Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 24 Jun 2017, 12:10 (Ref:3746404)   #1
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Interesting Article in the Guardian

quite a good feature

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...-mans-24-hours
Old 24 Jun 2017, 12:34 (Ref:3746410)   #2
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Some really good points made there, but I often think sportscar fans are at their worse when they make constant comparisons to F1.

It's obvious we prefer it, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Personally, I like how much Le Mans and F1 contrast. Le Mans is completely its own universe. I love the paradox of it being one of the most famous sporting events in the world while also somehow being a secret that no one really knows about, and hearing about people being blown away after their first visit.
Old 24 Jun 2017, 23:33 (Ref:3746548)   #3
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Unreliability breeds unpredictability and that is where Le Mans shines. Racing should be unpredictable
Old 25 Jun 2017, 13:38 (Ref:3746632)   #4
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Some really good points made there, but I often think sportscar fans are at their worse when they make constant comparisons to F1.

It's obvious we prefer it, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Personally, I like how much Le Mans and F1 contrast. Le Mans is completely its own universe. I love the paradox of it being one of the most famous sporting events in the world while also somehow being a secret that no one really knows about, and hearing about people being blown away after their first visit.
Agreed. It's not F1, and the less it has to do with F1 the better.

And speaking of newbies being blown away, my brother-in-law, who has no interest in motor racing, came back for a third time this year. He was as surprised as I was.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 14:50 (Ref:3746664)   #5
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think people compare it to F1, because everybody knows what F1 is, and whether we like it or not, F1 is the top motorsport in the world for audience, visibility, etc.

But I do think series should learn from each other. There's a lot that F1 can learn from Le Mans. But then again, Le Mans should learn how to make a decent bloody website from everyone else, because the WEC site is a disaster. They can all learn from each other.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 14:59 (Ref:3746670)   #6
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And while they're at it, how about proper position indicators rather than just leader lights?
Old 25 Jun 2017, 18:10 (Ref:3746745)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
With something to help identify the driver?
Old 25 Jun 2017, 18:20 (Ref:3746751)   #8
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
With something to help identify the driver?
Was thinking of that earlier. LED light on the side. Driver 1 red, driver 2 green, driver 3 blue. Would mean you'd need to know who was drivers 1-2-3 though.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 18:36 (Ref:3746759)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think your suggestion would be enough. If you're interested enough to want to know then this gives you the opportunity to easily find out. You'd just need the website, spotters guide or race programme to tell you.

During a 24 hour race and the practice before you'd get to learn it for the cars that you care for.

You could go the whole hog and have some system that showed the drivers name, but I'm not too fussed. Give me the opportunity to tell.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 18:42 (Ref:3746764)   #10
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Well since we're on a roll and this topic had an article about what F1 car learn from Le Mans, how about what Le Mans can learn from everywhere else? From a fan point of view - trackside, and home viewing

Number position panels (Blancpain/IMSA)
A website that works (Every other series)
A stream that works (Every other series)
Current driver lights (Does anything have that?)
A commentary team provided by RLM (IMSA, VLN, ELMS)
Old 25 Jun 2017, 19:43 (Ref:3746798)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
These are not really lessons from other series, but here are a few.

At track. More facilities and less queues for beer and food.
At home. Better timing that shows sectors and other information from the official source. And reliability as you say. Unofficial timing was better than official!
At home. Ability to have no commentary on the official feed, just race track sounds. I'm not bothered about having to buy separate coverage when I have the fee for it.
At track. Kangaroo again. Or the ability to offer 4G to 200,000 people at once!

Generally the ability to watch is pretty good at the track and after this year at home I can say it was pretty good at home. Can always improve though...
Old 25 Jun 2017, 20:37 (Ref:3746814)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
....the ability to offer 4G to 200,000 people at once!
Definitely this. I spent a long time this year behind the scenes trying to find out why O2 treat their customers so badly abroad. No 4G at all in France!!
Old 26 Jun 2017, 05:12 (Ref:3746870)   #13
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Definitely this. I spent a long time this year behind the scenes trying to find out why O2 treat their customers so badly abroad. No 4G at all in France!!
Rather than stare at a small lump of plastic try looking at that black ribbon of tarmac, big screens also help, not sure why anyone travels hundreds of miles to watch a race only to try and follow it on their phone, the addiction of those things is a curse of the modern world, Andrew you used to enjoy the race before you had them and you seem to enjoy it less now. Solution is obvious
Old 26 Jun 2017, 09:31 (Ref:3746905)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Rather than stare at a small lump of plastic try looking at that black ribbon of tarmac, big screens also help, not sure why anyone travels hundreds of miles to watch a race only to try and follow it on their phone, the addiction of those things is a curse of the modern world, Andrew you used to enjoy the race before you had them and you seem to enjoy it less now. Solution is obvious
Not at all Simon - quite the opposite in fact. I can say totally honestly that I'm enjoying Le Mans far more now than I ever used to and it's because my focus is almost solely on the race while it's going on that I like to make use of all the information available to me. I bought the app pack for Le Mans but struggled to use it thanks to O2.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 26 Jun 2017 at 10:29.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 10:21 (Ref:3746913)   #15
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland

Mobile phone is incredible useful for things like live timing information. Some of us want to enjoy the experience of being there, some of us want to try and understand the race flow as much as we can. No harm in either.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 10:30 (Ref:3746917)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post

Mobile phone is incredible useful for things like live timing information. Some of us want to enjoy the experience of being there, some of us want to try and understand the race flow as much as we can. No harm in either.
Exactly so. And Le Mans gives you the time to have your cake and eat it.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 14:57 (Ref:3746975)   #17
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Well as you have already said your o2 connection meant it did not work very well and yet you enjoyed the race even more, the amount of people i saw staring at phones is no different at le mans to the actual world, oblivious to everything around them, what a way to exist.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 14:58 (Ref:3746976)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Ah, but it's all a case of staying connected Simon, still a reasonably new concept and one which we'll undoubtedly hear a great deal more of over the next few years at Le Mans and elsewhere.....
Old 26 Jun 2017, 17:33 (Ref:3747043)   #19
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Perhaps but the thought of 260,000 people all starring at phones while the race in front of them is ignored is a horrid idea, yes use the info only when you need it, and if you look up from your phone sometime Andrew and look at most of the younger generation around you, then you will see what a horrid addiction the modern phone is.

Sorry but pet hate of mine
Old 26 Jun 2017, 17:39 (Ref:3747046)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I don't disagree Simon, I see it all the time too. But the modern phone is such a useful device - I even left my video camera at home this year as my phone takes better quality video!
Old 27 Jun 2017, 17:55 (Ref:3747378)   #21
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Muppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Not quite within this argument, but my first visits to LM coincided with me getting interested in photography. And someone made a very similar comment to me about watching the race through my lens. Each to their own and all that, but I think you do have a point...
Old 27 Jun 2017, 18:03 (Ref:3747380)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetdave901 View Post
Not quite within this argument, but my first visits to LM coincided with me getting interested in photography. And someone made a very similar comment to me about watching the race through my lens. Each to their own and all that, but I think you do have a point...
That is a good point Dave, as much the same occurred with me. I only started going to racing (again) around the end of '84 when I returned home after studying. The issue of the camera to the eye has been a constant for me now for all the time since and it's something I find impossible to shake off, even though I tell myself each year that I'm not going to take 500 shots of cars at Tertre Rouge again. In fact, sitting in Raccordement for the last hour and a half of this year's race, I used taking photographs purely as a means of staying awake!
Old 27 Jun 2017, 18:07 (Ref:3747384)   #23
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Muppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
That is a good point Dave, as much the same occurred with me. I only started going to racing (again) around the end of '84 when I returned home after studying. The issue of the camera to the eye has been a constant for me now for all the time since and it's something I find impossible to shake off, even though I tell myself each year that I'm not going to take 500 shots of cars at Tertre Rouge again. In fact, sitting in Raccordement for the last hour and a half of this year's race, I used taking photographs purely as a means of staying awake!
I managed to break the 'curse' the year I went with another photography friend. I limited myself to my 50mm lens only for the whole weekend, and a strict rule not to take 500 photos of the same corner. Wayyyyy more fun, I saw more of the race and had a much more varied series of photos
Old 27 Jun 2017, 18:11 (Ref:3747386)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
You're clearly a lot more disciplined than me! Having said that, I ditched my old video camera this year because my iPhone takes far better video. Because that's so handy, I took a lot of video which has cut down on the number of photos I took with my SLR - as did the heat, because we spent more time in grandstands for the shade where we would otherwise have been walking around the circuit a lot more. (We still walked plenty but my 'mileage' was down on last year!).
Old 28 Jun 2017, 06:34 (Ref:3747536)   #25
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
...we spent more time in grandstands for the shade where we would otherwise have been walking around the circuit a lot more...
On a similar note to comments about "watching through the camera lens", it is often too easy (especially if there is 'weather') to just sit in the grandstand and watch the race on the big tv screen above the pits, rather than walking around the track and seeing the action up close.