Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Oct 2016, 11:06 (Ref:3683585)   #651
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
It's amazing how people continue to take the wrong line on Andretti and Bourdais. Both were very very good but who's circumstances just didn't work out well. Andretti through some of his own making and Bourdais through a fair bit of unreliability. Plus both were paired with 2 of the best drivers ever.
Andretti was well past it by the time he tried F1, and commuting didn't help him.

it is quite clear that the best of Indy/Champcar doesn't really stand up to the best of F1. Jacques Villeneuve is probably the only one who really stands out.

Bourdais and Montoya were both sensational and unbeatable in Indycar, but did not shine in F1 really. Bourdais was in am average car but didn't really do anything out of the ordinary. Montoya had the speed, and with two thirds in the WDC is probably the best there has been, but he also had more of a Euro racing background than many of the classic CART/Champcar drivers.
Old 28 Oct 2016, 17:31 (Ref:3683660)   #652
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Andretti was well past it by the time he tried F1, and commuting didn't help him.

it is quite clear that the best of Indy/Champcar doesn't really stand up to the best of F1. Jacques Villeneuve is probably the only one who really stands out.

Bourdais and Montoya were both sensational and unbeatable in Indycar, but did not shine in F1 really. Bourdais was in am average car but didn't really do anything out of the ordinary. Montoya had the speed, and with two thirds in the WDC is probably the best there has been, but he also had more of a Euro racing background than many of the classic CART/Champcar drivers.
Not sure what you base your thinking on mixer What you saw on tv or did you have a better appreciation of things than other people?

Andretti was not past it at all. He just didn't prepare properly. His qualy early in the season was decent enough and he knew he wasn't going to touch Senna and probably tried to hard leading to all sorts of mishaps. 1993 was not a true picture of what he was capable of.

I've always maintained that he would have had a better time had he stuck around for '94 except he would have had a Pug engine and not a user friendly Cosworth in a McLaren!

Montoya is one of the most talented drivers of the last 20 years, certainly one of the best racers we've ever seen! He was just not a 'yes' man and probably relied a bit much on raw skill than all the application stuff a modern driver must put up with.
However he came very close in 2003 and was an accepted frontrunner and 'name' driver for 5 seasons. Some of his drives were real top class...

Bourdais would have fared better had he got into F1 earlier. He was easily on par with a Webber or a Rosberg ability wise.
Old 28 Oct 2016, 18:50 (Ref:3683694)   #653
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It's amazing how people continue to take the wrong line on Andretti and Bourdais. Both were very very good but who's circumstances just didn't work out well. Andretti through some of his own making and Bourdais through a fair bit of unreliability. Plus both were paired with 2 of the best drivers ever.
I didn't know you thought so highly of Seb Buemi.
Quote:
Montoya is one of the most talented drivers of the last 20 years, certainly one of the best racers we've ever seen! He was just not a 'yes' man and probably relied a bit much on raw skill than all the application stuff a modern driver must put up with.
However he came very close in 2003 and was an accepted frontrunner and 'name' driver for 5 seasons. Some of his drives were real top class...
He was fairly evenly matched with Ralf and was outclassed by Kimi.

For me, Montoya is the most frequently overrated driver in modern F1.
Quote:
Bourdais would have fared better had he got into F1 earlier. He was easily on par with a Webber or a Rosberg ability wise.
I'm highly skeptical of that claim. I don't agree with it at all.
Old 29 Oct 2016, 12:37 (Ref:3683832)   #654
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As next season might be a Red Bull one - how about one of the Mercedes drivers jumping ship for the 2018 season? That's just speculation - but I'd thought I'd throw that out there.

Got to say also, that I can't see Jenson coming back into F1. Staying away can sometimes blunt your racing skills - look at what happened to Jacques. I hope he does come back - but if it's in inferior machinery again - then I think that he and Alonso should both retire. They deserve better.
Old 29 Oct 2016, 15:57 (Ref:3683864)   #655
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedcat View Post
As next season might be a Red Bull one - how about one of the Mercedes drivers jumping ship for the 2018 season? That's just speculation - but I'd thought I'd throw that out there.

Got to say also, that I can't see Jenson coming back into F1. Staying away can sometimes blunt your racing skills - look at what happened to Jacques. I hope he does come back - but if it's in inferior machinery again - then I think that he and Alonso should both retire. They deserve better.
can't see any competitive team offering a seat to Jensen, i think his time in f1 is now over, Alonso may be in the same position to be honest
Old 1 Nov 2016, 20:23 (Ref:3684619)   #656
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Magnussen a possible to replace Gutierrez at Haas?
Who's got the bigger and chequebook though?

It's becoming clearer that Guti may have been part of the Ferrari supply deal for this season and now that he has proven fairly comprehensively that he ain't the star in the making he was once thought to be in GP3 etc Haas are going to make their own choice.

Could he end up back at Sauber? I'd rather see Palmer get another year somewhere than him!
Old 1 Nov 2016, 22:43 (Ref:3684640)   #657
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I'd rather see Palmer get another year somewhere than him!
Yep!
In a sport where people complain that young drivers aren't given long enough to prove themselves, the three seasons Gutierrez has had is definitely long enough!
Old 2 Nov 2016, 16:48 (Ref:3684801)   #658
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
It's becoming clearer that Guti may have been part of the Ferrari supply deal for this season and now that he has proven fairly comprehensively that he ain't the star in the making he was once thought to be in GP3 etc Haas are going to make their own choice.
Haas making their own choice or Ferrari have seen enough and decided 'no thanks' so no point for Haas to keep him anyway? (and therefore no Sauber driver either)
Old 2 Nov 2016, 17:02 (Ref:3684803)   #659
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Palmer did alright in Mexico, staying out pretty much all race almost paid off
Old 2 Nov 2016, 17:45 (Ref:3684808)   #660
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Ferrari must be looking for a post-Räikkönen driver by now, and Grosjean is looking a much better bet than Gutierrez.
Old 3 Nov 2016, 11:16 (Ref:3684987)   #661
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

I don't think Ferrari will hire Grosjean either. Still a bit of a loose cannon for their liking.

I could see Vettel going and Rosberg moving the other way along with AN Other.
Old 3 Nov 2016, 11:23 (Ref:3684991)   #662
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I don't think Ferrari will hire Grosjean either. Still a bit of a loose cannon for their liking.
i agree - grosjean is too ferrari for ferrari
Old 3 Nov 2016, 11:33 (Ref:3684994)   #663
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Depending on how 2017 turns out: one of the Red Bull guys: Ricciardo or Sainz?

If Sainz has a good 2017 and there is (still) no opening at Red Bull Racing, I reckon other teams will be interested.
Old 3 Nov 2016, 11:48 (Ref:3684999)   #664
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:

I could see Vettel going and Rosberg moving the other way along with AN Other.
Whilst I agree that Ferrari are unlikely to sign Grosjean I can't see why they'd want Rosberg either? He's really just a bit 'meh' isn't he? Ferrari need a big name/personality and someone that can lead a team - is Rosberg that man? Not really.
Old 3 Nov 2016, 14:56 (Ref:3685037)   #665
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Ricciardo is signed at Red Bull through to the end of 2018, and I can't see him jumping ship before that unless Ferrari make huge strides forward (or the team starts to favour Verstappen). I suspect the current Red Bull pairing could last a while.
Old 3 Nov 2016, 22:36 (Ref:3685140)   #666
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i agree - grosjean is too ferrari for ferrari
Oh but it would be glorious. Grosjean and Vettel, now there's a Ferrari team I could get behind. Kind of 80's deja vu
Old 6 Nov 2016, 16:13 (Ref:3685971)   #667
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Whilst I agree that Ferrari are unlikely to sign Grosjean I can't see why they'd want Rosberg either? He's really just a bit 'meh' isn't he? Ferrari need a big name/personality and someone that can lead a team - is Rosberg that man? Not really.
I think he'll be much further up Team Principal's radar at the end of this season. He's had his best year in F1 to date although he is still alarmingly reticent in the wet it must be said.

He makes a good anchor man like Berger or Patrese used to alongside their respective 'ace'teammates.
Old 6 Nov 2016, 16:24 (Ref:3685979)   #668
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Rosberg is like them is not a number 1 or 2, more a 1.5. And he's proved it this year by stepping up to the title challenge, although it's not over yet
Old 8 Nov 2016, 08:49 (Ref:3686446)   #669
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ocon looks to be at the top of Force India's list and there are ongoing contract talks.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/126994
Old 8 Nov 2016, 17:12 (Ref:3686553)   #670
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
So, Ocon to Force India, Magnussen to stay at Renault and Palmer to Manor?
Old 9 Nov 2016, 11:36 (Ref:3686727)   #671
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Magnussen to Haas. Didn't see that coming (but I wasn't looking, so that's fair enough).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/37920386
Old 9 Nov 2016, 12:47 (Ref:3686736)   #672
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
I think that could be a good career move for KM.
Old 9 Nov 2016, 13:13 (Ref:3686741)   #673
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So it looks like:

Mercedes: Rosberg – Hamilton
Red Bull: Ricciardo – Verstappen
Ferrari: Vettel – Räikkönen
Force India: Pérez – Ocon
Williams: Bottas – Stroll
McLaren: Alonso – Vandoorne
Toro Rosso: Sainz – Kvyat
Haas: Grosjean – Magnussen
Renault: Hülkenberg – Palmer
Manor: Wehrlein – King
Sauber: Ericsson – Nasr
Old 9 Nov 2016, 15:11 (Ref:3686768)   #674
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
If Wehrlein does stay at Manor and Ocon goes to Force India, the former would be justified in feeling a bit snubbed by his Mercedes paymasters.
Old 9 Nov 2016, 15:22 (Ref:3686769)   #675
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
If Wehrlein does stay at Manor and Ocon goes to Force India, the former would be justified in feeling a bit snubbed by his Mercedes paymasters.
Why? I think Force India decides who drives for them, not Mercedes.