Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 23 Mar 2012, 18:32 (Ref:3047202)   #1
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Round 2: the Long Beach Grand Prix

I just wanted to kick off discussion for the next round (even if it's a ways off), so here's a bit of news: Alex Job Racing has just received their Lotus Evora GTE. I doubt they'll be able to do much with it, but I guess we'll have to wait and see...

http://www.alms.com/articles/lotus-e...racing-florida
Old 23 Mar 2012, 19:20 (Ref:3047222)   #2
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I know AJR can run a decent show ..... but how might they developing this , I dont know ?

Is there any support or wedge going their way ?

I wish them the best with this striking machine and hopefully add some more flare to the ALMS GT class , which imo is brilliant .
Old 23 Mar 2012, 19:37 (Ref:3047227)   #3
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
I hope it works for them, and great to have them back in the big(er) GT class. Also, I wish I had invested in the Black and Gold paint pigment companies.....
Old 25 Mar 2012, 05:12 (Ref:3047733)   #4
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
36-car provisional entry for Long Beach

3x P1
4x P2
9x PC
12x GT
8x GTC

Effectively the same as in Sebring but with second Dyson, gues starring AMR Vantage and AJR with Evora (minus GTC Porsche). Very impressive entry, makes the ELMS list look kinda lame
Old 25 Mar 2012, 05:21 (Ref:3047735)   #5
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
36-car provisional entry for Long Beach

3x P1
4x P2
9x PC
12x GT
8x GTC

Effectively the same as in Sebring but with second Dyson, gues starring AMR Vantage and AJR with Evora (minus GTC Porsche). Very impressive entry, makes the ELMS list look kinda lame
So it looks like the 2nd Dyson is last year's car for now, what's with the /66 though? Did they upgrade it from last year's /86?

P1 looks like it's gonna be another great year even with 3 cars (again), but sadly Level 5's probably going to be unstoppable in P2 unless the Conquest guys can get their act together.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 21:37 (Ref:3048362)   #6
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lola 1x/6x is the designation for LMP1, they use 1x/8x as the designation for LMP2.
Tim Pappas told me at Sebring Black Swan are upgrading their B11/80 to 2012 spec mid-season to take the fight to Level 5 although the Dempsey guys told me they didn't think he'd be able to as they believe the tub is different? Perhaps Mulsanne Mike can set us straight? I thought the upgrade could be done based on the Radio Le Mans interview of the guys at Huntingdon in the offseason.

Last edited by Canada ALMS fan; 25 Mar 2012 at 21:42.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 02:05 (Ref:3049139)   #7
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm excited to see how Black Swan do. Sebring was a bit of a learning experience, and the shortest race of the season will be quite a different event. I have faith BSR will be competitive. Also hoping Conquest figures out the game, to make the class even better.

Is 36 the maximum number of entries at Long Beach? There is one car (GT - can't mention names or manufacturer as I would be breaking confidence, hoping the program comes together for round 3) I expected to see and it is not there and the Libra Radical is absent too...

Chris
Old 27 Mar 2012, 02:34 (Ref:3049144)   #8
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
FWIW, World Challenge is also capped at 36, I think, so it's a GT/GTS only round for them.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 09:47 (Ref:3049275)   #9
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
and the Libra Radical is absent too...

Chris
We´re getting used to Ian Dawson´s fairy tales, don´t we...
Old 27 Mar 2012, 09:50 (Ref:3049278)   #10
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
We´re getting used to Ian Dawson´s fairy tales, don´t we...
He said that he wanted an entry but the list was already full.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 18:00 (Ref:3049547)   #11
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
Funny thing is, counting the Challenge cars, the ALMS Long Beach Grand Prix has a bigger entry list than the Grand-Am race this weekend
Old 27 Mar 2012, 18:09 (Ref:3049555)   #12
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
Funny thing is, counting the Challenge cars, the ALMS Long Beach Grand Prix has a bigger entry list than the Grand-Am race this weekend
Perhaps so but CTSCC has around 75 cars lined up for Barber, which is quite astounding really
Old 27 Mar 2012, 19:44 (Ref:3049613)   #13
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
It's been like that for pretty much all of last year.

But then, it's of course easier to live with a < 30 car field when you only have two classes.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 18:11 (Ref:3049557)   #14
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
cbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now 35 entries as GTC #30 NGT Motorsport Porsche has been withdrawn.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 20:00 (Ref:3049624)   #15
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbrit View Post
Now 35 entries as GTC #30 NGT Motorsport Porsche has been withdrawn.
Any reason as to why?
Old 27 Mar 2012, 23:07 (Ref:3049748)   #16
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
Any reason as to why?
Sebring crash did more damage than was first thought.
Old 10 Apr 2012, 14:26 (Ref:3056482)   #17
Deleted
Veteran

Just read through LB supplementary regs and noticed that the race length is 2 hours just like last year, despite ALMS website saying 1h40min earlier... oh well I guess we can't complain, looks like we have a new standard time for street circuits

7:15AM practice start on Friday is always fun for teams though... especially as quali is 10 hours later. They should give the honour of being the first track dust cleaner to Indylights or World Challenge
Old 28 Mar 2012, 00:04 (Ref:3049775)   #18
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I look at the entry list and I still say to myself: wouldn't it be better if this were just a GT series and there were magically 2-3X as many GT cars? Utter fantasy, but that's what my heart desires.

The GT class is certainly the most intriguing category; P1s are fastest but it is mighty sad on TV and in person to see 3 P1s tooling around.

Someone earlier stated that this makes the ELMS look bad; but I think that is only the case if you look at it relatively. 35 entries across 5 classes is not very impressive. Otherwise, you have to say that the ELMS and ALMS don't look very good at all, and the WEC better, but not fantastic.
Old 28 Mar 2012, 03:05 (Ref:3049814)   #19
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimo View Post
Someone earlier stated that this makes the ELMS look bad; but I think that is only the case if you look at it relatively. 35 entries across 5 classes is not very impressive. Otherwise, you have to say that the ELMS and ALMS don't look very good at all, and the WEC better, but not fantastic.
Take out the spec jam cars in the ALMS, and things look dreadful.

The rules don't matter, which cars are running don't matter.. it's the captain's steering the ship that need changing.. though I do agree that I'd prefer to see these GT cars at the front of the grid then some privateer proto chassis.
Old 28 Mar 2012, 03:18 (Ref:3049819)   #20
Speed-King
Veteran

Right, but not even the spec cars wanted to sign up for ELMS!
Old 28 Mar 2012, 06:30 (Ref:3049841)   #21
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Take out the spec jam cars in the ALMS, and things look dreadful.
Oh, no doubt. It's very painful to see, especially as the GT racing has been so good recently, and in years past there have been some good - if manufactured (ahem RS Spyder vs R10) - battles at the front.

Jonerz, I agree with what you say, and the ridiculous spindoctory emanating from Atherton makes it all the more worse, but I got thinking: what racing fan - or maybe more broadly - sports fan, likes the people running their sport of choice? Go read what the Europeans say about SRO in GT1/3 land, or Bernard in the F1 subforum, or the ACO, or Tony George, or the France family... I watch a ****load of hockey, and pretty much every single NHL fan hates Gary Bettman more than they hate Satan. David Stern and Bud Selig have both been controversial in their tenures, to say the least. Of the big four here in North America, the only decent commish I can think of is Roger Goodell; across the pond, the FA seem to run the EPL pretty well, but I'm mostly speaking outta my ass about soccer.

This is far from the gamut of sports/motorsports, but it's a decent sample I'd say. I am in no way trying to dull the fact that ALMS management are incompetent, but rather trying to illuminate that it seems to be a common (and hilarious!) theme those that run sport seem to be derided by the fans of said sport; and maybe the derision increases with the hardcoreness of the fan, but that's another thought.
Old 28 Mar 2012, 14:00 (Ref:3050041)   #22
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Oh, no doubt. It's very painful to see, especially as the GT racing has been so good recently, and in years past there have been some good - if manufactured (ahem RS Spyder vs R10) - battles at the front.

Jonerz, I agree with what you say, and the ridiculous spindoctory emanating from Atherton makes it all the more worse, but I got thinking: what racing fan - or maybe more broadly - sports fan, likes the people running their sport of choice? Go read what the Europeans say about SRO in GT1/3 land, or Bernard in the F1 subforum, or the ACO, or Tony George, or the France family... I watch a ****load of hockey, and pretty much every single NHL fan hates Gary Bettman more than they hate Satan. David Stern and Bud Selig have both been controversial in their tenures, to say the least. Of the big four here in North America, the only decent commish I can think of is Roger Goodell; across the pond, the FA seem to run the EPL pretty well, but I'm mostly speaking outta my ass about soccer.

This is far from the gamut of sports/motorsports, but it's a decent sample I'd say. I am in no way trying to dull the fact that ALMS management are incompetent, but rather trying to illuminate that it seems to be a common (and hilarious!) theme those that run sport seem to be derided by the fans of said sport; and maybe the derision increases with the hardcoreness of the fan, but that's another thought.
We were pretty happy with Juergen Barth running things in GT-Masters, but apparently he has (been?!) stepped down over the winter.

Also, the Brits generally seem to be pretty big on the way Alan Gow runs things for BTCC.
Old 29 Mar 2012, 17:31 (Ref:3050531)   #23
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
wouldn't it be better if this were just a GT series and there were magically 2-3X as many GT cars? Utter fantasy, but that's what my heart desires.
Prototypes are a different beast. Even the most ignorant spectator recognizes the difference between a Lola and a pedestrian Porsche. If you like GTs, then watch the Conti Challenge or the SCCA World Challenge, there's plenty of them there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
That's BS. GT-Masters and British GT are top-notch national championships, and I think Blancpain is right up there with LMS.
No all-pro lineups, no top-notch to me.
Old 29 Mar 2012, 17:38 (Ref:3050535)   #24
Speed-King
Veteran

All pro-lineups are the exception not the rule in sportscar history....
Old 28 Mar 2012, 06:00 (Ref:3049835)   #25
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The American Le Mans Series Presented by Tequila Patron - We're pretty confident we don't have the worst management in all motorsport... at least our spec classes are well subscribed.

It would be nice if the ALMS had an advertising sales department and a strong marketing department. It seems when someone gets hired to take those tasks they wind up doing something else. That happens when you haven't any money to spend to cover all your bases.

Chris