Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 25 May 2006, 09:36 (Ref:1618488)   #1
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sieders to use a F1 Style Clutch

Link here; http://www.v8supercar.com.au/news/la...nd=M&gid=23377

I think it is good to see drivers who have got challenges to follow their dreams. I think this is a forward step for people who have lost their use in their legs or have their legs been cut off to have a blast in a V8. Good one you Sieders, you are a hero and get the top step on the podium at Wakefield.
Old 25 May 2006, 09:56 (Ref:1618505)   #2
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Barton
Link here; http://www.v8supercar.com.au/news/la...nd=M&gid=23377

I think it is good to see drivers who have got challenges to follow their dreams. I think this is a forward step for people who have lost their use in their legs or have their legs been cut off to have a blast in a V8. Good one you Sieders, you are a hero and get the top step on the podium at Wakefield.
Weren't hand clutches banned a few years ago after Craig Lowndes started using one? If so, will HRT build a new hand clutch?

Good work Colin, I bet you'll be glad to leave behind a certain category commentator who refers to you as a cripple on air.
Old 25 May 2006, 14:15 (Ref:1618691)   #3
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Kerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good stuff & good luck Colin, go kick some a**
Old 25 May 2006, 23:11 (Ref:1619097)   #4
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerri
go kick some a**
Don't rub it in!

Great to see he can still race
Old 25 May 2006, 23:51 (Ref:1619106)   #5
Matt H
Veteran

Matt H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore
Good work Colin, I bet you'll be glad to leave behind a certain category commentator who refers to you as a cripple on air.
who the hell said that ???
Old 26 May 2006, 00:11 (Ref:1619116)   #6
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Kerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan
Don't rub it in!

Great to see he can still race
It wasn't actually mean like that
Old 26 May 2006, 00:49 (Ref:1619122)   #7
Peter Nightingale
Racer

Australia
Australia
Peter Nightingale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Weren't hand clutches banned a few years ago after Craig Lowndes started using one? If so, will HRT build a new hand clutch?

For everyones info, i am disabled from the waist down, & under the commonwealth DISABILITY DISCRIMINATION ACT, Colin Seiders is very well protected on his use of hand operated clutch & comentators on air or anyone for that matter have to tread carefully on this subject, it is like walking on egg-shells.
Old 26 May 2006, 01:06 (Ref:1619129)   #8
Peter Nightingale
Racer

Australia
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerri
Good stuff & good luck Colin, go kick some a**
Thanks for sticking up for the DISABLED Kerri, nobody knows when it could happen to them selves or loved-ones....... Remember just because some-one is DISABLED it does'nt stop them from particpating in motorsport, look @ ALEX ZANADI & CLAY REGAZONI two instances at hand.... thanks again KERRI.......
Old 26 May 2006, 01:42 (Ref:1619140)   #9
Matt H
Veteran

I remember when i was officialing piarc sprints at the island, a silver bmw was always entered. the driver, whose name escapes me, was a paraplegic who used hand controls.

he was always top of his class. a reminder came over the radio at the start of his first run just to remind us of his situation should he need assistance.

go colin and stick it up them
Old 26 May 2006, 01:52 (Ref:1619143)   #10
Peter Nightingale
Racer

Australia
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt H
I remember when i was officialing piarc sprints at the island, a silver bmw was always entered. the driver, whose name escapes me, was a paraplegic who used hand controls.

he was always top of his class. a reminder came over the radio at the start of his first run just to remind us of his situation should he need assistance.

go colin and stick it up them
Excellent post, thanks Matt H..............
Old 26 May 2006, 02:24 (Ref:1619147)   #11
James63
Veteran

Australia
Q
James63 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wish him the best of luck. It obviously hasn't affected him that much because in the classes I've seen he aint slow at all.
Old 26 May 2006, 03:02 (Ref:1619160)   #12
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There was a guy who ran in the Commodore Classic (V8 VK's) series in the mid 80's, he ran an auto and hand controls and seemed to do quite well. There is also a HQ racer who is deaf running here in Victoria.

I'm all for people with disabilities racing BUT there has to be restrictions and limits in place to protect everyone else. After all normal driving involves use of both feet & hands so things like paddle auto shift gear boxes will need to be allowed as in a race situation trying to change gear, use the clutch, brake and steer and running out of hands could make a simple spin a lot worse and involve a lot of other vehicles.

Like I said I'm all for disabled rights, I spent a fair bit of time during my school days assisting local disabled groups, so don't take my previous paragraph as being against it it's just a comment that needs to be considered by all disabled racers when they look at what kind of vehicle to race in and the rule makers to allow the modifications on a one at a time basis.

As Matt H said they also need to ensure the trackside marshals are aware so they don't go off crook at the driver if he breaks down and doesn't get out of the car or in the case of our deaf HQ racer not answer questions when asked.
Old 26 May 2006, 03:35 (Ref:1619171)   #13
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA
There was a guy who ran in the Commodore Classic (V8 VK's) series in the mid 80's, he ran an auto and hand controls and seemed to do quite well. There is also a HQ racer who is deaf running here in Victoria.

I'm all for people with disabilities racing BUT there has to be restrictions and limits in place to protect everyone else. After all normal driving involves use of both feet & hands so things like paddle auto shift gear boxes will need to be allowed as in a race situation trying to change gear, use the clutch, brake and steer and running out of hands could make a simple spin a lot worse and involve a lot of other vehicles.

Like I said I'm all for disabled rights, I spent a fair bit of time during my school days assisting local disabled groups, so don't take my previous paragraph as being against it it's just a comment that needs to be considered by all disabled racers when they look at what kind of vehicle to race in and the rule makers to allow the modifications on a one at a time basis.

As Matt H said they also need to ensure the trackside marshals are aware so they don't go off crook at the driver if he breaks down and doesn't get out of the car or in the case of our deaf HQ racer not answer questions when asked.
Who fed you 'Happy pill's' this morning???

On a more serious note, for the first time in almost the 15 years I have known PVDA; I agree with him 100%.

The rulemakers need to embrace allcomers, within the limits of safety, and be consistant in their descisions.

I also recall a number of challenges to CAM$ by a disabled driver in the 80's / 90's (i'm a bit hazy on the time line) but IIRC the person spoken about above was knocked back on a GC licence a couple of times, before having a win.

The link below is also interesting...

http://www.hreoc.gov.au/disability_r...0/DD000140.htm

I am prepared to be corrected on the history behind the Paraplegic racer, I didn't have time to find a point of reference (via google)..
Old 26 May 2006, 04:04 (Ref:1619179)   #14
Peter Nightingale
Racer

Australia
Australia
My road car has both the brake & acelerator on the steering wheel, both electronically operated and reliable.......
Old 26 May 2006, 06:11 (Ref:1619204)   #15
Amonfan
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Amonfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ray Quincey, son of Maurie was very quick in Karts in the 80s, i remember him as a kid and he had hand controls. Last year at Geelong i raced against a pretty quick fella in Rotax Light who had the hand controls, in fact we had a great scrap until my clutch gave out.....
Old 26 May 2006, 10:43 (Ref:1619371)   #16
Matt H
Veteran

amonfan, thats the guy... from what i hear, he was an awesome person as well..
Old 27 May 2006, 03:16 (Ref:1619932)   #17
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Nightingale
For everyones info, i am disabled from the waist down, & under the commonwealth DISABILITY DISCRIMINATION ACT, Colin Seiders is very well protected on his use of hand operated clutch & comentators on air or anyone for that matter have to tread carefully on this subject, it is like walking on egg-shells.
Discrimination has nothing to do with it. HRT had a device. It was banned. Is Colin Seiders device sufficiently similar that it is:
a) in contravention of the technical regulations but being given a 'blind eye'
or b) the ban has been rescinded.

And said commetator's language is antiquated and condescending rather than discriminatory.
Old 27 May 2006, 03:22 (Ref:1619935)   #18
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
There was also a rally driver competing in the ARC in a Lancer Evo for several year i the 90's who was paraplegic. He had a push/pull paddle shifter behind the steering wheel.
Old 27 May 2006, 11:47 (Ref:1620125)   #19
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Nightingale
My road car has both the brake & acelerator on the steering wheel, both electronically operated and reliable.......
So I presume your car is an auto??

I think I remember the guy Uncle C is referring to and I remember he involved one of the current affairs TV programs in it and took them for a few laps around Calder. His biggest problem was he was driving a manual car and was trying to do everything with his hands and when he looped it at the end of the back straight he just didn't have enough hands to do everything he needed to do at the time to bring the car back under control.

Anyone know how Colin is doing at Wakefield??
Old 27 May 2006, 13:05 (Ref:1620161)   #20
BFC
Racer

BFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think one of the criteria for getting a licence was that the driver has to be able to extract himself from the car in 10 seconds in the event of an accident thats why he kept getting knocked back
Old 27 May 2006, 22:33 (Ref:1620377)   #21
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFC
i think one of the criteria for getting a licence was that the driver has to be able to extract himself from the car in 10 seconds in the event of an accident thats why he kept getting knocked back
I remember they were using that to test Craig Lowndes' fitness to return to racing after his Calder '99 accident.
Old 29 May 2006, 06:42 (Ref:1621691)   #22
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I remember they were using that to test Craig Lowndes' fitness to return to racing after his Calder '99 accident.
If my memory serves me correctly ( and sometimes it does not )
They were using that when he drove the car with the "petty" bar in it. I think TEGA were trying to have it outlawed on that reason, but he was able to get out in the alloted time and they let it go. That said they may have also resurected the rule after his crash also

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic