Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History > The Driver Files

Old 26 Mar 2011, 16:33 (Ref:2853589)   #26
Broadclystboy
Rookie

Broadclystboy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBroadclystboy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A picture from my archives. This would have been in the Brands paddock in the mid-1970s, probably a Race of Champions (I'll need to get my programmes out of the loft). The lady in the background has suitable Brands footwear.
Attached Thumbnails
img341.jpg  
Old 5 Nov 2011, 21:10 (Ref:2982053)   #27
Merrythought
Rookie

Merrythought should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Mc Bride View Post
Hello All
I,ve just been pointed at this site by a friend. Damien is my uncle and I can confirm that he is alive and well and living in London, England. He is still very fit and plays a lot of squash. He is basically retired and married a few years ago.
Here goes with some anecdotal stuff, not too boring I hope.
As a child (12 yrs) I vividly remember going to many of these races and his F1 break in a Brabham BT42, Sweden I think where an engine mounting broke but he finished anyway. Another memory is a non championship race at Silverstone in the same Brabham (number 40 and no sponsorship!) where the throttle stuck (fire extinguisher had been set off earlier) and he used the kill switch on and off to drive the car for a few laps before retirement... Things were different then.
He was competitive in the 1976 Shellsport F5000 series in a March where the main opposition was David Purley in a Lec Chevron I think. A really nice guy, I remember. Davina Galica (remember her? I certainly do) was there too in a Surtees no 13.
Money or sponsorship were never things he had although I understand that Mr Ecclestone may have helped him in his brief appearance in F1....
Word has it thatTony Brown actually once sold the Lola (Chevron?)Damien drove in the f5000 series as he was driving in the race. What a way to showcase that the car was competitive!
I suspect he has many stories about those times but I would love to see any photos you guys may have of his career.
I can send them on and see if he has anything to add if that is of interest.
Best regards
Adrian Mc Bride
ps what a superb source of information these forums are, its been a fascinating trawl. Well done to all.
pps I remember his chief mechanic was Keith Tilbrook (name on side of 60 car above) who was sadly involved in a bad car accident a few years back.
ppps I think Damien is still in touch with Val Musetti
ppps enough!
As I recall Jim Kelly drove Damien's Trojan- was he a friend?
Old 30 Dec 2011, 20:59 (Ref:3005682)   #28
SQUAREWHEELS DUBLIN
Rookie

SQUAREWHEELS DUBLIN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tony 'Monkey' Brown ??????

Have read with interest and many memories of my old friend and neighbor
Tony 'Monkey Brown from the Annamoe area of Cabra, Dublin 7..
Does anybody have any current info.on this wonderfully entertaining character !
I would be delighted to hear he is still in the land of the living ....BUT he was always 100 m.p.h. in the fast lane !!!!!!!
He always traveled in Top company in the best of transport !
Any news will be gratefully received.