Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 22 May 2014, 01:00 (Ref:3408843)   #1
mkfotos

Shooting technique for a "warp speed" or "tunnel vision" effect?

Hi everyone!

New to the forum and excited to be on here as I've been looking for a photography forum more dedicated to motorsports for some time.

I would like to get some opinions and advice on how to shoot the "warp speed" effect on my DSLR.

To be more specific; consider a pan shot from left to right (or vise versa) at a slow shutter speed blurring the background giving the effect the subject is travelling much faster than it is.

Now I've been practicing and trying to mimic this effect through the depth field of vision, i.e. as the subject is travelling directly towards or away the camera lens, blurring the entire perimeter into the focal center point of the subject. The result being a "warp speed" effect as what you would see the starship enterprise do when it turns on it's after burners.

I would appreciate any techniques for shooting this type of photo.

Thanks!!

Old 22 May 2014, 18:43 (Ref:3409071)   #2
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This was shot at 1/30th sec at f9 VR off . Practice and luck are the only advice I can give as I'm still learning !

Brands Blancpain GT's. (1 of 1)-84 by Paul Babington Photography, on Flickr
Old 22 May 2014, 19:40 (Ref:3409096)   #3
marc sproule
Racer

marc sproule should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if you have a zoom lens......

you could try zooming as you shoot. shutter speed can't be too fast. experimentation should show you what you can do.

there may be some similar shots somewhere in my sets. most likely the imsa set 'cuz i think there might be one or two in there....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46681980@N03/sets
Old 27 May 2014, 01:24 (Ref:3411117)   #4
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I've watched Camden Thrasher working the zoom ring to do what you've mentioned? It really is NOT the simplest technique to master.
I can only suggest Practice, Practice, Practice. You will shoot a LOT of tat, before it comes right.
Old 16 Jul 2014, 00:01 (Ref:3434283)   #5
lemansnsx
Rookie

lemansnsx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is another way of doing this by use of a radial zoom filter from Cokin for a car coming straight at you or away from you. For a panning shot you would use a speed or a super speed filter.
Very gimmicky and only to be used once in a blue moon.
Old 17 Jul 2014, 14:53 (Ref:3434902)   #6
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
One 'trick' my middle son taught me was to shoot on a slow shutter speed, and rotate the camera. On odd occasions, it works, and is surprisingly effective.
He was bored, and we were watching a grid form up...
Old 17 Jul 2014, 16:07 (Ref:3434919)   #7
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, zoom blur as others mentioned (zoom while shooting - you need a slow enough shutter speed and very steady hands or a monopod to make this work). Or super-slow shutter speed panning as a car rounds a corner. As mentioned, a low percentage ploy until you become good at it (actually, even if you become good at it!) but can result in a satisfying "car exploding everywhere with bits of it sharp" effect when it works.

Darren Heath is an acknowledged master of this kind of thing - well worth a look (you may know of his work already):
http://www.darrenheath.com/2014
Old 20 Jul 2014, 19:08 (Ref:3435939)   #8
99hjhm
Rookie

United Kingdom
The Internet
99hjhm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post
Yep, zoom blur as others mentioned (zoom while shooting - you need a slow enough shutter speed and very steady hands or a monopod to make this work). Or super-slow shutter speed panning as a car rounds a corner. As mentioned, a low percentage ploy until you become good at it (actually, even if you become good at it!) but can result in a satisfying "car exploding everywhere with bits of it sharp" effect when it works.

Darren Heath is an acknowledged master of this kind of thing - well worth a look (you may know of his work already):
http://www.darrenheath.com/2014
Darren Heath doesn't use zoom lenses.
Old 24 Jul 2014, 11:58 (Ref:3437269)   #9
yasushicho
Rookie

yasushicho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rainer Schlegelmilch is the one for zoom bursts. Pretty much his trademark. The most famous one being of Stefan Johansson in the 1985 Monaco Grand Prix.
I wouldn't recommend using a monopod for this type of shot as its too restrictive. In terms of lenses a pull zoom is probably best but can still work fine with twist style. I think Rainer used a 35-350mm Canon lens at some time or another. Not sure if he still does.
A shutter speed of 1/8th second should be a good starting point and start zooming before you press the shutter. It takes practice, a lot of frames and a bit of luck to get right. This shot got a whole easier with digital which makes the Johansson shot even more impressive. Enjoy!

Last edited by yasushicho; 24 Jul 2014 at 12:23.