Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 16 Nov 2010, 18:48 (Ref:2791754)   #1
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shift 2 aka...

...The FIA GT game.

Speedhunters article

This plus Dirt 3 just made 2011 epic.

Last edited by I Rosputnik; 16 Nov 2010 at 19:05.
Old 16 Nov 2010, 18:50 (Ref:2791757)   #2
ROB IS THE STIG
Veteran

England
Paddock Hill Bend Brands Hatch!!
ROB IS THE STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Need for speed, EPIC, ru sure???

They're all s**t
Old 16 Nov 2010, 18:52 (Ref:2791758)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In the meantime we have Need For Speed Hot Pursuit, out on Friday.
Old 16 Nov 2010, 18:53 (Ref:2791759)   #4
ROB IS THE STIG
Veteran

England
Have u played the demo, its utter cack
Old 16 Nov 2010, 19:02 (Ref:2791763)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Enjoyed it personally.

You think F1 2010 is the greatest game of all time so don't you start.
Old 16 Nov 2010, 19:08 (Ref:2791769)   #6
ROB IS THE STIG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Enjoyed it personally.

You think F1 2010 is the greatest game of all time so don't you start.

Not quite, just not a NFS fan.
Old 16 Nov 2010, 19:25 (Ref:2791780)   #7
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First Screenshots
Old 17 Nov 2010, 06:07 (Ref:2791971)   #8
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Bathurst is in this-Im sold! Cant wait to do a GT1 race around the mountain.
Old 17 Nov 2010, 13:35 (Ref:2792100)   #9
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great, my favourite race series license goes to the group who made what was, and still is in IMO the most over-rated, over hyped and poor racing games ever conceived. This is going to have to be a hell of a lot better than the first shift for me to even consider buying it.
Old 17 Nov 2010, 17:47 (Ref:2792186)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Need For Speed is a fantastic franchise that has simply lost its way a little.

I do find the GTR tie in odd though.
Old 19 Nov 2010, 08:56 (Ref:2793011)   #11
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I've just read the article in OXM uk about Shift 2, and it appears they want to spin Shift off into it's own series away from NFS.

Good move if you ask me.
Old 19 Nov 2010, 17:34 (Ref:2793168)   #12
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought Shift was a good change of direction and a positive one! People just turn their noses up at anything labeled NFS

And similarly NFS fanboys turn their noses at Shift, so taking Shift out of the NFS franchise is a good plan!
Old 19 Nov 2010, 22:11 (Ref:2793260)   #13
stuart thompson
Veteran

England
Northfleet, Kent
stuart thompson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I quite enjoyed the last shift but the bits added on around the circuits and the rather arcadey handling annoyed me. Let's hope both are addressed in a potentially good game.
Old 20 Nov 2010, 03:45 (Ref:2793328)   #14
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=nickyf1;2793168]I thought Shift was a good change of direction and a positive one! People just turn their noses up at anything labeled NFS
QUOTE]

No, the reason a lot of people turned their noses up at shift was not because of the Need for Speed franchise, it was because it was sh*t. I honestly never knew why everyone raved about shift, the graphics were pretty good and there was a good choice of cars. But, the gameplay was shocking, even with a steering wheel the handling was beyond bad, the brakes were sodding horrendous and all that tat round the tracks was needless. And before anyone flames me for my last point, just remember, shift was marketed as a realistic/sim game to take on the likes of Forza/Gran Turismo.

If I'm honest, taking the need for speed name away from shift and vice versa won't make a difference, it's how good they make the game and the team behind the previous shift will have to do a much better job. Especially considering they now have the FIA GT1 and FIA GT3 licenses, and a lot of people have been crying out for a sportscar racing game for a long time now, me included. Let's hope they get it right this time and don't turn out an over-hyped piece of crap like they did before.
Old 20 Nov 2010, 03:49 (Ref:2793330)   #15
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hope they don't let the crew from NFS:Hot Pursuit anywhere even near the buildings Shift 2 is being designed in. I go into NFS games with a hope of something close to driving with mostly smashing and banging but this new one?? Not sure there are the words to fully describe it, utter waste of the plastic the game is distributed in and on come to mind. Not sure if it's just me but every car seems to drive exactly the same except for the top end, and it seems like they forgot to model front end grip. Feels like I float from one side of the road to the other and sometimes back with tiny inputs on the stick, and thanks to the time trial like no damage events I'm going crazy in the first 4 hours of playing it. And I have found the tire squeal at every turn, along with apparent drift in even a 45 mph corner to be a bit excessive, kills the sound of the game although the engine noise isn't that great either, but it's NFS I don't except separate sound modelling for each car.

Back to the thread topic, I'm sure I'll still try Shift 2 since there won't be a new FM for a while and I can't use the PS3 controller to drive. Have tried never got the hang of it but I don't really like it for other games either.
Old 20 Nov 2010, 05:30 (Ref:2793342)   #16
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Hope they don't let the crew from NFS:Hot Pursuit anywhere even near the buildings Shift 2 is being designed in. I go into NFS games with a hope of something close to driving with mostly smashing and banging but this new one?? Not sure there are the words to fully describe it, utter waste of the plastic the game is distributed in and on come to mind. Not sure if it's just me but every car seems to drive exactly the same except for the top end, and it seems like they forgot to model front end grip. Feels like I float from one side of the road to the other and sometimes back with tiny inputs on the stick, and thanks to the time trial like no damage events I'm going crazy in the first 4 hours of playing it. And I have found the tire squeal at every turn, along with apparent drift in even a 45 mph corner to be a bit excessive, kills the sound of the game although the engine noise isn't that great either, but it's NFS I don't except separate sound modelling for each car.

Back to the thread topic, I'm sure I'll still try Shift 2 since there won't be a new FM for a while and I can't use the PS3 controller to drive. Have tried never got the hang of it but I don't really like it for other games either.
You do realize the need for speed franchise isn't supposed to be realistic at all, right?
Old 20 Nov 2010, 13:12 (Ref:2793428)   #17
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
You do realize the need for speed franchise isn't supposed to be realistic at all, right?
Especially when it's made by the guys behind Burnout.

Anyway, I do hope the physics get a huge overhaul. Shift 1 got almost everything right, but the physics. Most cars are unplayable in Shift 1.
Old 20 Nov 2010, 13:31 (Ref:2793431)   #18
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
It's like everyone forgets the original Need For Speed games...
Old 20 Nov 2010, 14:23 (Ref:2793445)   #19
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
Especially when it's made by the guys behind Burnout.

Anyway, I do hope the physics get a huge overhaul. Shift 1 got almost everything right, but the physics. Most cars are unplayable in Shift 1.
The Shift franchise is being made by Slightly Mad Studios - a group that formed from the people who made GTR.

Hot Pursuit is being made by Criterion of Burnout fame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
The NFS franchise is being split into three - the cops n robbers Hot Pursuit series, the sim Shift series and another more arcadey series.

The guys in charge of the NFS franchise have said that the aim of the Shift series is to gradually move it into Forza/GT territory over a number of years. To expect them to produce a GT/Forza beater out of the box (as some on this thread are expecting) is ridiculous.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 20 Nov 2010, 15:57 (Ref:2793471)   #20
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
People are forgetting that its Slightly Mad Studios that makes the Shift games, which is basically a lot of people from Simbin a few years back. I am confident that Shift 2 will be better, EA were demanding changes to the game before it was released which may have stunted the handling a bit..

Hey, it was better than Grid!
Old 20 Nov 2010, 23:18 (Ref:2793637)   #21
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Shift franchise has the potential to be great with the development team behind it and could eventually be a real challenger to Gran Turismo.

Elsewhere Codemasters racing games are always arcade focused, particularly GRID, while T10 are being forced down the Kinect route which could quite possibly ruin that series.
Old 21 Nov 2010, 10:50 (Ref:2793774)   #22
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
Believe me. Forza has already been ruined. Driving cars has never been so boring..
Old 21 Nov 2010, 21:45 (Ref:2793975)   #23
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1 View Post
Believe me. Forza has already been ruined. Driving cars has never been so boring..
The danger of going off-topic is ever present, so I'll keep this short. I don't know why Forza 3 gets a bad rap. I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with it. The custom paint facility and the storefront alone are brilliant in my view.

As for the NFS series, I've got lost since there seems to be so many! I haven't really played any of the sequels though I played first game to death on the original playstation.
Old 21 Nov 2010, 22:42 (Ref:2794003)   #24
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
Forza can be fantastic. But for me Forza just seems very tame and unexciting when you actually drive the car. Race Pro gives such a great sense of achievement after a good lap. Forza just seems all flat and plasticy, if that makes any sense.
Old 22 Nov 2010, 01:24 (Ref:2794041)   #25
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Think I can relate to what ya mean, I haven't found any of the races after prob 50% of the game complete to be unsatisfying. But I kinda felt that way about Shift, felt like I didn't feel enough of the car to get the joy of that great lap or even having taken a corner better than ever. Think the last track I really felt that on was the street course from the first Forza, tight square corners and some fast and quick flicks left or right.