Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Sep 2005, 13:21 (Ref:1409925)   #1
flashF1
Racer

Canada
Canada
flashF1 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
A Contract vs Ambition?

Lets face it, and be honest with yourself if you choose to reply. Today whether in F1 or any other facet of one’s life misguided ambition out ways one's honourable word.

I don’t fault anyone for being ambitious however I think your word on a contract should be honored. In my eyes, it's your word of honour to fufill you're ambition. As evidence of blind ambition I point to Jenson and BMW. I think those two examples are really self explainatory.

As evidence of someone who is ambitious and maybe true to their contractual commitments I offer Michael Schumacher. A 7x WDC as proof, no?

I don’t know if I am right so I look to this forum for their opinion.

What’s more important ambition or a contract?
Old 17 Sep 2005, 13:38 (Ref:1409931)   #2
Stargazer7
Racer

Greece
Athens
Stargazer7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ambition in the heart and soul of every game, the motive that let you go on, but the contract.. The contract is the actual rulebook of the game and nowadays, if you don't act according to the rulebook you are ouu of the game...
Old 17 Sep 2005, 15:25 (Ref:1409967)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Your word.

and with any luck that will eventually be rewarded.

If you ignore your word or the written form of that the contract then you can expect others to ignore it too.
Old 17 Sep 2005, 15:48 (Ref:1409973)   #4
flashF1
Racer

Canada
Canada
flashF1 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Luck are you serious? So BMW got there by luck and Jenson too? Pray tell was Jenson's 2004 season lucky or for that matter BMW leaving Williams, who now have engine, design team, tires, sponsor and driver issues to deal with?

It's not about luck it's about ones word and contractual obligation. That is unless one words mean squat.
Old 17 Sep 2005, 16:26 (Ref:1409986)   #5
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's looking like it's all very circumstantial. I don't think there's a pattern of either contract or ambition - I think it's pretty dependant on the situation. Big Schuey - reckon he would have abided by every word of his contract if the Ferrari dream didn't materialise?
Old 17 Sep 2005, 16:34 (Ref:1409990)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashF1
Luck are you serious? So BMW got there by luck and Jenson too? Pray tell was Jenson's 2004 season lucky or for that matter BMW leaving Williams, who now have engine, design team, tires, sponsor and driver issues to deal with?

It's not about luck it's about ones word and contractual obligation. That is unless one words mean squat.
Sorry. I think you miss what I am saying. I am talking about the general situation of sticking by your word. With an luck people will notice you do that and you will be rewarded with people sticking by you too. At no point did I say that this would definitely happen. In addition I wasn't referring directly to BMW, Jenson or Michael.

You asked "What’s more important ambition or a contract?"
I replied "Your word", with the explanation that a contract is an extention of your word.

Which I think was what you are saying. Am I wrong here?

As for Schumacher, if we are dealing specifics rather than generalities, then remember the Jordan letter of intent?

BTW, welcome to our friendly forum, it was remiss of me not to welcome you before
Old 17 Sep 2005, 18:11 (Ref:1410027)   #7
Hip Priest
Racer

Hip Priest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashF1
As evidence of someone who is ambitious and maybe true to their contractual commitments I offer Michael Schumacher. A 7x WDC as proof, no?
Shumacher reneged on his agreement with Eddie Jordan, in order to follow his ambition.

He has been loyal to Ferrari, but I expect that he would have left had they not delivered a great car, and i also imagine that Ferrari would have ditched him if he hadn't delivered the goods on the track.

A contract only means so much. If Jenson Button does not want to honour his contract at Williams, then i think he will find a way to worm out of it.
Old 17 Sep 2005, 18:31 (Ref:1410031)   #8
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
"Your word is your bond" Is what I was raised to believe, I still think that to be true. However when it comes to large amounts of money or pure selfish ambition people tend to forget what they agreed too.

In the case of Jenson Button's contract with Sir Frank Williams it is my view that he(Jenson) is making himself look ridiculous, not a man of his word and is doing himself damage, and therefore it will not bode well for his future. That is just take
Old 17 Sep 2005, 21:24 (Ref:1410088)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's probably best to stick by your word.

If not, the negative repercussions can be huge.

If Jenson, for example, doesn't have any success in the near future and looks to switch teams, who the hell would want to sign a contract with him after what has happened?

Screw people about and you get done over yourself in the future IMO.

I mean, there are many examples of people honouring less than promising looking contracts. JPM for one, who looked a right idiot to many for signing for Mclaren when he did, rather than staying at the potentially dominant looking Williams BMW team. Nobody questions that decision now of course.