Old 27 Aug 2008, 19:24 (Ref:2276473)   #1
ant
Rookie

United Kingdom
wickford, essex
ant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
newbie here couple of questions?

hi im new here
im only 15 and i have built 2 trikes, i am now going to build a spaceframed ford anglia 105e.
i am planning on using a 1.6 zetec se engine and a type 9 gearbox. i like the idea of the se engine because it is a pretty unexplored engine and is very light, looking at some data on them i think it should be quite easy to make a reasonable amount of power from this engine, however i am going to build the rest of the car so that it can take a fair amount more power, then if i ever have enough money to make more power i wont have to worry about uprating the rest of the car. i am going to stick with a live axle but it will be 4 linked and i am planning to use equal length wishbone front suspension , based on sierra uprights. with a pushrod/pullrod damper.
i am planning on building the shell up to still have a steel floor but for the floor to be in line with the bottom of the sills, giving the car a flat bottom, i understand that this will need to slop upwards towards the rear where i plan to fit a rear diffuser.

the car will be a track toy but will stay road legal.

does anyone have any information on the tuning of the zetec se engine? is there any race series or race cars that use this engine?

any advice would be appreciated.
thanks
ant

heres some pictures of my trikes:
the little c90 powered on i built when i was 12

xj900 engined one nearly finished
Old 27 Aug 2008, 19:37 (Ref:2276484)   #2
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The trikes look awsome bits of kit and welcome to 10 Tenths.
For Zetec engine tuning I believe Burtons at Ilford do a lot of stuff for this unit.
Old 29 Aug 2008, 20:12 (Ref:2277688)   #3
ant
Rookie

United Kingdom
wickford, essex
yes burtons do do a few bits for the engine mate but not loads... i have found a man who is putting one in a kaddet and he has told me of a few places to speak to
im going to order uprights soon, then i just need to find an engine and im ready to start building it... does anyone have any general advice about building spaceframes..... i know the following:
no T loadings
a tube should have more than one use
start from the wheels up
dont over engineer brackets
get all weight as low as possible

any other advice please?

thanks
Old 30 Aug 2008, 05:32 (Ref:2277869)   #4
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Going by the fantastic effort you have made with the trikes Ant,I think the only advice you need is,carry on the good work! As for the space frame,work out the triagulations from the door appertures,if your having doors that is.
I take it you will be using a 50mm main hoop,which will be the "B" pillar and work out from there.
Old 30 Aug 2008, 07:59 (Ref:2277900)   #5
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Going by the fantastic effort you have made with the trikes Ant,I think the only advice you need is,carry on the good work!
Old 30 Aug 2008, 08:06 (Ref:2277903)   #6
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
"Race car chassis design and construction" by Forbes Aird is a decent read. Chapter 4 for Spaceframes.

James
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 30 Aug 2008, 09:20 (Ref:2277944)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Nice to see a young guy doing some hands on work well done they look great!
Old 30 Aug 2008, 10:58 (Ref:2277990)   #8
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome

Welcome Ant...I want to be like you when I grow up!! Best of luck with the project
Old 30 Aug 2008, 19:26 (Ref:2278269)   #9
ant
Rookie

United Kingdom
wickford, essex
thanks for the comments

im going to order my uprights soon... im going to get them from rally design, im trying to decide/ calculate weather or not to use their lower ball joints? as this will make it very difficult to make the lower wishbone adjustable on all 3 points, is this a bad disadvantage or dosent it really matter as it will be adjustable on the 2 points that mount to the chassis? not sure about that?

thanks
Old 1 Sep 2008, 06:15 (Ref:2279143)   #10
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
In my limited experience most (race) cars would only have upper adjustable BJ's, plus track rods. You can give forward back adjustability at the other end of the wishbones by making the brackets larger if you need that. In/Out would only increase track, but I suppose would be useful for curing bump steer.

James
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 1 Sep 2008, 06:40 (Ref:2279151)   #11
ant
Rookie

United Kingdom
wickford, essex
o.k thanks mate