Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 12 May 2004, 08:32 (Ref:968415)   #1
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Next Year In LMP1

so what are the rules for next year's LMP1 class in regards to current cars? i.e. what are the current LMES teams required to do with their non-2004-spec cars (mind you this is the whole field except the nasamax, and the c65 cars in lmp2...) and how long are the current era cars legal?
Old 12 May 2004, 10:44 (Ref:968526)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The ACO reserve the right to penalise the old cars more if required. The main problem here being with the Audis, but the R9 should solve that.
Old 12 May 2004, 13:17 (Ref:968691)   #3
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
IMSA will allow the current reg cars to run through to the end of 2005.

The ACO may have to as well, as there still hasn't been a single purpose built LMP1 announced for construction. The Audi "R9" as we call it, will not appear until such time as there is worthy competition announced. (So at this time, 05' is certainly doubtful)

As per normal, things will begin to fall in place (or not) come the Fall.
Old 12 May 2004, 16:49 (Ref:968920)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't the new Nasamax car made to the new specs? Seems to me that is what I have read.
Old 12 May 2004, 18:01 (Ref:968963)   #5
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
I believe that the Nasamax car was reconfigured to the new specs, but is not a true LMP1 design from the beginning.
Old 12 May 2004, 18:05 (Ref:968970)   #6
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
...which makes it a hybrid, eligible for competition up to the end of '06.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 12 May 2004, 18:31 (Ref:969002)   #7
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lister is currently building a new LMP1 car.

The DBA/Zytek teams are eveluating all avenues, such as a totally new car, Hybrid or staying the same.

I personally think many teams will be encouraged by the performance of the NASAMAX, and the short time it took for the team to build the Hybrid car.
Old 12 May 2004, 19:17 (Ref:969053)   #8
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
Lister is currently building a new LMP1 car.

The DBA/Zytek teams are eveluating all avenues, such as a totally new car, Hybrid or staying the same.

I personally think many teams will be encouraged by the performance of the NASAMAX, and the short time it took for the team to build the Hybrid car.

I thought that some of the Zyteks are listed in entry lists as "Zytek 04" cars????

But last year's chassis is still listed as a DBA/Zytek.....

Does that mean that the "DBA" car is still in 2003 specs???

and for the "Zytek 04s"...are they "Hybrids?"

Please advise....

Thanks!

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 12 May 2004, 19:28 (Ref:969064)   #9
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Zytek 04s are 'new' evolutions of the 'DBA'. They are lighter and have other tweaks.

Creation can buy the mods for their car if they so wish.

The Zytek 04s is still a 2003 spec car.

Zytek, IMO, will look at either producing a hybrid of the current car, or building a brand new LMP1 car, based on the running gear of the 2003 spec car.

Zytek are in prototypes for the long term, as has been shown with there commitment to running a works team. The whole point of the team is to demonstrate the cars performance to potential customers.

Last edited by JAG; 12 May 2004 at 19:30.
Old 12 May 2004, 19:37 (Ref:969070)   #10
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks for the clarification, Jag...

I was under the impression that they were Hybrids already....

Glad you raised the issue and set me straight....

I appreciate it...

Old 13 May 2004, 01:43 (Ref:969359)   #11
tblincoe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
The Zytek 04s are 'new' evolutions of the 'DBA'. They are lighter and have other tweaks.

Creation can buy the mods for their car if they so wish.

The Zytek 04s is still a 2003 spec car.

Zytek, IMO, will look at either producing a hybrid of the current car, or building a brand new LMP1 car, based on the running gear of the 2003 spec car.

Zytek are in prototypes for the long term, as has been shown with there commitment to running a works team. The whole point of the team is to demonstrate the cars performance to potential customers.
great to hear Zytec is in it for the long haul... i hope their future cars are as good as their current car as we need people to pressure the Audis in the future
Old 13 May 2004, 05:01 (Ref:969443)   #12
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
At my knowing, there's only one LMP1 for now : the Nasamax.

Henri Pescarolo said that it was too expensive to develop a new car... we may still have a significant field of old "LMP900" next year...
Old 13 May 2004, 06:15 (Ref:969468)   #13
tblincoe
Veteran

that's true fab, but after this year the cars will not be eligible so these guys better start figuring something out this off-season or they are going to have to race in gts or something like that in 2006
Old 13 May 2004, 07:20 (Ref:969496)   #14
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
Thanks for the clarification, Jag...

I was under the impression that they were Hybrids already....

Glad you raised the issue and set me straight....

I appreciate it...
You probably just thought they must be built to the 04/05 regs because they look so ugly
But then you realised it really is that bad
Old 13 May 2004, 08:25 (Ref:969545)   #15
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by tblincoe
that's true fab, but after this year the cars will not be eligible so these guys better start figuring something out this off-season or they are going to have to race in gts or something like that in 2006
What if there's nobody to build LMP1s ?

ACO wil have to do what ALMS did this year : postpone / cope with...
Old 13 May 2004, 09:20 (Ref:969592)   #16
Wout
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Wout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lammers has said that 2004 was the last year for RFH with the current Dome and that he will continue with driving Dome's.
This suggest that Dome will built a new car which should probably be a LMP1?!
Old 13 May 2004, 10:58 (Ref:969669)   #17
marcush.
Racer

Equatorial Guinea
Bad Ems /Germany
marcush. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Creation car is the only DBA wich was build.It is quite similar to the Zytek but Creation has its own development programme in place.

So in terms of Aero and Suspension they do their own thing.Additionally they have different electrical systems and rely on Megaline for the paddle shift ,wich is the same system as Audi has.
Zytek has developed their own shift system for the box.
I think the Transmission itself is the same but was something of a weak ness of the car in recent years.If this was just a maintainance issue or a design flaw is up to speculation,the Creation car was retired in monza with transmission failure ,but that may have been a
result of the suspension issues they suffered before.
Zyteks works engine is said to be more powerfull and the Zytek car is a bit lighter as well.
Zytek uses Michelin tyres ,Creation is on Dunlop.
I really hope Zytek can prove the concept right in LeMans and maybe in LMES and sell some of these cars ...
I´d really like to see two of those in Creation blue for next year...
and in LeMans ,of course.

Last edited by marcush.; 13 May 2004 at 11:03.
Old 14 May 2004, 04:39 (Ref:970503)   #18
JAG
Veteran

England
I have had e-mails from most of the front running LMES LMP1 teams and they all state they will look at building a Hybrid, or buy a new car for 2005. NASAMAX have shown the potential performance of these new cars, and have manged to build a LMP1 car on a comparitively low budget.

BTW, current cars can race in 2005 but with further restrictions. If NASAMX and Lister can afford to produce new cars, I'm sure most other front running teams can also.

Also lets not forget that the LMES is becoming a very attractive series for manufactuers and teams, and we should see new investment in the series in 2005.

Last edited by JAG; 14 May 2004 at 04:42.
Old 14 May 2004, 13:30 (Ref:970918)   #19
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
As a guy who has been quite critical of Nasamax over the past 16 months, I must say that their effort last weekend was superb!!!!

I was quite impressed with the entire effort....the Judd GV5 makes a world of difference in that car...

and I wish them the very best as LM approaches and the LMES season unfolds....

Old 14 May 2004, 13:31 (Ref:970921)   #20
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
BTW....

I'll take that "Crow" cooked medium-rare, with a bottle of vinegar to wash it down.....

Old 14 May 2004, 18:33 (Ref:971143)   #21
Sean Crockett
Racer

Wales
South Wales (UK)
Sean Crockett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
lets not forget that the LMES is becoming a very attractive series for manufactuers and teams, and we should see new investment in the series in 2005.
I certainly hope so!
Old 14 May 2004, 19:11 (Ref:971182)   #22
auntie j
Rookie

auntie j should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monza spectators

I was told at the Monza race that there were 3000 spectators, official figure, which is usually inflated by the circuits. The weather had been unsettled with occasional heavy rain, which did not help ... the race TV coverage looked very good.
Old 14 May 2004, 19:26 (Ref:971199)   #23
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Re: Monza spectators

Quote:
Originally posted by auntie j
I was told at the Monza race that there were 3000 spectators, official figure, which is usually inflated by the circuits. The weather had been unsettled with occasional heavy rain, which did not help ... the race TV coverage looked very good.

Is that "Three-Thousand?"

or was a zero left out of it? and it should have read "30,000???"

3,000 people?????

To see the Opening Race of the new European Sportscar Series?

With a field like they had there for that event???

Rain or no rain, you've got to be kidding me!!!!!!

Yeah, I know that the Spanish GP in F-1 was on at the same time....but it's not like the entire planet didn't know who was going to win the F-1 race at Barcelona...

How many fans did the FIA-SCC draw at Monza last summer??

They only had 15 0r 16 cars there for that one...this field was triple the size with the Audis, etc...

If that figure is correct that is pathetic....

Local dirt car tracks with amateur teams racing on the grids draw crowds like that here in the States...

If the crowd numbers don't go up at Monza in future years, I hope the ACO pulls the event from them and gives the opener to a city or a country that will give the LMES the support it deserves!!!!

The Italian racing fans should be ashamed of themselves.....other places would have LOVED to have hosted that Season-Opening event...

Old 14 May 2004, 19:34 (Ref:971206)   #24
JAG
Veteran

England
Tim you need to understand that Italian fans watch nothing but F1 and Rallying.

In the Group C years, the crowds were tiny in the early years, and only grew by staging the race at Monza year after year, and building the support through word of mouth.

I would expect Silverstone and Nurburgring to be big success' and to attract 20,000+ and Spa anything upto 40-50,000+

Last edited by JAG; 14 May 2004 at 19:37.
Old 14 May 2004, 19:36 (Ref:971208)   #25
auntie j
Rookie

auntie j should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes I am sorry that was three thousand spectators. The grandstands were very empty - I think everyone was in the paddock at one time! And certainly in the pitlane!

We did not see a single poster, flyer or TV ad for the race all week, although I was assured by the LMES that there had been a lot of promotion, including handing out promos to people leaving football games, posters in all the big cities ...

I have to add that one of our guests was trying to find the circuit, and he could actually hear the cars practising, yet when he stopped to ask the way, 2 Italian people did not know where the 'autodromo' was. The circuit is a well kept secret.

Perhaps thirty thousand tried to find it and only 10% did! We got lost nearly every day on the way to the hotel from the circuit.