Postie
Rookie

Wales
Leicester
Postie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Go up in 125, that might do it
Follow this and then set up the way you want the steps to go to finish it off

http://web.onetel.com/~davebrand/Maycomsetup.doc

Last edited by Postie; 19 Apr 2014 at 20:21.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 20:21 (Ref:3395222)   #1377
seanclarke
Rookie

United Kingdom
Sandbach, Cheshire
seanclarke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Postie = genius

Why didn't I think of that ?? - Thanks
Old 21 Apr 2014, 19:59 (Ref:3396379)   #1378
sweetktg
Rookie

United Kingdom
Portsmouth
sweetktg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsportmarshal61 View Post
the baofeng uv 5 is brilliant ive got one paid 29.00 and a larger aerial for 3.99 and a extra bonus a fm radio on the scanner
I have one of these & was using it at WEC this w/e. It was invaluable in helping me keep track of what was going on, and discovered a useful feature. I had the race control frequency set but was listening to Silverstone FM - the useful thing was that if anything came through from race control it would interrupt the FM side so I didn't miss anything
Old 23 Apr 2014, 17:52 (Ref:3397379)   #1379
Matt Gusher
Rookie

England
Leeds
Matt Gusher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I bought an AR109 today which also has a FM tuner.
It'll have it's first outing at Croft on Sunday.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 12:38 (Ref:3397686)   #1380
safetysam
Rookie

safetysam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought Silverstone had gone digital and scanners won't work!
Old 24 Apr 2014, 14:51 (Ref:3397760)   #1381
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by safetysam View Post
I thought Silverstone had gone digital and scanners won't work!
Not yet
Old 24 Apr 2014, 16:18 (Ref:3397787)   #1382
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowspanner View Post
Look at the Baofeng UV-5 on ebay. Can be cheaper (and better) if you don't use the transmit option.
If I'm reading the spec correctly, this is a two way radio - not a scanner.

I'm not sure it's legit to use one without a licence and I'm sure if you are transmitting on the circuit frequency, you're causing all sorts of issues for a great many people.
Old 29 Apr 2014, 08:03 (Ref:3399536)   #1383
sweetktg
Rookie

United Kingdom
Portsmouth
It is a scanner as in it has all the functionality of a scanner, but yes you can also transmit with it (only on selected bands though, some of which you don't need a licence for). Most people who I know that have bought it, as well as those who have reviewed it, have done so for the scanner function as it's a great little scanner, well built, long lasting battery life & cheap - it's just a matter of self control & not using it to transmit, just like not acting upon anything you hear on the scanner.
Old 30 Apr 2014, 07:59 (Ref:3399932)   #1384
Clearways
Rookie

United Kingdom
West London
Clearways should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The various offerings from Baofeng are great cheap transceivers but are not scanners.

Technically, in just the same way as a scanner, they are totally illegal to use in the way we use them. Additionally it is also not technically legal to transmit using them on any frequency without a licence. However the chance of being caught using them on the PMR446 band illegally has been liked to the chance of being caught doing 71mph on the motorway by radio enthusiasts.

If you are going to use it as a listen only radio - being a transceiver it will receive much much better than a scanner - make sure you program it with a TX frequency of zero. If you haven't already done so, the best way of programming these radios is through the use of a Kenwood programming lead, there are many of these available for a few pounds on ebay and the software is a free download.

While the chance of interference with the circuit communications is minimal (unless you have programmed the correct sub audible tone) its still best to have no chance of transmitting as a few clubs don't bother with tones.

So in summary I totally recommended the Baofeng range over scanners but they just need to be programmed correctly.
Old 16 May 2014, 10:52 (Ref:3406898)   #1385
sweetktg
Rookie

United Kingdom
Portsmouth
I few things to note when programming the 5R+
If you use the programming software from Baofeng you can't disable the transmit, BUT you can enable 'BCL' which will stop you from transmitting if a stronger signal is already transmitting on that frequency, you can set the 'TOT' to 15secs which is the max transmission time even if you keep the transmit button pressed longer than that, you can set the transmit power to 'LOW', & you can set the 'Frequency Offset' to their max which if you set this correctly it sets the transmit frequency to outside the range of the transceiver which has the effect of disabling the transmit option without disabling it. None of which are ideal, but combined will minimise the risk of you blocking out the frequency you're listening too.
You're better off using CHIRP to program the 5R & its variants. With Chirp you can do all you can do with the Baofeng s/w & more, but most importantly you can truly disable the transmit option (in channel mode only), although with the 5R you have to do it when you're programming in your channels by setting the 'duplex' option for each channel to 'off' - don't be fooled by the 'TX Enabled' tick boxes as these don't work on the 5R.
I suggest doing all of the above so you're covered under channel & frequency modes, although if you want to truly disable transmit under frequency mode, then the simple fix is to set the VHF & UHF lower limits to a value higher than the upper limits, this though effectively disables frequency mode, as you won't be able to set any frequency to listen to, let alone transmit on!
Old 16 May 2014, 12:55 (Ref:3406924)   #1386
SteveR
Rookie

United Kingdom
SteveR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Be very, very careful using any form of transceiver. With the best will in the world, PTT buttons can get trapped (just ask anyone who uses a radio on a regular basis!), and you can end up transmitting unknowingly. In a lot of places, this may be nothing more than a minor annoyance (unless you are on one of the circuit channels), but you could end up seriously in the mire.

For example, a few years ago, there was a test day for an international race meeting at Donington. All the teams were allowed to use pit to car radios as part of the championship regs. Unfortunately, one of the teams were using radios that were stamping on a channel used at East Midlands Airport. They were not amused, and contacted the Radio Frequency people who descended en masse on the circuit. It took several hours of non-running (and, yes, they do have that authority!) whilst they went through every radio on the circuit. If I remember correctly, the problem team had all their radios seized and were hit with a hefty fine.
Old 16 May 2014, 17:13 (Ref:3406998)   #1387
EmileNaus
Rookie

United Kingdom
EmileNaus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recently got an AR109, used it at Donington last weekend. It worked well, received both Donington FM (trackside announcer) and the racecontrol frequency.
I find the controls a bit fiddly, and the batteries didn't quite make it to the end of the day, but it made a huge difference to the day - especially since we only had 3 on the post and I ended up flagging by myself for the morning.
Old 19 May 2014, 14:21 (Ref:3407875)   #1388
Mike Clark
Rookie

United Kingdom
Mike Clark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My last few visits to Brands have been spent with a Marshal who has an Wouxun KG-679P. His unit picks up ALL the transmissions that come from control/mobile unit's, where as my AR109 seems to get either the whole conversation, one side of the message (normally control), bits of the conversation (cutting in and out), static or complete silence.

My 109 is set to the same channel as other 108/9 users ending in .3375(who also seem to get the same bits of the conversations I do) where as his is set to .335.

I'm guessing I either need a High gain aerial or I need a better device?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Old 19 May 2014, 14:54 (Ref:3407884)   #1389
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Clark View Post

The antenna supplied with the AR109 is, of necessity, a compromise. I use an Icom antenna, part number FA-S57V, which gives much better reception as it's designed to work in the frequency band circuits use. If you can't find that particular one, look for one around 170mm long.
Old 19 May 2014, 19:44 (Ref:3407977)   #1390
EnglishPaddy
Rookie

United Kingdom
Near Dorking, Surrey
EnglishPaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Clark View Post

Does anyone have any ideas?
Sounds to me that your squelch is too strong.

C.
Old 19 May 2014, 22:39 (Ref:3408008)   #1391
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
"The squelch is strong in this one"

Hrm. Possibly not the film reference I was looking for...
Old 19 May 2014, 22:41 (Ref:3408009)   #1392
Mike Clark
Rookie

United Kingdom
Mike Clark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Squelch is as low as it will go without giving me nothing but static.

I'll try a better aerial as suggested

Thanks

Mike
Old 19 May 2014, 22:51 (Ref:3408015)   #1393
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Err... Can I have a sports question?
PabloTeK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The stock antennae on both the UV-5R and the Maycom scanners are as deaf as a post from my experience, so a "better" one will provide some benefit!
Old 15 Jun 2014, 21:40 (Ref:3422296)   #1394
AlBoddy
Rookie

United Kingdom
Basingstoke
AlBoddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scanner radio

Hi all looking for suggestions for a good but cheap scanner does anyone have any ???
Old 16 Jun 2014, 08:27 (Ref:3422430)   #1395
Slipstick
Racer

United Kingdom
N. Staffs
Slipstick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do a forum search on "Scanner", it's been discussed MANY times.

The Maycom AR108 used to be most popular but is now discontinued though you still find them on EBay from time to time. Mine cost about £25 from there though looking today I see some optimist is offering one for £145 .

Steve
Old 16 Jun 2014, 10:12 (Ref:3422501)   #1396
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The most popular question posed on the forum.

One tip if you feel you absolutely have to have one - make sure it runs off AA batteries, because ones that have to be recharged after being loaded into the scanner may not have the storage capacity to last a two day meeting.
Old 16 Jun 2014, 12:16 (Ref:3422577)   #1397
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthportFC Fan View Post
The most popular question posed on the forum.
I'm not sure 'popular' is the word you're looking for there.

Since, as it has been said, there are endless threads on this, I'll close this. All the information already exists with a quick search.

One day I'll merge them altogether into one thread. Actually, a day's probably not enough...
Old 21 Aug 2014, 14:43 (Ref:3446003)   #1398
Tim Neill
Rookie

United Kingdom
Tunbridge Wells
Tim Neill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodwood Revival - scanner frequencies

Yes, I know other threads have discussed this but I can't seem to get a definitive answer anywhere.

Can anyone confirm that Goodwood race control use UHF frequencies around 450MHz?

And is this still analogue transmission, not digital?

Thanks, Tim
Old 21 Aug 2014, 19:00 (Ref:3446053)   #1399
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Neill View Post
Yes, I know other threads have discussed this but I can't seem to get a definitive answer anywhere.

Can anyone confirm that Goodwood race control use UHF frequencies around 450MHz?

And is this still analogue transmission, not digital?

Thanks, Tim
Analogue/Digital Radio?

This is the revival so I suspect in keeping with the period they will maintain the use of semaphore, or possibly wind-up telephonic communication.

None of this Marconi nonsense - it'll never catch on

But don't care.
Old 21 Aug 2014, 20:34 (Ref:3446076)   #1400
AndyT
Racer

England
Peterborough
AndyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepits! View Post
Analogue/Digital Radio?

This is the revival so I suspect in keeping with the period they will maintain the use of semaphore, or possibly wind-up telephonic communication.

None of this Marconi nonsense - it'll never catch on
back to your heyday