Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 21 Nov 2007, 10:59 (Ref:2072377)   #1
Charlies
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
Charlies should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trivia Question

I recently went to the Donington Park Collection (very impressive, especially the McLaren Hall), but what intrigued me was a car that resembled a 1950's Ferrari, front-engined, but built to modern standards.

I remember them racing at Donington supporting the BTCC in '95, I think. As I recall there was a fairly good grid, so I wondered where they've gone. Was it just a one off race?
Old 21 Nov 2007, 13:11 (Ref:2072453)   #2
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
er, if I've got this right, that's either a 'replica' or a 'continuation'
Old 21 Nov 2007, 13:18 (Ref:2072463)   #3
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlies
I recently went to the Donington Park Collection (very impressive, especially the McLaren Hall), but what intrigued me was a car that resembled a 1950's Ferrari, front-engined, but built to modern standards.

I remember them racing at Donington supporting the BTCC in '95, I think. As I recall there was a fairly good grid, so I wondered where they've gone. Was it just a one off race?
I can't remember what they were called, but the cars were commissioned by Tom Wheatcroft for what I think was supposed to be a championship some years ago.
I think that the idea was that the cars would all be prepared and taken to the meetings, with (paying) drivers acting purely on an 'arrive & drive' basis.
The cars were set up with lots of power (a 2.4 litre Millington engine I think) and little mechanical grip aiming for spectacular racing. (I think Tom himself managed less that one lap before dumping one in the gravel trap!).
Unfortunately the 'series' didn't seem to take off, presumably due to the costs involved.
No doubt, someone more knowledgeable than myself will be along soon the explain this all properly...
Old 21 Nov 2007, 13:41 (Ref:2072483)   #4
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
It was called 'Formula Classic'.
Old 21 Nov 2007, 13:49 (Ref:2072492)   #5
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As above, Formula Classic. The idea IIRC was that each driver/entrant paid a set amount and the cars were transported and run on their behalf.

It was a classic alternative to TVR Tuscans and Pro-Sport 3000 and I know my late Dad was involved in some of the testing, when I get a moment I'll try and post a picture of hime driving a silver one.

I think what killed it off was a lack of entries but all the cars do still exist
Old 21 Nov 2007, 20:38 (Ref:2072785)   #6
Charlies
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
Thanks for the replies, it’s a shame so much effort was put into it, as I remember the racing being quite good (even though I was about 9 at the time).

Last edited by Charlies; 21 Nov 2007 at 20:41.
Old 21 Nov 2007, 22:27 (Ref:2072935)   #7
GBRM
Veteran

England
As promised:-

Old 22 Nov 2007, 17:01 (Ref:2073634)   #8
Charlies
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
Thanks for the picture; it looks even bigger than it seemed in the museum. Are any still racing?
Old 22 Nov 2007, 17:22 (Ref:2073652)   #9
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One of the things which killed this off was a shambles over the engines. At the first (and only?) meeting at Donington I seem to recall that more engines failed than completed the event. Might have been an installation issue?

I seem to recall that the engines were from another supplier than the one quoted above.

Tom tried to flog off the cars a few years ago but I understand that nothing came of it.

Regards

Jim
Old 22 Nov 2007, 18:20 (Ref:2073690)   #10
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlies
Thanks for the picture; it looks even bigger than it seemed in the museum. Are any still racing?
I don't think so as they were/are all owned by Tom Wheatcroft.