Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Jun 2001, 11:54 (Ref:99713)   #1
RALFANATOR
Racer

RALFANATOR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haven't heard yet

Still waitng for a motor deal to be released for MINARDI anyone heard?
Old 1 Jun 2001, 12:05 (Ref:99716)   #2
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Have we heard, OMG, of course we've heard. Where have you been? Its been the mammouth story of the day.

Who'd of thought Paul could pull off a deal like that!!!! WOW!!!!

Despite the massive implications of this new deal, everyone at ten-tenths has decided not to talk about it.
Old 1 Jun 2001, 12:20 (Ref:99731)   #3
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't say the F word. The F word.

Ferrari.....

It just slipped out. Honestlty
Old 1 Jun 2001, 14:02 (Ref:99758)   #4
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Is that right...WOW Paul Stoddard made a good choice all things been considered..
Old 1 Jun 2001, 14:37 (Ref:99778)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The F word.

No... Ford !!
Old 1 Jun 2001, 14:45 (Ref:99784)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or perhaps it will be announced at "Minardi Day" celebrations in August.
Old 1 Jun 2001, 15:10 (Ref:99791)   #7
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I still think it will be Renault..
Old 1 Jun 2001, 16:48 (Ref:99830)   #8
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its going to be a Lada, and the design is based upon a existing tractor engine-cheap, effective, and a great stump puller.
Old 1 Jun 2001, 16:58 (Ref:99837)   #9
Orange
Racer

Orange should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually, our old friend Dancing Machine has let me know, that his inside sources at Minardi tell him that the deal will involve 2 stroke Trabant motors... they would like to do better, but its the best thety were able to get.

All seriousness aside, the deal will be announced on the Weekend of the Canadian Grand Prix
Old 1 Jun 2001, 16:59 (Ref:99838)   #10
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jersound
I still think it will be Renault..
Maybe not Mr Sound...

From F1 News:

Quote:
The French marque plans to introduce several technical updates for its home Grand Prix at Magny-Cours on July 1, which are expected to give the engine an extra 40bhp.

There is also no chance, according to Faure, of Renault supplying a second team alongside Benetton or rebadging the current units as Nissan engines, even though the Japanese marque is owned by Renault.

"Although we are owners of Nissan," said Faure, "please do not clash the brands. Nissan are concentrating their policy on the United States."
I still think it's going to be Mercedes, maybe as 'Daimler' or 'Chrysler', or maybe even as 'Ilmor'. How about the fact that if Mercedes were to supply Minardi, they would be stealing some diehard Italian fans from the 'other' Italian team...?
Old 1 Jun 2001, 21:53 (Ref:99990)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
Its going to be a Lada, and the design is based upon a existing tractor engine-cheap, effective, and a great stump puller.
Wow ! Here's a champion.

Ferrari, McLaren and Williams will bite the dust...
Old 1 Jun 2001, 22:05 (Ref:99993)   #12
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas

Mr Sparky!

I think you are better informed than I am on this issue..Have you thought it would be Mercedes for a while? If this happens and and Minardi do get Ilmor power, would that car be competitive or what!
Old 1 Jun 2001, 22:28 (Ref:100004)   #13
Sparky
Veteran

Not really more informed at all, Jersound.

I've just looked at other manufacturers and come to the conclusion that no other manufacturer will be as motivated as Mercedes. I don't believe BMW will, as they are on the way up themselves. This applies equally to Jaguar. Toyota will want to be seen to do everything in-house; why go to the trouble of equipping a complete team, and then have a competitor do your donkey work... Imagine if Minardi ran well and Toyota bombed on their debut? It won't be allowed to happen.
Renault/Benetton are struggling with a long term plan. I realise that the development time could be halved, but why go that route? They're improving slowly (even if marginally) and I think they will want all the thunder for themselves. And they will win... eventually.
Basically I think the only possibility is an established race winning powerplant. What would you want in your car?
I've long believed Mercedes would enjoy the same level of respect that Ferrari would if they were to supply another team, and who better than Minardi?
If they are successful for example, it's all down to the shining three-pointed star engine propelling them there. If not, then they're 'just Minardi' and everyone knows they have no budget and their designer's recently jumped ship (there's a comparison there somewhere!) - what else did anyone expect to happen. It's a 'win-win' situation...

With Ferrari engines already powering over a quarter of the grid, Mercedes could do with the Kudos of 'assisting' the smaller teams as Ferrari are seen to do.

And yes, it would be pretty competitive I think!
Old 1 Jun 2001, 22:34 (Ref:100009)   #14
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F F F F ????

Yes it does start with F

Flymo have just announced that they are entering F1. Late Friday night just before the weekend gardening season starts. They are pleased to be associated with Minardi F1 as they believe people will watch F1 races and then be able to go out and mow the lawn with the same machinery that they have just seen winning on TV.

Charlie Dimmock has been touted as the pit babe, ensuring a sound male middle aged supporters club.

The revolutionary hover engine should ensure that they are a cut above the rest, however other teams have expressed concern about the lenth of power cable required and the amount of grass clippings left on the racing line.

Press release is expected shortly.

SL
Old 1 Jun 2001, 22:43 (Ref:100012)   #15
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Minardi running a Ford engine....

I'd Like to see that!
Old 1 Jun 2001, 22:53 (Ref:100015)   #16
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas

I like that rational Sparky..Toyota power would be way to risky for Minardi at this point.And as you say Renault will wish to concentrate on engine development for their own team effort..It would make way more sense that Minardi try to land Ilmor/Mercedes..I would to see them NOT last on the grid...Allonso is a very promising driver...Smart man Paul Stoddard Don't you think?
Old 1 Jun 2001, 23:07 (Ref:100018)   #17
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jersound, Stoddart is AUSTRALIAN.

Of course he's a smart guy!!
Old 1 Jun 2001, 23:27 (Ref:100027)   #18
Sparky
Veteran

Oh...hang on!

...But!

The only problem with my master plan is that Minardi currently share Mugello and Fiorino with Ferrari. I can't see the scarlet ones being too happy with a Mercedes engine running on their soil. It could work the other way of course; The Scuderia might not be able to resist a leisurely peek at the three pointed star! In that case, I suspect Ilmor/Mercedes would 'insist' that their power units were not allowed within a hundred miles of either Ferrari test venue, don't you?

It could get complicated, but it certainly isn't impossible...
Old 2 Jun 2001, 02:59 (Ref:100051)   #19
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No one has mentioned Asiatech. I reckon it's gonna be the Minardi AMT.
Old 2 Jun 2001, 03:17 (Ref:100053)   #20
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
I doubt that Mac...They are suffering with a weak engine now..Out of the frying pan into the fire with AMT
Old 2 Jun 2001, 09:53 (Ref:100104)   #21
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AMT say they are going to buy a team and become a chassis and engine manufacturer

Last edited by badoer fan; 2 Jun 2001 at 09:54.
Old 2 Jun 2001, 10:36 (Ref:100119)   #22
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AlanJones
Minardi running a Ford engine....

I'd Like to see that!
Well Alan: they are running a Ford engine right now!

If there is any factory deal to be done, Minardi would surely be last in line for it, Arrows, Prost and Sauber look far more likely canidates, with Arrows having the advantage(TWR works for Volvo(Ford),Renault/Nissan, and several other manufacturers)
Old 2 Jun 2001, 11:48 (Ref:100138)   #23
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally posted by badoer fan
AMT say they are going to buy a team and become a chassis and engine manufacturer
Buy who ? Minardi or Arrows ????
Old 3 Jun 2001, 16:34 (Ref:100604)   #24
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know, it just said a team, I don't think there's an intended target.
Old 3 Jun 2001, 16:59 (Ref:100630)   #25
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

My guess would be Arrows.

Things are getting hard the underdogs.