Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 25 Aug 2000, 18:36 (Ref:32742)   #1
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

Eddie_harasym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Picking up what Danielsun said,

Would'nt it be great to have a one off race consisting of all the old ST's with Volvo's, Mazda's, Pugs, Toyota's, Fords, Vauxhalls, Renualts, Alfas, to name a few.

I know the forumla Saloon thinge has a few, but there must be loads stored in garages and on display, so why not bring them out for a last time bash.

I'll be sad to see ST go so it would be good to see an era of cars together again on the track.

Someone should try and sort it, or I, will as long as I can have a go in the Alfa 155
Old 25 Aug 2000, 18:42 (Ref:32744)   #2
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd imagine that the Alfa's would have rusted away by now. The BMW's have probably all been destroyed in ram raids. The Volvo's have probably all been put on there roof by caravan owners. And, of course, Derek Warwick, John Cleland, and Yvan Muller have tried there very best to destroy the world's population of Vauxhalls...
Old 25 Aug 2000, 22:25 (Ref:32793)   #3
Bring Back The Cavaliers
Racer

Bring Back The Cavaliers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wreck all the damn Prodrive cars i say!

Ex Leslie Mazda was up for grabs for only 4 grand the other week. Lets all club together for it and shove Muller in it to see if it really was any good.

CLELAND!!!!!!
Old 26 Aug 2000, 10:21 (Ref:32873)   #4
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bring Back The Cavaliers wrote:

>Ex Leslie Mazda was up for grabs for only 4 grand the other week. Lets all club >together for it and shove Muller >in it to see if it really was any good
>
4K US or pounds only???? What year were those Mazdas? The '94s (most recent) ones are in the US?? Last I recall, the owner of the '94 626s was wanting at least $40K US for them??

Eddie_harasym wrote:

>Someone should try and sort it, or I, will as long as I >can have a go in the Alfa 155
>
Do you mean you would volunteer to drive if only the car was a 155 or do you actually own an older ST 155???

Old 26 Aug 2000, 11:19 (Ref:32888)   #5
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
According to the ad it's David Leslie's spare 93 spec Xedos6, race prepared but fitted with a road car engine. Begs the question, why bother? It's not, and will never be, road legal and as a track car the engine would be a joke.
Old 26 Aug 2000, 12:38 (Ref:32903)   #6
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Someone we call a backyard racer will buy it...

The backyard racer buys a race car with the sole objective of having it sit in the back shed. It's purpose in life is then for the owner to brag about it to his friends "look maaaate, i own a real life super tourer...."
Old 26 Aug 2000, 16:46 (Ref:32946)   #7
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I want Matt Neal's car from 1994; you know, the one that's about 10cm high!! Remember Silverstone, Murray, Leslie, Cavalier, Neal, roll...

"Roll, roll, roll again all the way down the straight!!"

Aw, poor Woody's feelings are hurt now...
Old 26 Aug 2000, 23:52 (Ref:32984)   #8
kmchow
Veteran

Redshoes wrote:

>According to the ad it's David Leslie's spare 93 spec >Xedos6, race prepared but fitted with a road car engine. >Begs the question, why bother? It's not, and will never >be, road legal and as a track car the engine would be a >joke.
>
It isn't road legal? It has a road car engine though? I assume it has a stock non-sequential transmission as well? Perhaps you can change the exhaust and quiet down the muffler to pass the gov't regulators? Offhand, I assume there's no gov't rules banning cars with stripped interiors?
Old 27 Aug 2000, 00:27 (Ref:32987)   #9
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Problem is, Mr Chow, it was never registered for the road, so it will possibly be required to pass a Single Vehicle Approval test, among other things.

By the time you've fitted a heater, (!) road-type instrumentation, a proper fuel tank, toughened glass, foglamps, and what have you, there wouldn't be much of the racer left. The heart of the beast has already gone... The engine was probably worth more than the car!

Old 27 Aug 2000, 00:50 (Ref:32989)   #10
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Im not sure about the UK, but down here, the car has to have certain safety features (David P is in this sort of business, ask him) like side intrusion bars etc, and cars imported from Japan don't have these. It depends how race ready it was, if they have pulled the guts out of them and have done them out with aluminium/carbon fibre (was it even in existance back then?) they would have to stick some proper doors on them.

If you wanted a ST car for the road, i say get a mondeo with some mags and low profile tyres, some wings (you can get em really cheap) and do up the exhaust. Also add stickers to suit
Old 27 Aug 2000, 06:07 (Ref:33017)   #11
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've never understood why people buy an old touring car and turn it into a road car. What on Earth is the point, you can't possibly drive it on the road anywhere near the way it is meant to be driven and so you're just going to waste it.
Old 27 Aug 2000, 10:02 (Ref:33021)   #12
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well that is the reason Australian ST cars have to leave the country ever year. Mostly they go over to NZ for a little holiday.
Old 27 Aug 2000, 10:34 (Ref:33026)   #13
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
As Sparky said it would cost more than the car's worth to make it road legal. The rules about what is allowed on the road are much stricker here than in the US say.

It is possible to convert a race car back to a road car - I've heard of a few ex-Rover Tomcat Cup cars being done, but they were much closer to group N (production) regs to start with.

Also remeber that this is a 1993 car i.e. Class 2, before the ST aero-kits were introduced. Outwardly it doesn't look that different from a standard road car, except maybe lowered suspension. Even the paint job is dull, just plain off-white with a big MAZDA and a race number on the side.
Old 28 Aug 2000, 01:43 (Ref:33303)   #14
kmchow
Veteran

Crash Test wrote:

>If you wanted a ST car for the road, i say get a mondeo >with some mags and low profile tyres, some wings (you can >get em really cheap) and do up the exhaust. Also add >stickers to suit
>
That is my ultimate dream and goal, to drive a ST lookalike. Sadly, there aren't that many cars to choose from in NA that have a ST kit for them. Typical Accord, BMW and Nissan cars. Too common. The most exotic ST kit would be for the Camry I think.

If only they had one for the Mazda Xedos, Mondeo, Saturn LS (a larger version of Opel Vectra)
Old 28 Aug 2000, 06:18 (Ref:33318)   #15
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Every week in the motorsport mags down here there are ads for all manner of carbon fibre wings and spoilers at very reasonavbly prices (im certain the super touring ones would be going dirt cheap) and you could simply bolt them on. So what if they aren't an exact match for the car, it would still look pretty cool...
Old 28 Aug 2000, 06:37 (Ref:33322)   #16
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
kmchow, you really are one sad ****!
Old 28 Aug 2000, 18:36 (Ref:33428)   #17
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

Eddie_harasym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The original topic seems to have changed somewhat but,
It seems to me that it all falls back to the same old wings and splitters story.

I for one love the ST look and think that it would be spot on to have a road going ST, but not a four grand Xedos, possibly the ugliest ever tourer, and to make it even worse it's got the bearded oafs name in the back windows.

There seems to be a split line between people that like ST cos its close an competitive racing but ain't all that bothered about the look of the cars, and those that like the racing and the look of the cars like me.

There was a big thinge when the new rules for next year where being launched about the aero bits and big rims, but I'm glad BMP are sticking with wings an spliters, evan if they are smaller.

Yeah alright racing without W/S will still be good ala Proton cup thinge and NSC to some extent, but the cars are just not that good lookin.

I agree that W/S don't make for close racing, especially the DTM sized things, but next years SP+ things should't be a hinderance at all. Hey this years W/S arn't a bother to someone like Menu anyway.