Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 7 Jan 2010, 05:19 (Ref:2609243)   #1
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
DanicaFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IndyCar Adding A Reverse Gear

Starting next season, the IndyCar Series will add a reverse gear on the cars for the road courses only. The gear will be supplied by Partner Xtrac. This gear kit will not be applied to the oval events. The gear will work with the paddle shift system as well so there are no extra levers or shifters involved.

I think this is a great idea. It will save some time for drivers if they spin on a corner. They wont lose as much time plus the safety teams may not have to come out as much which will then cut down the yellow flags. Not to mention, it will make it easy for the teams by them adding this kit in their road course gearboxes.
Old 7 Jan 2010, 10:34 (Ref:2609339)   #2
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I thought it was this year. Adding anti stall would be just as helpful if not more so.
Old 7 Jan 2010, 11:37 (Ref:2609381)   #3
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Formula One Times: Micheal Schumacher Returns to F1!

Rally Weekly: Kimi Raikkonen switches to WRC! Ken Block makes debut!

Sportcar News: Nigel Mansell forms Le Mans team!

IndyCar.com: We now have a reverse gear.
Old 7 Jan 2010, 11:38 (Ref:2609383)   #4
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't go too crazy...sheesh, anti-stall - that's a little out there for this lot isn't it?

Yeah, Downforce, you can't help but to think they are missing the point...

Last edited by cptkablamo; 7 Jan 2010 at 11:44.
Old 7 Jan 2010, 12:16 (Ref:2609403)   #5
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighton Irwin View Post
I thought it was this year. Adding anti stall would be just as helpful if not more so.
It is this year, the next season which is 2010..

And downforce, Im lost on your post...
Old 7 Jan 2010, 12:21 (Ref:2609407)   #6
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was only making a wee joke, no offence intended to anyone. Other forms of motorsport have had some great news recently whereas IndyCar hasn't had an awful lot to shout about, title sponsor aside.
Old 7 Jan 2010, 13:30 (Ref:2609454)   #7
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
will the teams get to test the new road course gearbox out during the off-seasson
Old 7 Jan 2010, 14:43 (Ref:2609509)   #8
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, this comes as no big surprise: comparatively speaking, IndyCar has been going backwards for years.
Old 7 Jan 2010, 15:40 (Ref:2609529)   #9
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce View Post

That's exactly what I was thinking. Fans will be rapt with excitement. They can go backwards now.
Old 7 Jan 2010, 17:14 (Ref:2609575)   #10
tony griffiths
Racer

United Kingdom
california
tony griffiths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IRL ??? Has been going backwards for years ..........
Old 7 Jan 2010, 17:17 (Ref:2609579)   #11
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DanicaFan is now the OFFICIAL ''King of non-news!''

As John Hindhaugh would say.. Move on.
Old 7 Jan 2010, 17:50 (Ref:2609593)   #12
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The issue should be about reverse gear and fully onboard starters. Getting back underway is not as important as being able to get the hell out of it.

I think Nelson and Will would agree. Added weight of an onboard electric starter and auxilliary battery are worth it to keep your chances, and in some cases your racecar, intact.

All the lost track position from stalls after pit stops is a good enough motivation, road course or oval.
Old 7 Jan 2010, 19:48 (Ref:2609669)   #13
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony griffiths View Post
IRL ??? Has been going backwards for years ..........
So true
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 8 Jan 2010, 17:39 (Ref:2610098)   #14
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanicaFan View Post
It will save some time for drivers if they spin on a corner.
If I'm not mistaken, it's forbidden to engage reverse in most professional championships. It's used in F1 to enter the garage and nothing else. Perhaps it could be allowed only during caution periods and without racing cars around.
Old 9 Jan 2010, 16:25 (Ref:2610546)   #15
Taprobane
Racer

England
Berkshire
Taprobane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd imagine you are right, those things don't exactly have great rear visibility...
Old 9 Jan 2010, 18:01 (Ref:2610595)   #16
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
If I'm not mistaken, it's forbidden to engage reverse in most professional championships. It's used in F1 to enter the garage and nothing else. Perhaps it could be allowed only during caution periods and without racing cars around.
It's legal in sportscars and a must for street courses. I think all forms of motorsport should have a reverse gear and on board starter. Better for the racing, safer for the marshalls, everyone wins. Forcing a driver to drop out of a race because he stalled the car is retarded.
Old 9 Jan 2010, 18:48 (Ref:2610627)   #17
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce View Post

Quote:
And downforce, Im lost on your post...
It would be obvious if you'd had the privilege of watching CART. It just demonstrates how far the sport has fallen.
Quote:
The CART rule book required a reverse gear on the car which the driver could operate from inside the cockpit. No exceptions for ovals. I remember it coming in very handy in a big mess at the back chicane at the Vancouver CART race one year. I forget if it was Paul Tracy or Michael Andretti, but one of them had a lot of difficulty getting it to engage (lots of grinding noises but it wouldn't go in) and lost a bunch of time on their competitors in getting out of the mess.
Old 9 Jan 2010, 18:52 (Ref:2610629)   #18
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatanut View Post
It would be obvious if you'd had the privilege of watching CART. It just demonstrates how far the sport has fallen.
Couldn't agree more. Watching a CART race was a real treat for me at my then-young age.
Old 9 Jan 2010, 18:58 (Ref:2610633)   #19
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, it's forbidden to engage reverse in most professional championships.
I wouldn't go as far to say that it's forbidden, but it is definitely frowned upon unless it's used to move the car from a dangerous position.

Quote:
It's used in F1 to enter the garage and nothing else.
Formula One Sporting Regulation 30.8: At no time may a car be reversed in the Pit Lane under its own power.
Old 10 Jan 2010, 00:22 (Ref:2610763)   #20
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatanut View Post

I know CART had a reverse gear, Im not a newbie on open wheel my friend. But nickyf1's post or whatever his name is had nothing to do with CART, it was..

Formula 1, Rally, and Sportscar news..

So, what is your point ?
Old 10 Jan 2010, 00:45 (Ref:2610769)   #21
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I know CART had a reverse gear, Im not a newbie on open wheel my friend. But nickyf1's post or whatever his name is had nothing to do with CART, it was..

Formula 1, Rally, and Sportscar news..

So, what is your point ?
You used to attend CART races and you find the current iteration of the sport worthy of attention for anything other than derision?

Down F0rce's point was that among "professional" racing series, only American Indycars is so devoid of news that anyone would care about that the information they are adding a reverse gear for road courses would qualify as news.

Indycar news used to include stuff like 'Reigning World Driving Champion going to Indycars.' Or 'Reigning Indycar champion now runner-up to World Driving Champion.'

Now it's definitely a different era.
Old 10 Jan 2010, 16:57 (Ref:2611064)   #22
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
Well, I like the fact they are bringing it back, so its news to me. It will be useful.
Old 10 Jan 2010, 18:35 (Ref:2611140)   #23
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
Formula One Sporting Regulation 30.8: At no time may a car be reversed in the Pit Lane under its own power.
But they engage it to avoid amaging the transmission, or do they use the clutch instead?
Old 10 Jan 2010, 18:44 (Ref:2611148)   #24
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
But they engage it to avoid amaging the transmission, or do they use the clutch instead?
As far as I know, they don't ever engage reverse gear while in the Pit Lane. Instead, they are just pushed backwards into the garage while in neutral.
Old 10 Jan 2010, 20:41 (Ref:2611206)   #25
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I think all forms of motorsport should have a reverse gear and on board starter. Better for the racing, safer for the marshalls, everyone wins. Forcing a driver to drop out of a race because he stalled the car is retarded.
i couldn't agree more...

seems that it could also be helpful on speedways (and any other track) for indy cars leaving the pit box, if they are being blocked by another car or another car's wheels.