Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Aug 2013, 11:05 (Ref:3291670)   #151
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
Rather than fixating on the Riccardo vs Vergne point which has been done to death, could anyone honestly say that, removing the context behind it, Ricciardo deserves a seat in the champion team based on his performances to date.

In other words, if he wasn't part of the Red Bull driver programme, would a team like Red Bull, or even Merc, Ferrari, Lotus or McLaren, even consider him?
Probably yes, RBR and Herr Marko are obviously pretty happy with what they have seen.

Ricciardo is very quick, and I think he has been told to take it slow and steady.

Will be interesting ...
Old 19 Aug 2013, 14:34 (Ref:3291742)   #152
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Rather than fixating on the Riccardo vs Vergne point which has been done to death, could anyone honestly say that, removing the context behind it, Ricciardo deserves a seat in the champion team based on his performances to date.

In other words, if he wasn't part of the Red Bull driver programme, would a team like Red Bull, or even Merc, Ferrari, Lotus or McLaren, even consider him?
nope.

i'd choose frijns for example over him any day - frijns has very silly speed in all situations and just needs a bit of aggression taking out of him. he has something to prove. ricciardo has taken two seasons and hasn't quite proven anything yet.

(standard fangirl disclaimer applies)
Old 19 Aug 2013, 14:45 (Ref:3291747)   #153
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Vergne's lack of qually skills shown so far is a problem, though.
Old 19 Aug 2013, 14:54 (Ref:3291749)   #154
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
only if you're looking for a lead driver and not a points scorer. i still don't think they've figured out what his problem is and what causes it. otherwise after 2 seasons they'd have bailed out on him. there is very little noise suggesting that it's even anywhere near being considered for the end of the year.
Old 20 Aug 2013, 00:17 (Ref:3291891)   #155
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
Daniel Ricciardo, driver of Red Bull Racing's RB10 F1 car.

Has a nice ring to it doesn't it?

This will be fun.
^^^^

Annoucement to be made on Thursday mornng.

Old 20 Aug 2013, 00:25 (Ref:3291893)   #156
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
nope.

i'd choose frijns for example over him any day - frijns has very silly speed in all situations and just needs a bit of aggression taking out of him. he has something to prove. ricciardo has taken two seasons and hasn't quite proven anything yet.

(standard fangirl disclaimer applies)
Hoping Frijns would be a top contender for the STR seat that Ricciardo leaves.

Up and comers:
Frijns, Bianchi, and I like the look of Sainz Jnr.
Old 20 Aug 2013, 00:29 (Ref:3291895)   #157
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Bild are reporting that Dan will be unveiled as the new Red Bull driver at Spa.

I just can't help but feel very underwhelmed by him as a choice. Red Bull is a world class team and needs a world class driver. Ricciardo is solid but not spectacular. There are simply just much better drivers in the paddock, including JEV, who deserve it more. Ultimately no other top team would even consider Dan based on his career to date. It just feels wrong that he coasts into the best team of them all when his racecraft leaves a lot to be desired still.

Right - the Australians can lynch me now!
He's there as a number two to avoid the stress of having two big shots in the one team. My instinct is that he'll stay number two for the entire time he'll be at Red Bull. I hope he proves me wrong but I think that is what is going to happen.
Old 20 Aug 2013, 02:52 (Ref:3291921)   #158
321Go
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
He's there as a number two to avoid the stress of having two big shots in the one team. My instinct is that he'll stay number two for the entire time he'll be at Red Bull. I hope he proves me wrong but I think that is what is going to happen.
As much as I hate to say it, I think this is the reality of the decision. DanRic will be more passive, and an easy number two to Vettel. Greatful for being given the chance. Where as JEV, I think, would have been a bit harder to tame, and probably been a Mark Webber like number two; someone who will not accept reality. Is this why JEV was overlooked for the seat?? Maybe?? Maybe not?? But the decision to give Daniel the drive is much more a calculated decision than what it seems from the outside.
Old 20 Aug 2013, 03:05 (Ref:3291923)   #159
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A calculated decision, and a prove to promote Red Bull drivers into F1. Ricciardo to RBR, Félix Da Costa to STR.
Old 20 Aug 2013, 10:46 (Ref:3291989)   #160
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Hoping Frijns would be a top contender for the STR seat that Ricciardo leaves.

Up and comers:
Frijns, Bianchi, and I like the look of Sainz Jnr.
i think it'd be great rep for toro rosso and f1 if frijns would be a contender for that seat but let's be real, he kicked them into the long grass earlier in his career when they wanted him so it'd be unlikely

i like sainz jnr too, but that's probably because his actual driving is god-like and he's fun to watch. seeing epic driving is more entertaining and let's face it, more interesting than some of the "races" that happen in single seaters right now
Old 20 Aug 2013, 11:12 (Ref:3291994)   #161
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i think it'd be great rep for toro rosso and f1 if frijns would be a contender for that seat but let's be real, he kicked them into the long grass earlier in his career when they wanted him so it'd be unlikely

i like sainz jnr too, but that's probably because his actual driving is god-like and he's fun to watch. seeing epic driving is more entertaining and let's face it, more interesting than some of the "races" that happen in single seaters right now

Dare we hope Sainz jnr. gets it?
Old 20 Aug 2013, 11:22 (Ref:3291997)   #162
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
He's been playing the prospect down in the media, but that could be false modesty.
Old 20 Aug 2013, 11:35 (Ref:3291999)   #163
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i could see him doing friday drives for toro rosso but given he's only had a few gos in a big single seater it'd be a bit premature to put him in a f1 car in races. usually the f1 newbies have a year and a half of racing in at least 3.5 behind them.
Old 20 Aug 2013, 11:40 (Ref:3292000)   #164
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's obvious that Felix Da Costa will be a Toro Rosso driver next year.

Surely there's a bit of a question mark whether Sainz will continue as part of the Red Bull junior programme? He hasn't exactly starred in GP3 this year. My sense is that his decent performances in the Young Driver test and FR 3.5 will save him, but he's in last chance saloon next year in a FR 3.5 seat.
Old 20 Aug 2013, 12:11 (Ref:3292005)   #165
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
perhaps he's going to be "saved" by the same type of mitigating circumstances that give da costa a free pass for his rough season this year. in a way, vergne and ricciardo were lucky because the formula renault 3.5 car at the time was very consistent and reliable, and the right team/driver combination would make the difference. this season has been far more... susceptible (if i could spell it...) to engine/car b0rks. gp3 has been very inconsistent this season.
Old 20 Aug 2013, 13:05 (Ref:3292021)   #166
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't really comment on FR 3.5 (but you're the expert anyway Bella ). GP3 is always an utter lottery - minimal practice time and qualifying being far too much of an influence on the weekends' results.

I can't see Kvyat survive this year in the Red Bull junior team. I would quite like to see them take a slightly more developed driver as they did last year with AFDC.
Old 20 Aug 2013, 13:31 (Ref:3292026)   #167
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
that goes to something that was being pondered on the other thread - who out there in that sort of stage of their career is worth red bull investing in?

(if i'm considered an expert then motorsport is really in a bad way )
Old 20 Aug 2013, 16:25 (Ref:3292071)   #168
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Anyway, there's some quality drivers in GP3 who can't seem to nail it every time out (ones we just know are good because they've won in better cars in the past ) so I wouldn't rate anyone on the basis of GP3 tbh, it's just a parade.

Sainz was pretty mega in his 4 3.5 outings on the whole so that's all we need as an indicator surely?

I think it's logical to suggest that he'll replace AFDC as Red Bull's 3.5 driver next year and then if he does well move up to STR in 2015.
Old 21 Aug 2013, 04:35 (Ref:3292254)   #169
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Vergne

16 - 13 in 2012
&
11 - 10 so far this year.
It is one measure. The other is who has had more points finishes and had two car failures whilst in points position? (DR) In the latter he actually gave the position to Jev in India which I think was JEVs best result to that point.

So throw it all in a bucket and mix it all around and one measure gives it to one, another measure the other. They are too clsoe to call in that car with reliability issues. The team are sayings its purely down to the added experience of Dan over his extra half season.

And forgetting sponsorship...Brundle and other punters have seemed pretty supportive of his form and complementary of his ability and "domination" of Jev. So I think Hulk, Di Resta etc could have tried to grab the seat but dont think anyone would be a clear choice for the seat alongside Vettel.

At the end of it we get to see whether he is an almost man or the real deal.
Old 31 Aug 2013, 22:30 (Ref:3296880)   #170
321Go
Veteran

So.. Mr Ricciardo has just moved and settled into his new home in Monaco. Usually the home of the rich, not really for someone on a £300,000 a year earnings. Hmmm..
Old 1 Sep 2013, 09:15 (Ref:3297008)   #171
ace007
Racer

ace007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Da Costa disappoints since his WSR car is "more leveled" this year... Sainz not ready yet.

I would like to see Bird next to Vergne!
Old 1 Sep 2013, 11:34 (Ref:3297035)   #172
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
really? you don't say
Old 2 Sep 2013, 10:31 (Ref:3297727)   #173
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace007 View Post
Da Costa disappoints since his WSR car is "more leveled" this year... Sainz not ready yet.

I would like to see Bird next to Vergne!
There's about as much chance of Sam Bird joining STR as there is Juan Pablo Montoya....

Ooh hang on, now there's a tasty thought!!
Old 2 Sep 2013, 20:21 (Ref:3298027)   #174
alan1302
Racer

England
Doncaster, UK
alan1302 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just confirmed on BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/23938308

Ricciardo at Red Bull next year
Old 2 Sep 2013, 20:55 (Ref:3298053)   #175
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty happy all things considered. Its interesting what a mate said on the weekend. People criticise that RB are veyr hard on their Jrs and how they get thrown out at a whim and change...yet now Dan has survived this process and been given the nod people seem set on saying its a cop out and he is only their because of the program.

All things considered it at least shows that he is the strongest of the latest bunch in the eyes of RBR...now he has his chance lets see what he makes of it

For me, just need to get Romain back ot his usual smiles and you may actually have two guys at the front of the grid who actually look like they enjoy their jobs