Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 17 Jun 2012, 14:51 (Ref:3093676)   #676
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkiller8 View Post
Some time ago there was also the GM/corvette lmp1 rumor.
I don't even count that as a rumor. It's an opinion on a blog.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 09:23 (Ref:3094006)   #677
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
There's also a rumour that Mark Webber will be one of the lead drivers in 2014. Like most of the crap that comes out of the Australian motoring media with their 'insider knowledge' and love of photoshops that bear no resemblance to the finished product that hits the showrooms I'll believe when I see it.

Would love to see it happen though.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 09:43 (Ref:3094018)   #678
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
German manufacturers feat Toyota fighting each other at Le Mans...it'll be 1998 all over again.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 13:27 (Ref:3094101)   #679
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That was a great year.
Old 3 Jul 2012, 14:20 (Ref:3101372)   #680
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
There's an interesting article on motorsport-total.com on Porsche's LMP1 project, apparently they`ve started scouting the pit lane for talent as key Audi guys have been tried to lure away with a double salary etc.
Old 3 Jul 2012, 14:50 (Ref:3101382)   #681
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
MJones94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
There's also a rumour that Mark Webber will be one of the lead drivers in 2014. Like most of the crap that comes out of the Australian motoring media with their 'insider knowledge' and love of photoshops that bear no resemblance to the finished product that hits the showrooms I'll believe when I see it.

Would love to see it happen though.
You know what, I am not that suprised with that rumour tbh. I mean we could even see Jenson Button in sporstcars in a few years.
Old 3 Jul 2012, 14:51 (Ref:3101383)   #682
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is it key guys, or key guy? The translation refers to the singular form, but that means little.
Old 3 Jul 2012, 14:53 (Ref:3101384)   #683
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
There's an interesting article on motorsport-total.com on Porsche's LMP1 project, apparently they`ve started scouting the pit lane for talent as key Audi guys have been tried to lure away with a double salary etc.

I think Mark would make an excellent fit....and besides he owns a GT2RS.
Old 3 Jul 2012, 15:27 (Ref:3101398)   #684
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Is it key guys, or key guy? The translation refers to the singular form, but that means little.
He says he knows of one attempt to lure someone from Audi.
Old 3 Jul 2012, 16:24 (Ref:3101423)   #685
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Somewhere in the world...
Dario911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Heidfeld would be a very good choice, together with experienced drivers like Dumas and Bernhard he would make an excellent trio. Another one would be composed by Pagenaud, Brabham and Webber. I'm sure the name Porsche will have a lot of fascination over a lot of top drivers... Porsche has written the best pages in this race. Porsche and Le Mans are the same as Ferrari and Formula 1.
To win Le Mans with a Porsche is more than winning with any other manufacturer, at the same way to win a F1 world championship, has a different taste if you do it with a Ferrari.
I'm sure Porsche will play to win since the first time, and so it will catch the best drivers they can get.
I hope to now more official details as soon as possible!
Porsche... the best has yet to come!
Le Mans, 23/06/2013, 15:00, Allan we miss you!
Porsche 1°-2° in GTE-Pro class with 991 GT3 RSR
Porsche 1st. place in GTE-Am class with 997 GT3 RSR
Old 3 Jul 2012, 22:32 (Ref:3101570)   #686
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regarding drivers, we all assume that Dumas & Bernhard in. So who will be the others? Any of their current roster of drivers? Lieb? What about Rockenfeller , or will they be scoring the F1 or SuperGT paddocks?
Old 3 Jul 2012, 23:51 (Ref:3101593)   #687
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Patrick Long has to have a look if Penske is involved.
Old 4 Jul 2012, 00:56 (Ref:3101617)   #688
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnageWRC View Post
Regarding drivers, we all assume that Dumas & Bernhard in. So who will be the others? Any of their current roster of drivers? Lieb? What about Rockenfeller , or will they be scoring the F1 or SuperGT paddocks?
I'm thinking their hiring strategy will be similar to Audi's in recent years.
That is, if there's any external hiring that occurs, they'll take proven talents from other programmes, rather than F1 refugees - where the option is available.

Pagenaud, Franchitti, Maassen, Collard, and Pla all pretty decent options.
They could certainly do much worse than Graf/Luhr, also. Pickett's voiced interest in running a Porsche in P1 - perhaps this will be considered by the factory.

Having Webber or Heidfeld involved couldn't really be considered a weakness, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
Patrick Long has to have a look if Penske is involved.
I'd tend to think Long would have a look in, regardless. N/A's a big market for Porsche - he's American.
As far as pace is concerned, he's as quick as any of the alternatives, and deserves consideration on that basis alone.

Last edited by R4z3rw33n; 4 Jul 2012 at 01:03.
Old 4 Jul 2012, 01:21 (Ref:3101625)   #689
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
surely for the first 2 years, the cars will be ran by the work team (porsche AG) and even if there will be a customer program, doubt that porsche will decide to compete in ALMS where lmp1 class is really poor.
Old 4 Jul 2012, 03:15 (Ref:3101640)   #690
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkiller8 View Post
surely for the first 2 years, the cars will be ran by the work team (porsche AG) and even if there will be a customer program, doubt that porsche will decide to compete in ALMS where lmp1 class is really poor.
That specific scenario is dependent on Porsche's willingness to make available customer cars; providing this occurs, I can't see any barrier (exempting finance) to Pickett running such a car.
To clarify, I wasn't suggesting MM is likely to become a factory outfit; only that, providing both parties were willing, seems there'd likely be few barriers to MM purchasing and, fielding a car (with the lineup of Graf/Luhr) in ALMS.
Old 4 Jul 2012, 05:02 (Ref:3101648)   #691
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Apparently everyone's copy-paste is broken:

http://www.motorsport-total.com/wec/..._12070302.html
Old 4 Jul 2012, 05:05 (Ref:3101650)   #692
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by R4z3rw33n View Post
I'm thinking their hiring strategy will be similar to Audi's in recent years.
That is, if there's any external hiring that occurs, they'll take proven talents from other programmes, rather than F1 refugees - where the option is available.

Pagenaud, Franchitti, Maassen, Collard, and Pla all pretty decent options.
They could certainly do much worse than Graf/Luhr, also. Pickett's voiced interest in running a Porsche in P1 - perhaps this will be considered by the factory.

Having Webber or Heidfeld involved couldn't really be considered a weakness, either.

I'd tend to think Long would have a look in, regardless. N/A's a big market for Porsche - he's American.
As far as pace is concerned, he's as quick as any of the alternatives, and deserves consideration on that basis alone.
Agree with everything except Maassen. He might have a "consulting" role in the development, but I doubt that he will be considered for a drive.
Old 4 Jul 2012, 05:50 (Ref:3101661)   #693
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Agree with everything except Maassen. He might have a "consulting" role in the development, but I doubt that he will be considered for a drive.
What makes you say that? He is certainly talented enough.
Old 4 Jul 2012, 06:24 (Ref:3101671)   #694
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
I think he's a bit too old by now and I seem to remember him being the slowest of the regulars during the RS Spyder program.
Old 4 Jul 2012, 08:04 (Ref:3101708)   #695
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
I think he's a bit too old by now and I seem to remember him being the slowest of the regulars during the RS Spyder program.
Didnt realise he was in his forties ( I swear he was still thirty something but wikipedia says otherwise)

Im sure he still has a lot to offer the new LMP1 programme even if he isnt the youngest and quickest hot shoe out there.

His experience (especially with Porsche's last LMP-the Spyder RS programme) would be invaluable in development at least.
Old 4 Jul 2012, 08:07 (Ref:3101711)   #696
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Pescarolo may be a well experienced team to count on. Heni knows Le Mans very well, and he may be capable to manage the car in a good way, expecially if he would be joined by some Stuttgart engineers, technicians and drivers. Pug and Dome experiences have not been very satisfying for Henri and his crew, but I think with Porsche he may be a real star in Le Mans.
He knows very well Porsche, and has a good relation with Singer.If I was a Porsche Team Manager, I'd decided to involve Henri in LMP1 program, as main customer team.
Pescarolo Team Porsche, it sounds good to me!
Actually, ALMS LMP1 parterre is not so attractive for Porsche, 'cause there are no real opponents. So Penske would be interested in LM, but I'm not sure they would be attracted by WEC or ALMS, expecially if Porsche would take place with it's own works team. Anyway, Penske would be a real ace in P1, watching to its results in P2 with RS Spyder...
Old 4 Jul 2012, 08:13 (Ref:3101714)   #697
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Quote:
Maassen was not the fastest with RS Spyder, but he's very regular and reliable at the wheels. And this counts very much in LM. I think he may be a good choice for a second crew, based upon reliability more than over speed. At the same way it was Brabham in Pug program. Experience does very much in a so tough race as Le Mans. Maassen could bring experience and reliability.
On the other hand, he's a perfect tester, so he could help Porsche to improve the car since the first times.
Old 4 Jul 2012, 09:35 (Ref:3101758)   #698
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about contracted drivers from the Supercups? Edwards and Rast for example?
Old 4 Jul 2012, 10:22 (Ref:3101781)   #699
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maassen is surely an excellent development driver, I remember doing tyre testing with him back in the 90s, but so is Heidfeld, for example.
Old 4 Jul 2012, 11:22 (Ref:3101818)   #700
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
On September 28th 2014 Sascha Maassen will turn 45. It's not likely he will be one of the drivers, however, and as stated before, I would not be surprised if he had a role in testing.