Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 30 Mar 2003, 21:44 (Ref:553187)   #1
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rockingham 12th/13th April

Anyone going from the Birmingham area that fancies splitting the driving/petrol???
Just need room for one marshal.
Old 31 Mar 2003, 15:12 (Ref:553865)   #2
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Rockingham 12th/13th April

Quote:
Originally posted by crazystu
Anyone going from the Birmingham area that fancies splitting the driving/petrol???
Just need room for one marshal.
Sorry can't help!! Off to Anglesey for the weekend and we may see Observer Minor.

Did Harry attract as much attention, by the cars, at Donnington as he did at Mallory?
Old 1 Apr 2003, 07:55 (Ref:554601)   #3
Tony Harman
Veteran

Tony Harman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
crazystu - as you've probably seen we've got a Rockingham classic thread here > http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...hreadid=35488, see if anyone on there has space ?
Does that mean Harry's coming too ? - Is that something I need to worry about...

As Marshals what do you think of the posts at Rockingham ? - from a dirvers perspective some of the flagging positions seem in the wrong places for the drivers to see but in the right place for the Marshals to see the track, e.g. RH hairpin, flag post on outside left just as driver is looking at apex on right.
Old 1 Apr 2003, 08:06 (Ref:554610)   #4
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tony said

Quote:
As Marshals what do you think of the posts at Rockingham ? - from a dirvers perspective some of the flagging positions seem in the wrong places for the drivers to see but in the right place for the Marshals to see the track, e.g. RH hairpin, flag post on outside left just as driver is looking at apex on right.
This is just the sort of information which organisers and circuit owners would like to have. The driver sightline part of flag post siting is obviously crucial and while people try to take it into account real life experience is going to be welcome. (Other factors include post-to-post visibility, aiming for a minimum number of posts and, I suspect, at Rockingham, trying to site posts so that all of the various circuit combinations can be accomodated.)

Regards

Jim
Old 2 Apr 2003, 08:21 (Ref:555607)   #5
Tony Harman
Veteran

Tony Harman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have discussed this with Cof C's before which is why I understand the need for sight lines, I guess in the ideal world there would effectively be two sets of posts, one for observing the track and one for signalling, of course signalling to drivers could, to a certain extent, be handled by lights, might be a bit difficult to have a black flag light though...
My other worry at Rockingham is that I went off last year on the infield after the LH 180 and before the RH 180 on the inside, it was only a spin out, no injury, but there was no way a Marshal could get to me without crossing the circuit, also if I had got out of the car and stood behind the armco I would have been standing in an 18" gap with track both sides, didn't fancy the safety aspect of that too much (I like my legs where they are) so I opted to limp across to the other side of the circuit, car not me !
Old 2 Apr 2003, 09:00 (Ref:555638)   #6
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tony,
The flag postyou described at Rockingham is not as bad as it seems. As we exit the previous fast left on the extreme RH side of the track we have to drive diagonally across the road to get on line for the hairpin. While we are doing that we are pointing straight at that post. The only problem would come if someone took a dive down the RH side of a car going into the hairpin, at that point the post would be obscured by the car being passed.
This applies to most circuits at some time, and probably can't be avoided. It accounts for some of the cases where we find ourselves trying to explain to the CofC why we overtook under a stationary yellow when we didn't even know we had ubntil we saw the green!!
Old 2 Apr 2003, 19:55 (Ref:556382)   #7
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Rockingham 12th/13th April

Quote:
Originally posted by KayBee

Did Harry attract as much attention, by the cars, at Donnington as he did at Mallory?
Unfortunately Harry was feeling under the weather and was unable to attend. He did notice though that there were not too many incidents, apart from Woolley going A**E-over T*T on his way to his only incident!!

But rest assured, he is ok now and will return for the Members days at Loton Park this weekend.