Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > Predictions Competitions

Old 11 May 2007, 10:42 (Ref:1910956)   #1
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Predictions competition(s) for Le Mans: Commentary

I've been giving a little thought to this year's Le Mans predictions competitions..........

Thanks to jhansen (), we now have our season long predictions competition in the sub-forum which is running supremely well. I am loathe to depart from the format that has been set up there and would like that competition to continue undisturbed and unaltered for Le Mans.

But Le Mans is different and I would also like to see the large numbers of members who have enthusiastically demonstrated their skills (or lack of them ) in the past get involved once again.

So, my thinking is this; jhansen will host the Le Mans round of the competition in our sub-forum to the rules of that competition, and the 'traditional' Le Mans polesitter/poletime + winner/laps competition should be run simultaneously in the main Sportscar and GT forum (the threads can then be moved to the Sub-Forum after the race).

If anyone has any objections to this proposal, please say so, it's completely open to discussion and amendment.

It does occur to me, however, that we would need someone who is properly qualified in such things to agree to run the 'traditional' competition in the main Sportscar and GT forum. Now, let me see........you don't suppose.......would he?

edit: Competition thread can be found >>here<<.

Last edited by paul-collins; 17 May 2007 at 20:54.
Old 11 May 2007, 10:56 (Ref:1910963)   #2
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
He might just be open to that "if" you fill him up with red wine come June !!!

Oh , good idea 03 .
Old 11 May 2007, 12:19 (Ref:1911021)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmmmmmm........

Well, if the person you have in mind can't do it, I guess I might be prepared to give it a go........
Old 11 May 2007, 12:49 (Ref:1911056)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Assuming that this is the pre-competition discussion thread then, would anyone object if there was just one prediction thread instead of the traditional two - but with each poster putting in predictions for pole time and race win etc. in the same post? It would just cut down on editing/analysis time.....
Old 11 May 2007, 13:34 (Ref:1911081)   #5
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
That would be fine with me Ayse .....
Old 11 May 2007, 15:33 (Ref:1911164)   #6
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I went back to 2005 to see how we should be formatting the data:

Tables!

UserTeamNumberTime
Aysedasi Audi Sport UK Team Veloqx #8 3m31.42
Truckosaurus Zytek #22 3m32.000
Let's define the columns we need:

User|Pole Winner #|Pole Time| Race Winner #|Laps|Race 2nd|Race 3rd

I suggest we forego any but the most basic descriptors of the cars (for instance, not "Audi Sport North America R10", just "Audi R10" or ASNA only) if we do it at all. What's the forum preference, team name or chassis/engine? Ideally we should limit it to 10 characters or less, otherwise it might not work well in the browser window.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 11 May 2007, 15:50 (Ref:1911174)   #7
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great idea! We should stick with tradition after all. This is Le Mans.

As for car descriptor, I say keep it simple. #1 Audi, #16 Pescarolo, or #63 Corvette.
Old 11 May 2007, 17:10 (Ref:1911225)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I go with just the car number - so much easier and we can always reproduce the numbers at the beginning of the thread, just in case.
Old 11 May 2007, 22:27 (Ref:1911358)   #9
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
Hmmmmmm........

Well, if the person you have in mind can't do it, I guess I might be prepared to give it a go........
Thank you, Ayse!

Somehow, it just wouldn't be the same without you running it!
Old 12 May 2007, 15:08 (Ref:1911695)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
No worries - I'm actually rather flattered to be asked...... (Saves me going walkabout again...... )

I'll try and find some time to set it up tthis evening or tomorrow. Out to hockey in a minute.
Old 13 May 2007, 15:32 (Ref:1912367)   #11
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
what's the deadline for the competion?
Old 13 May 2007, 15:46 (Ref:1912377)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Good question Speed-King. We've debated this before and my search of past threads hasn't helped. If we leave it open until just before final qually, will anyone bother to guess until after the Test Day?
Old 13 May 2007, 17:03 (Ref:1912439)   #13
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Thanks for setting up the thread, Ayse!

I'd concur with the suggestion that not many (if any) will post their predictions until after the Test Day (those who take a more scientific approach will surely want to see how the 'new' Tertre Rouge will affect lap times), but the main thing was to have the thread in place together with the rules of the competition. I like the idea of combining the competition into one thread, good move!
Old 13 May 2007, 19:57 (Ref:1912577)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
In that case, I think we ought to go with that flow? Leave the competition open until, say, midnight on Tuesday night of race week? Of course if anyone does want to post their effort now, they understand that they wouldn't be allowed to go back and ask to change their prediction later......
Old 13 May 2007, 23:09 (Ref:1912685)   #15
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes, Tuesday night would make sense.

Which midnight, though?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 14 May 2007, 07:30 (Ref:1912866)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Darn. I can't get used to the fact that I can no longer go back and amend things. I wonder if a modmight kindly write the closing time into the thread itself plus the 'no second goes' warning?

Thanks
Old 14 May 2007, 09:02 (Ref:1912945)   #17
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Darn. I can't get used to the fact that I can no longer go back and amend things. I wonder if a modmight kindly write the closing time into the thread itself plus the 'no second goes' warning?

Thanks
It's equally strange for us not having you as a mod!

Before I amend your thread, may I suggest that midnight 'local time' (11pm in the UK) would be the most appropriate midnight to use (in answer to Paul's question )? We will also need a mod to volunteer to lock the thread. Mrs Bentley03 will insist I'm tucked up in bed by then (like all good children ) since I shall be leaving the house and heading for Le Mans at around 04:30 on the Wednesday morning.
Old 14 May 2007, 12:43 (Ref:1913127)   #18
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Hard to police local time, though, James, so I'll suggest instead 9pm EDT Tuesday (3am in France, 2am in UK, 8pm in Indianapolis ) and either Tim or I will lock it.

-Bill James
Old 15 May 2007, 01:09 (Ref:1913578)   #19
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Hazard
Audi Sport North America #2
4:11.784
Expecting a Monsoon?
Old 15 May 2007, 06:58 (Ref:1913653)   #20
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
Expecting a Monsoon?
This escaped the 'delete' button because it made me laugh out loud (brilliant, Fogelhund!) so I've moved it from the competition thread.......it's what Ayse would term 'surplusage'.

Perhaps anyone tempted to post 'surplusage' in the competition thread could post their comments here in future? Thanks.......
Old 15 May 2007, 07:20 (Ref:1913661)   #21
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
I wonder if a modmight kindly write the closing time into the thread itself plus the 'no second goes' warning?

Thanks
Housekeeping duties duly completed.
Old 15 May 2007, 07:30 (Ref:1913665)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03

Perhaps anyone tempted to post 'surplusage' in the competition thread could post their comments here in future? Thanks.......
Good idea - its always very tempting - like I was inclined to congratulate Hazard for getting the ball rolling but (obviously) realised I couldn't........
Old 15 May 2007, 18:58 (Ref:1914151)   #23
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ta for that - can I fix my pole time, I copied the wrong thing...

Hazard
3:24.711
Audi Sport North America #1
372 Laps
Pescarolo Judd #16
Team Total Peugeot #7
Old 15 May 2007, 21:42 (Ref:1914255)   #24
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:

Hazard
372 Laps
Pescarolo Judd #16
Team Total Peugeot #7
Done!
Old 16 May 2007, 07:47 (Ref:1914448)   #25
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:

Hazard
372 Laps
Pescarolo Judd #16
Team Total Peugeot #7
Almost 6 secs quicker than last year ..... now that might shock Pug , just a little mate !!!