein and others, if you remain conscious then it's mild to medium and in more severe DAI you are conscious and then become unconscious. All speculation of course.

In this day and age we are so used to knowing EVERYTHING because of social media, twitter, news outlets etc. In the case of Schumacher we have heard little in a while, so we all are left wondering. It's his family's right to do that, and we have to accept it.

In the case of Bianchi it appears his family would like to limit the information available as well. It will lead to speculation but they are entitled to do that. I hope that the media and fans can understand why and allow them this time.
Old 9 Oct 2014, 07:55 (Ref:3462450)   #21
davyboy
Veteran

Last night I spoke with a friend of mine who's a neurologist. He said DAI is one of the worst types of brain injury for several reasons :

o It is very difficult to accurately diagnose its extent because it's not apparent on imagining systems.
o It can not be surgically treated - essentially you just have to wait for the brain's connections to repair where they can.
o While there are cases of remarkable recoveries, mainly from mild DAI, the general prognosis is sadly very bleak.

One thing he said that was common with all forms of DAI is that the outcome is not predictable.
Old 19 Nov 2014, 19:53 (Ref:3476680)   #22
mikuni
Veteran

Some news: Latest reports are saying Jules Bianchi is now out of his medically induced comer, but is still unconscious. He is breathing on his own, and perhaps most importantly, is now in a condition where he has been able to have been transported back to France, which is fantastic news for his family.

His condition is still listed as stable but critical, and I suppose in the longer term this does not necessarily mean he is any more likely to make a recovery, but this is still good news and I was very happy to read it this morning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/30120317
Old 19 Nov 2014, 20:15 (Ref:3476682)   #23
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
good news but he still has a long way to go, so lets all hope it goes well
Old 20 Nov 2014, 18:35 (Ref:3476992)   #24
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's positive news I guess, but I was hoping for a lot better.
Old 20 Nov 2014, 21:37 (Ref:3477043)   #25
mikuni
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Katz View Post
It's positive news I guess, but I was hoping for a lot better.
I understand it is an extremely serious injury, as serious as a head injury gets. The fact that he is not dead already is a miracle in itself. For me, any even remotely positive news is good news, as this is going to be a long haul recovery, similar in some ways to Michael's. I'll take each piece of positive news and keep an eye on what is happening, because Jules deserves it.

That said, I hope sincerely that he recovers enough to one day race again, as unlikely as that may be.