Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 6 May 2012, 16:39 (Ref:3070270)   #1
deimh
Rookie

South Africa
London
deimh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kime, Robert (Bob)

I have been compiling data on Robert Kime as he drove the Titan Mk.6 that I now currently own when it was owned / raced by Fred Opert Racing in 1970/1.

The below information is based on written confirmations from Fred Opert of Fred Opert Racing in the USA, newspaper articles, previous posts on 10-Tenths (e.g. the Brabham BT40 Chassis thread, post #14 on 2 April 2005) and written confirmations from James Richard Koestler who bought my Titan Mk.6 from Fred Opert when it became surplus to Fred Opert Racing Team's requirements in September 1972 (when Robert Kime left the team) and through this became associated with Richard Kime.

Findings to date:
  • Robert Kime was a successful driver in Formula Ford in the USA, where he raced in 1971 and 1972 for Fred Opert Racing as one of three works drivers (each with their own works Titan Mk.6) in SCCA Regional and National races.
  • Fred Opert has confirmed that Robert Kime won a number of races in the Fred Opert Racing Titan Mk.6, but generally he was a mid-pack runner. Towards the end of 1972, Richard Kime decided he wanted to graduate up to F3 , but Fred Opert Racing was unwilling to run a team car for him. Hence Robert Kime bought a Brabham F3, which according to Fred Opert's recollections was white with a blue stripe.
  • Robert Kime's best result in F3 seems to have been 1974 SCCA National Finals where he placed second to Anspach (no first name given) and ahead of 3rd placed Harry Reynolds.
  • According to James Richard Koestler, he met Robert Kime at the Tri-Regional at Pocono (according to the SCCA Log Books this would have been October 1972) where Robert Kime talked about his wins in the ex-Fred Opert Racing Titan Mk.6 that James Richard Koestler had purchased and was running that day
  • It seemed that Robert Kime remained firm friends with Fred Opert, and Fred recalls Robert Kime lending his BT40 to Bertil Roos for one or more races around 1973/4 (at this time Bertil Roos was running Fred Opert's driving school and racing under the Fred Opert Racing banner).
  • I believe that I have managed to determine that Robert Kime retired to Florida, but the trail has gone cold after what would seem to be a couple of divorces...
It would be great if anyone could throw anymore light on the career of Robert Kime and/or help me in tracking him down.
Old 6 May 2012, 22:01 (Ref:3070404)   #2
deimh
Rookie

South Africa
London
deimh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deimh View Post
I have been compiling data on Robert Kime as he drove the Titan Mk.6 that I now currently own when it was owned / raced by Fred Opert Racing in 1970/1.

Sorry for the typo - the date should have read 1971/2
Old 17 May 2012, 12:22 (Ref:3075686)   #3
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Might have better luck in the Motorsport History Forum where I'm moving it to.
Old 8 Oct 2014, 12:16 (Ref:3462160)   #4
skime
Rookie

skime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bob Kime Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by deimh View Post

The below information is based on written confirmations from Fred Opert of Fred Opert Racing in the USA, newspaper articles, previous posts on 10-Tenths (e.g. the Brabham BT40 Chassis thread, post #14 on 2 April 2005) and written confirmations from James Richard Koestler who bought my Titan Mk.6 from Fred Opert when it became surplus to Fred Opert Racing Team's requirements in September 1972 (when Robert Kime left the team) and through this became associated with Richard Kime.

Findings to date:
  • Robert Kime was a successful driver in Formula Ford in the USA, where he raced in 1971 and 1972 for Fred Opert Racing as one of three works drivers (each with their own works Titan Mk.6) in SCCA Regional and National races.
  • Fred Opert has confirmed that Robert Kime won a number of races in the Fred Opert Racing Titan Mk.6, but generally he was a mid-pack runner. Towards the end of 1972, Richard Kime decided he wanted to graduate up to F3 , but Fred Opert Racing was unwilling to run a team car for him. Hence Robert Kime bought a Brabham F3, which according to Fred Opert's recollections was white with a blue stripe.
  • Robert Kime's best result in F3 seems to have been 1974 SCCA National Finals where he placed second to Anspach (no first name given) and ahead of 3rd placed Harry Reynolds.
  • According to James Richard Koestler, he met Robert Kime at the Tri-Regional at Pocono (according to the SCCA Log Books this would have been October 1972) where Robert Kime talked about his wins in the ex-Fred Opert Racing Titan Mk.6 that James Richard Koestler had purchased and was running that day
  • It seemed that Robert Kime remained firm friends with Fred Opert, and Fred recalls Robert Kime lending his BT40 to Bertil Roos for one or more races around 1973/4 (at this time Bertil Roos was running Fred Opert's driving school and racing under the Fred Opert Racing banner).
  • I believe that I have managed to determine that Robert Kime retired to Florida, but the trail has gone cold after what would seem to be a couple of divorces...
It would be great if anyone could throw anymore light on the career of Robert Kime and/or help me in tracking him down.
I am the nephew of Bob Kime and I dug up some old pictures of one of his race cars. Please see the attached pics...is this the car you are posting about?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bob Kime racing.pdf (369.8 KB, 19 views)
Old 13 Oct 2014, 16:04 (Ref:3464552)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome Skime
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!