Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 29 Apr 2003, 11:17 (Ref:583663)   #1
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Additives and lead substitutes for petrol.

I have been using Tetraboost lead additive in my pre war cars for two years now, the octane rating is boosted, and the cars run cleanly. However I have not had to take down an engine since I started. Has anyone direct knowledge as to whether this or any other additive actually does prevent valve seat recession in use rather than in theory?

The other products are all replacements for lead, Tetraboost actually is Tetra Ethlyl lead, so it ought to do the same exactly as the old leade petrol. It is expensive though.... You can find more info on www.tetraboost.com

Anyway any comments would be appreciated.
Old 29 Apr 2003, 13:21 (Ref:583760)   #2
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
they were handing out leaflets for this at Julius' Goodwood test day, I have been using Millers CVL upto now so I am interested in hearing whether any comparisons of the two on race engines
Old 29 Apr 2003, 13:27 (Ref:583766)   #3
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
LG uses Millers CVL too with SUper unleaded in the Lotus twin-cam. . . .Ive not heard of any detrimental damage to valve seats or anything, and the engine is rebuilt with alarming regularity, so it gets checked often enough.
Old 29 Apr 2003, 14:53 (Ref:583863)   #4
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes CVL and Shell Optimax is considered the best cocktail! Is Leas out at Donington on Monday?
Old 29 Apr 2003, 14:55 (Ref:583868)   #5
simon drabble
Veteran

sri I Mean Les!!
Old 29 Apr 2003, 15:11 (Ref:583883)   #6
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
yes, although his cars still in bits . . . .dont ask me why, a combination of work and inneficient mechanics I think

not sure what hes racing, possibly the red left hooker Loti?

we're driving up from Brighton on Monday morning just to spectate and have a wander.
Old 29 Apr 2003, 16:27 (Ref:583981)   #7
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Mmmmmnnn (thinks) CVL still is a substitiute if its not actually lead... Tetraboost has tha added advantage of actually and genuinely boosting the octane rating, after all that is why they added Tetra Ethyl Lead in the first place, less valve seat recession and extended valve life were unexpected serendipitous side effects. There is a story in one of my books somewhere of Sprint Car racers in the USa about 1929 being offered it in the paddock and wondering in amazement where the extra horses had come from.

Steve McQueen.
Old 29 Apr 2003, 16:27 (Ref:583985)   #8
KellisonRacer
Rookie

KellisonRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can you not still buy leaded race gas in the UK? I know that even here with the EPA hounding everyone you can still get it in every flavor under the sun.
Old 29 Apr 2003, 16:29 (Ref:583988)   #9
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Message to Simon, will you be at Silverstone the may weekend, 16th 17th? I would like to chat about trying HSCC racing, {after 21 years with the VSCC!} you refuse private messages so I can't contact you directly, but you can contact me!

Steve McQueen.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 05:21 (Ref:584558)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Eclectic. As far as I know Millers is the only additive which the FIA approves (I stand to be corrected though) and it is also an octane booster.

Simon. Using CVL with super unleaded may actually put you over the permitted octane rating for the UK.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 08:02 (Ref:584652)   #11
simon drabble
Veteran

not sure why I refuse private messages - i am not technically advanced and if someone can telll me how to reverse that I will!
yes I will I am racing with VSCC and HSCC that weekend.
If you want my normal email address you will find it on my advert in racecardirect.com its headed FIA 1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT!
Re Millers and CVL are you sure Peter as most engine builders advise this combination, obviously I dont I use the combination that keeps my octane below the limit!!!
Old 30 Apr 2003, 09:13 (Ref:584710)   #12
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Simon, Looks like Les is only a reserve so theres doubts about Monday now, I think J& I are going to head up anyway as it should be a good day out. As long as my new 'project' doesnt keep me otherwise engaged

does anyone have a schedule of events for Monday? I guess it'll only be a tenner or so to get in?
Old 30 Apr 2003, 10:15 (Ref:584775)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by simon drabble
not sure why I refuse private messages - i am not technically advanced and if someone can telll me how to reverse that I will!
yes I will I am racing with VSCC and HSCC that weekend.
If you want my normal email address you will find it on my advert in racecardirect.com its headed FIA 1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT!
Try going to your profile and editing it.

Quote:
Originally posted by simon drabble
Re Millers and CVL are you sure Peter as most engine builders advise this combination, obviously I dont I use the combination that keeps my octane below the limit!!!
I'm willing to be corrected but Millers sponsored us a couple of years back and at that time it was the case. Have a word with Ken Clarke (sort your pms out and I'll send you his number). He prepares cars for Top Hat and CTCRC (including mine). He knows the deets.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 12:22 (Ref:584937)   #14
simon drabble
Veteran

i just tried sending myself a private message and it seems to work ok. thanks for the information , i shall make sure I use normal unleaded. As a matter of interest is there a cheaper way of buying CVL than Demon Tweeks as they do not discount for bulk buying. I dont think Millers allow direct buying or am I wrong? normally am!!!
Old 30 Apr 2003, 12:25 (Ref:584939)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I've pm'd Ken's number. Give him a bell.

Good luck this weekend BTW.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 12:31 (Ref:584948)   #16
simon drabble
Veteran

order of events for Monday are as follows
qualifying
Best of British featuring Spirit of MG Trophy 09.00
Top Hat 09.25
Cloth Cap 10.03
monoposto Racing Trophy 10.43
Top Hat Sebring Salute GT cars 11.06
Force 11.30
racing
FIA Lurani Formula Junior 12.55
Best of British 13.25
Top Hat 14.05
Cloth Cap 15.17
Force 16.27
Top Hat Sebring 16.54
Monoposto Racing Trophy 17.31

I saw Les was down as a reserve - he should have a wad of tickets and passes. Amazingly there are resreves on every race! Who said there was too much racing?!!!
Old 30 Apr 2003, 12:32 (Ref:584950)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by KellisonRacer
Can you not still buy leaded race gas in the UK? I know that even here with the EPA hounding everyone you can still get it in every flavor under the sun.
Apologies.

Welcome KellisonRacer.

Unfortunately you can't get leaded at any race circuits in the UK. You can buy it in limited locations but it is better to convert to hardened seats and run unleaded. The Super unleaded at spa is extremely good.

However the UK is unleaded and then we run an additive.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 12:35 (Ref:584954)   #18
simon drabble
Veteran

I thought Silverstone sold old fashioned 4 star?
Old 30 Apr 2003, 13:07 (Ref:584993)   #19
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I filled up my MK1 Cortina at Spa, it purred at 80mph all the way back to England, then I had to fill up with crappy low octane 70's russian standard petrol . . booo :-(

I'll give Les a ring, we'll be there as quickly as gettingup on a MOnday morning allows! thanks for the order of events.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 21:07 (Ref:585618)   #20
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
although race engines work hard they dont tend to do a huge milage between rebuilds so it difficult to generalise and rev limits will also have an effect (more revs= more load= more wear), but its easy to moniter seat resession by regulary checking the valve clearances, for what its worth and this refers to my 1971 bmw 2002 which has an alloy head but seats that are not supposed to be unleaded compatable. Before i fitted bigger valves with new hardened new seats, after a winters rebuild and resetting the clearances after its first event the clearances would not need readjusting for the rest of the season despite a rev limit of 7,800 rpm, and yes i did regulary recheck them.

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 1 May 2003, 15:20 (Ref:586333)   #21
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Im off to the machine shop today to collect my precrossflow head, bigger valves and hardened seats, hopefully that'll be good enough . . . . not sure if 7800rpm is a good idea though !
Old 2 May 2003, 05:21 (Ref:586967)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Excited or what?
Old 2 May 2003, 13:40 (Ref:587373)   #23
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I would have been but he hasnt done it yet!
I got my checked and ok'd crank with a new set of race bearings though
next month steel flywheel,clutch and a bit of balancing I think
Old 2 May 2003, 14:08 (Ref:587400)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by zefarelly
Old 2 May 2003, 14:43 (Ref:587477)   #25
Tedebear
Rookie

Tedebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by zefarelly
Hmmmm - decorate the new bedroom/kitchen/house or ... flywheel, clutch, head, race car!!...... decisions decisions