Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Aug 2004, 17:44 (Ref:1081733)   #1
rctonka
Rookie

rctonka should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spa v Silverstone

For the first time i went to spa this weekend and im wondering how Mr Ecclestone has the balls to criticize the general ammenities/facilities and parking/roads in Silverstone?
i went to silverstone in 2001 and found the parking and circuit facilities 100% better than Spa's.

Friday upon entering the francochamps town pandomoniam set in with the traffic management
Spa being Spa it rained friday and saturday non stop, the campsites and parking facilites soon became muddy swamps with most vehicles needing a tow from varous tractors and jcb's.
The Q's trying to get out of the circuit via the maze of tunnels and stairs were chronic, i know there are tens of thousands of people there all heading in the same direction and Q's are inevitable but this was just unacceptable, the stairs are narrow, tunnels with carpet all rucked up causing people to trip, pushing and shoving from mainly belgians and germans who cant wait like the rest of us, luckily i had the foresite to make my way to the entrance 30 mins before the end of the race (not missing any of the action) and miss the Q's and traffic!
Plenty of food available but extremly over priced.
Dont get me wrong, apart from this i enjoyed myself and im not a moaning old git but i dont think bernie has ever got his feet muddy and struggled with the real fans who are treated like cattle, GET OUT OF YOUR VIP BOX BERNIE!!!
Old 30 Aug 2004, 17:50 (Ref:1081735)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There are more hills and trees at Spa...
Old 30 Aug 2004, 18:02 (Ref:1081742)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I went to Silverstone this year and couldn't fault it at all.

Apart from the food of course.
Old 30 Aug 2004, 18:12 (Ref:1081747)   #4
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
spa is fine I found - no toilet queues, good plentiful food, great viewing, decent racing,and simply stunning beer - then I was in Gold 2 when I went - only problem for me bein the road out.
Old 31 Aug 2004, 11:15 (Ref:1082530)   #5
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Draven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I understand your frustration, while spa is great and I have no complaints about it I have always found it hard to understand what bernie is complaining about with silverstone.

I've been there for a number of BGP's. I was there in 98 when it rained like hell and I still could not complain about the circuit facilities. It has improved year on year and I can only assume his main gripe is pits and sponsor hospitality.

Last edited by Draven; 31 Aug 2004 at 11:16.
Old 31 Aug 2004, 11:18 (Ref:1082537)   #6
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
one thing I should have said though, until this year the price was ridiculous. Thats what berni should have complained about, putting the public off with silly ticket prices.
Old 31 Aug 2004, 14:11 (Ref:1082709)   #7
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Having just spent one of the more memorable weekends of my life there, I'm definitely a convert. Spa is incredible. The circuit, the setting, the viewing, the history, the atmosphere. We had no problem with facilities either - and were prepared for the long walk. One thing that helped, I guess, is that we were only there on race day so enjoyed a lovely day of sunshine without having endured 36 hours of rain beforehand.

There are elements that could be improved, including better management of the crowds leaving the circuit (an extra couple of underpasses and widening of bottlenecks would help) - however once we got to the coach we were only in traffic jams for an hour, which isn't bad at all. Permanent toilet blocks - like those at Silverstone now - would be nice, but Spa is a very large circuit in the middle of a forest... it's not just a case of plumbing in to nearby water pipes.

The vast majority of race and rally fans accept that a day or a weekend at some circuits/venues is liable to involve getting up in the middle of the night, a serious amount of walking, somewhat basic (and in some cases non-existent) facilities, and some delay getting to and from the area. As far as we're concerned, those minor discomforts and inconveniences are worth it to see the action for real and be part of the atmosphere. Those that don't think it's worth it are probably best sticking to watching on telly and the occasional sponsors' hospitality unless they're willing/able to shell out the green stuff to do it the VIP way.

I'm also a fan of Silverstone, particularly for F1 and GTs. Bearing in mind how flat it is, it's a great track, and spectator facilities are now perfectly acceptable. (I haven't been to the BGP for a while, so I don't know what the availability of food etc is like these days). Access to and from the circuit is no longer an issue either. What Silverstone needs is the investment to back up what has already been done - rebuild the pit complex, either where it is or down the back straight, and continue the work still ongoing to improve it for the spectators.

I am now very firmly of the view that F1 needs these great historic circuits. It's no coincidence that Spa and Silverstone have seen some of the best F1 races in modern times. All that's required is the investment to keep the circuit facilities up to date without losing what makes them so special.
Old 31 Aug 2004, 14:15 (Ref:1082713)   #8
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spa wins hands down. Silverstone is as flat as a certain celebrities ****! Silverstone is a good circuit in many ways, but Spa... Its in a league of its own.
Old 31 Aug 2004, 14:30 (Ref:1082733)   #9
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by touringcarnut
Spa wins hands down. Silverstone is as flat as a certain celebrities ****! Silverstone is a good circuit in many ways, but Spa... Its in a league of its own.
Amen

Elevation changes are always a good thing. I mean, imagine Eau Rouge being flat... just wouldn't be the same, would it?
Old 31 Aug 2004, 14:33 (Ref:1082736)   #10
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Spa is absolutly my preferred track, but I think the post was more concerned with facilities and organisation.
Old 31 Aug 2004, 14:47 (Ref:1082748)   #11
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From a race place its Spa for me.
Silverstone is one of the current good circuits but it is, I agree flat...well it was an airfield.
Now if only Oulton had been developed,,,ah well.

Cheers
Peter
Old 1 Sep 2004, 13:57 (Ref:1083813)   #12
jet
Racer

Netherlands
Harderwijk (Netherlands)
jet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They are both very nice race tracks and at any circuit there is something wrong toilets the roads to the circuit, ect.But what is really a shame is the price of a ticket an the food and drinks you buy at circuit that is really to expensive.Silverstone is a big name in race history and Spa has Eau Rouge.