Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 18 Apr 2015, 16:14 (Ref:3528528)   #26
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
There was decent coverage of ST Pete:
http://sportscar365.com/category/world-challenge/
I expect that SC365 will have a post qualifying and post race article this weekend as well. I've found the series website to be about the best source for in depth news.
http://www.world-challenge.com/
Old 18 Apr 2015, 16:21 (Ref:3528536)   #27
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Qualifying results.
GTcup https://twitter.com/WCRacing/status/589458428226998273
Quote:
Unofficial GT Cup Top 5: Thompson, Urry, Fogg, Trefethen, Landry #PWCLBGP
GT-A https://twitter.com/WCRacing/status/589454537032740864
Quote:
Unofficial GTA Top 5: Lewis, Fuentes, Heitkotter, Montecalvo, Cisernos #PWCLBGP
And GT. https://twitter.com/WCRacing/status/589454264142958593
Quote:
Checkered flag. Unofficial GT Top 5: Beretta, Thorne, Estre, O'Connell, Dalziel. #PWCLBGP
Old 18 Apr 2015, 16:36 (Ref:3528538)   #28
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Beretta's going to be tough to beat. McLarens are fast, though!
Old 18 Apr 2015, 18:09 (Ref:3528559)   #29
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
I expect that SC365 will have a post qualifying and post race article this weekend as well.
I guess I was wrong.
Qualifying was two hours ago and still no article on SC365.
Oh well.

Here's the full results from quali.
http://www.world-challenge.com/image...-Q-Session.PDF
Old 18 Apr 2015, 18:16 (Ref:3528563)   #30
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
Here's a cool photo gallery from world-challenge.com.
http://www.world-challenge.com/photo...h-2015-gt.html
Old 18 Apr 2015, 23:58 (Ref:3528663)   #31
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
I'm predicting at most 20 minutes of green flag racing tomorrow from the PWC guys.
Old 19 Apr 2015, 01:07 (Ref:3528760)   #32
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will see how it goes, hopefully this race is the straw that breaks the camel's back on standing starts. Can't imagine how ****ed the entrants will be if we get another St Pete right after St Pete....

Alternatively, the race can start just fine and without issues.
Old 19 Apr 2015, 05:36 (Ref:3528793)   #33
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I wish they would say how they really feel! But they are right, as of this morning there has been no PWC stories from Long Beach. Although there has only been one practice session so far, with qualifying later today.

I'm surprised Dagys hasn't aired his views on Long Beach security on S365 after he had a run in with some security guard whilst going for a jog earlier in the weekend. He didn't seem very happy on Facebook.
Old 19 Apr 2015, 16:08 (Ref:3528916)   #34
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had my grandson over for Brunch today Yumm!! .He had brought a piece of paper over as relates to qualifying speeds . Interesting I told him but it really does not give much indication as to Race Pace .
Indy car Pole 1:06
DP Pole 1:14:7
GTLM Pole 1:17:2
P2 car as there was only 1 entered 1:17.4
GT3 Pole 1:19

Trying to put this all into context I told him that these times were only specific to this track as to the configuration of such . Not sure WHY the p-2 was entered " Perhaps Field Filler " also the Delta wing but I find it interesting that the GTLM out qualified the P2 car . Somehow I was thinking that there Should have been maybe another second or 2 difference between GTLM and GT3 . pole positions any thoughts on this ?
Old 19 Apr 2015, 16:44 (Ref:3528922)   #35
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"Not sure why the P2 was entered perhaps as grid filler" What's that supposed to mean?

The Shank Oak had issues (and the balance is whatever it is). Also the two Lolas also didn't run at all in Q.

The DP times are still around 3 seconds off from the first years ALMS visited Long Beach with LMP1 and LMP2. But if you had those modern cars here in full ACO spec and Michelins today they'd make mockery of not only DP but also IndyCar.

As for the difference between GTE and GT3, I would have actually expected gap to be closer because the SCCA cars are running in full spec and not some slowed down one. GT3 is as fast as GTE if not faster today. Suppose the gap here can be explained by superior teams and drivers in GTE.

Last edited by Deleted; 19 Apr 2015 at 16:54.
Old 19 Apr 2015, 17:26 (Ref:3528948)   #36
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Chiana : I would agree with most of your comment . I am not sure as reguards the mockery of LMP1 and to a lesser extent LMP2's " In a Proper setup with the Best Drivers " beating the DP and other classes .

My main point being pick Silverstone as example IF possible on the same day same track , same weather conditions , same track conditions with each car to 2015 ACO specs ,I would compare times Fastest to Slowest as :
LMP1
Indy Cars * Though I think the times would be closer than most think
LMP2
DP * Again very close times
GTLM
Old 19 Apr 2015, 17:35 (Ref:3528956)   #37
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
At CotA last year, fastest LMP2 quali lap with Dunlop tires was 2,4 seconds faster than Conti-Hoosier equipped Oak Coupe setting overall pole in USCC, so no I don't think it would be close at all between the two. The US P2s also have much bigger air restrictors and track is not shared with faster class during their quali, so it clearly shows how inferior those Hoosiers are.

As for LMP1 (factory), with the ludicrous advancements they've done in the last couple of years and especially for 2015, ICS Dallara would be blown out of the water.

edit - corrected the WEC pole with single fastest lap instead of combined average

Last edited by Deleted; 19 Apr 2015 at 17:48.
Old 19 Apr 2015, 18:40 (Ref:3528980)   #38
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
[I]GT3 is as fast as GTE if not faster today. Suppose the gap here can be explained by superior teams and drivers in GTE.
GT3 is not as fast as GTE. I'm not sure how many times I have to say it on here before people start remembering or believing me. If the GT3 cars had the confidential Michelin tires the factory GTE teams used it would be closer but they'd still be quicker.

-mike
Old 19 Apr 2015, 19:24 (Ref:3528992)   #39
Deleted
Veteran

Look at GT300 times (competitors of whom most are GT3s) from Fuji last year and compare them to factory LMGTE. Proof that if you have something else than lame spec tires and slowed down specs they are already quite a bit faster.

And even with spec tires and running solo. SRO had their Blancpain GT3 tests at Ricard earlier this spring and their top car was half a second faster than the factory LMGTEs two weeks later in their sessions, same track conf and both two day tests.

Also with respect, the top GT3 teams in States are not quite to the same caliber as the top ones elsewhere.

IDK really even know why I'm defending GT3 since it represents everything I don't like. Same goes for current GTE. So I don't have any objectivity here

Last edited by Deleted; 19 Apr 2015 at 19:29.
Old 19 Apr 2015, 19:31 (Ref:3528993)   #40
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
GT3 is not as fast as GTE. I'm not sure how many times I have to say it on here before people start remembering or believing me. If the GT3 cars had the confidential Michelin tires the factory GTE teams used it would be closer but they'd still be quicker.

-mike
Agree at 90% and the reason is simple: it's all about BOP.
In 2012 BES, GT3 cars were equipped with michelin's and had a real aggressive bop (were more powerfull than 2013-2014 seasons). Infact, somehow and sometimes, 2012 BES GT3 cars managed to mark faster laptimes than WEC GTE (comparing the same track performances).
But, however because of BOP, in 2012, the fastest GTE cars were the one running in INT GT OPEN.

So... of course, GTE cars are produced with more racing-born parts than GT3 cars (engine, most of all), but GT3 cars are slower most of all because of BOP.
Old 19 Apr 2015, 19:53 (Ref:3528997)   #41
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Look at GT300 times (competitors of whom most are GT3s) from Fuji last year and compare them to factory LMGTE. Proof that if you have something else than lame spec tires and slowed down specs they are already quite a bit faster.

And even with spec tires and running solo. SRO had their Blancpain GT3 tests at Ricard earlier this spring and their top car was half a second faster than the factory LMGTEs two weeks later in their sessions, same track conf and both two day tests.

Also with respect, the top GT3 teams in States are not quite to the same caliber as the top ones elsewhere.

IDK really even know why I'm defending GT3 since it represents everything I don't like. Same goes for current GTE. So I don't have any objectivity here
Depends very very much on the track. Take Spa last year, fastest GTE lap in the 6h race weekend was a 2:18, fastest GT3 race lap in the 24h was only in the 2:20s.
Old 19 Apr 2015, 20:16 (Ref:3529006)   #42
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon_titanium View Post
Agree at 90% and the reason is simple: it's all about BOP.
In 2012 BES, GT3 cars were equipped with michelin's and had a real aggressive bop (were more powerfull than 2013-2014 seasons). Infact, somehow and sometimes, 2012 BES GT3 cars managed to mark faster laptimes than WEC GTE (comparing the same track performances).
But, however because of BOP, in 2012, the fastest GTE cars were the one running in INT GT OPEN.

So... of course, GTE cars are produced with more racing-born parts than GT3 cars (engine, most of all), but GT3 cars are slower most of all because of BOP.
Could you respond about the differences between GTE and GT3 where the GTE's are built with " More Racing-Born Parts " Please .

Also Mike : If I am reading your post right " CONFIDENTIAL Michelin Tires " ???
Old 19 Apr 2015, 20:22 (Ref:3529010)   #43
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
I see the Ferrari was again fastest in morning warm up, followed by the Mclaren and the Cadillac.
Beretta is going to be tough to beat.
http://www.world-challenge.com/image...up-PRV-1--.PDF
Old 19 Apr 2015, 20:37 (Ref:3529017)   #44
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Baldwin View Post
" CONFIDENTIAL Michelin Tires " ???
The GTLM class was carried over virtually unchanged from the American Lemans Series GT class, so unlike the lower tier tusc classes and also most GT3 based series, GTLM teams and manufacturers are allowed total freedom with developing tire technology. This competition between tire manufacturers creates a racing tire that is much more capable and fine tuned to a specific chassis, than any "off the shelf" racing tire, such is available to teams racing in a series that mandate a spec tire. The competition also creates a lot of secrecy, so not just anyone can buy the same tire used by say Corvette Racing.
Old 19 Apr 2015, 22:12 (Ref:3529049)   #45
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
The GTLM class was carried over virtually unchanged from the American Lemans Series GT class, so unlike the lower tier tusc classes and also most GT3 based series, GTLM teams and manufacturers are allowed total freedom with developing tire technology. This competition between tire manufacturers creates a racing tire that is much more capable and fine tuned to a specific chassis, than any "off the shelf" racing tire, such is available to teams racing in a series that mandate a spec tire. The competition also creates a lot of secrecy, so not just anyone can buy the same tire used by say Corvette Racing.
I´ve heard the same for the P1 teams, Michelin creates specific tires for each team so they cannot complain of bias.
Old 19 Apr 2015, 22:58 (Ref:3529065)   #46
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Might want to tune in early:
Quote:
KBru Communications ‏@KBruComm 3m3 minutes ago We're getting word the @WCRacing will possibly start at 4:20pm, so tune in to http://world-challengetv.com early!
http://www.world-challengetv.com/#/races/1242
Old 19 Apr 2015, 23:03 (Ref:3529067)   #47
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks
Old 19 Apr 2015, 23:05 (Ref:3529072)   #48
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Thank-You TRspitfirefan : I had forgotten some of these little Specialty facts that were brought over from the Merger of the 2 ORG's !! Must be some type of an Inside Secret as I can't say I have read about it or even had it mentioned while watching such on TV .

Starfish Primer : As far as the P1 teams go that would not surprise me .
Old 19 Apr 2015, 23:22 (Ref:3529080)   #49
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Im tuning in, hopefully see something better than last time although seeing how close they are on the grid it looks, tight.
Old 19 Apr 2015, 23:26 (Ref:3529083)   #50
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
I want whatever Jeremy Shaw had for breakfast this morning.

Edit - FCY, Turner BMW stalled on the grid.