Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 19 Mar 2006, 15:11 (Ref:1552768)   #351
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was a terrific race. Great battles in the GT categories. The onboard from Papis' Vette in the final lap as he was harrying the Aston and the fireworks were going off in the distance was pretty cool.
Terrific battle in GT2 as well. Superbly happy to see the Panoz's win. I know Bourdais is no fan-fave but you have to hand it to him, he is quick. Especially happy to see Scott Maxwell in the winning car as well. I have been a fan of his for a while now and he deserves this opportunity to drive a potential championship winning car.
And as much as I like the Penske Porsches I was happy to see the underdogs come through with the win. That Father-Son duo are pretty handy "wheelmen" and it was a real class move to let Liz take the checkered flag.
Finally what can you say about Audi. The R10 may not be perfect now, but if I were a betting man that's where my money would go for lemans.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 19 Mar 2006, 15:58 (Ref:1552801)   #352
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
An enjoyable win, with a fun end with Enge and Papis.
P2s remain fragile, but a stronger class than last year.

The GT2 battle was good. Lots of nice cars.

The R10. Diesel. Next stop Le Mans. Have we learnt much about it? Well that is for the other thread...
Old 19 Mar 2006, 16:21 (Ref:1552816)   #353
Cerbera Speed12
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK
Cerbera Speed12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy-ace
I know Bourdais is no fan-fave but you have to hand it to him, he is quick.
Understatement of the year.
Sadly he makes my blood boil, but yes, he is a natural.
Old 19 Mar 2006, 18:24 (Ref:1552874)   #354
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am a fan of Sebastian . but i was hoping Risi to win it ..

Ciao Marco
Old 20 Mar 2006, 04:46 (Ref:1553361)   #355
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion
I doubt the R10 would have won if they were up against reliable + fast competition: Audi R8 would have won because it can be driven extremely hard during 12 hours. The hybrid Creation, Pescarolo, Dome and Courage (on decent tyres) could have potentially beaten the R10 as well.

The new Dyson Lola was just too new and the Porsche too unreliable.

Audi really needs to improve before they can go to Le Mans. The reliability of the engine (cooling) needs to improve and I am not convinced the Michelin tyres were consistent when double stinted (I suspect tripple stints during the night will prove challenging for the Michelin engineers).
Watching the Motors coverage that really struck me. Sure the R10s a fast car right out of the box and has enormous potential, but against a well sorted hybrid I wouldn't be too up on Ingolstadt's prospects, all things remaining equal (and yes, I know that's a dangerous assumption...). Looking at how it shaped up against last year in the LMES the LMP1s tended to beat the lead LMP2 by somewhere between 7-10 laps - for the Intersport Lola (which, while very fast is it that much quicker than an RML or Chamberlain example from last year?) to keep that close to the R10 through Sebring gives me a bit of hope. What would have happened had Henri Pescarolo chosen to bring his hybrid to Florida, or indeed had someone in the ALMS bought one of the Zyteks that were going abegging? Complete counterfactual I know, but fun nonetheless...
Old 20 Mar 2006, 06:28 (Ref:1553383)   #356
GT-Eins
Veteran

Germany
Hannover, Germany
GT-Eins should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT-Eins should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
These Hybrid Zyteks & Pescarolos are now further restricted - so the competition has yet to be proved.
Le mans will show - we will have to wait until then
Old 20 Mar 2006, 06:44 (Ref:1553388)   #357
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hybrids run the same power/weight/aero as a full reg car such as the Audi R10.

ALMS non hybrid cars, such as the Audi R8 and ex Dyson Lola's, have been further restricted.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 12:47 (Ref:1554202)   #358
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Can you imagine what would have happened if Field had t-boned Biela when he came around the corner ..... Corvette would have one !!!

Im delightrd for Intersport , if anybody deserves a rusult like that , they do . Hope they can run like that Le Mans in June .

What happened in the Spyker camp ?

But plainly , something has to be done to even up petrol V's diesel cars .

That 430 was brutal straight from the box , excellant machine . Who built this car for Ferrari or is it an inhouse project ?

I wanted to see Aston win , but at the end of the day Corvette did really deserve it .

Gt2 was a great fight all the way , nice to see Porsche not having it all their own way for a change , but i do feel gutted for Petersen .

Those Spyder RS are way to quick for LMP2 ..... guess porsche has "out thought" the rest of'em again !!!
Old 20 Mar 2006, 12:55 (Ref:1554208)   #359
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
430GT i belive it's a Michelotti build for Ferrari .

Ciao Marco
Old 20 Mar 2006, 14:55 (Ref:1554626)   #360
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Spyker will look better in Europe; the bumpiness of Sebring is an extreme example of what North American race cars deal with everywhere, especially compared to the Tilke-stuff you folks in Europe have.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 20 Mar 2006, 19:01 (Ref:1555120)   #361
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Those Spyder RS are way to quick for LMP2 ..... guess porsche has "out thought" the rest of'em again !!!
I just can't agree with this statement. There is no proof at this time, that the RS is any quicker than the Lola.

There is proof that the Penske Team is quicker than Intersport, et al, but I have to wonder how much of that is due to higher level Team engineering, Michelin's vs. Goodyear's, driver's talent in both speed and setup.

To make conclusions based upon the performance at one track would also be a mistake, even assuming all else being equal.

It is a pretty darned impressive car, that much is for certain.

Amazingly, more LMP2 cars made it to the finish than LMP1's.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 20:18 (Ref:1555188)   #362
canam
Veteran

canam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
Amazingly, more LMP2 cars made it to the finish than LMP1's.
LMP2 has been in transition over the past few years. Teams (and manufacturers) have greater understanding of them now. LMP1 is doing it now. Give it a year and the heavier cars will resume their better historical finishing record.

This outcome is a great result and shows the impact of the LMS/LMES on re-vitalising the prototye ranks.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 21:47 (Ref:1555272)   #363
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Can you imagine what would have happened if Field had t-boned Biela when he came around the corner ..... Corvette would have one !!!

To the first: no, the #2 of Kristensen, Capello and McNish still would've won!

To the 2nd: I say this is utter rubbish. Show me another LMP1 car that's actually been developed to the point where its reliability and pace are at their ultimate level, broadly speaking. Yes, all cars are always gaining pace throughout their development but it is clear that the Dyson Lolas were not at their best at Sebring pace or reliability-wise. You have no other benchmarks from which to make this claim.

To the 3rd: How would you defend this given the relative proximity of Intersport on pace when not using the same quality of tire or budget (as pointed out already)? Michelin is almost certainly superior to Goodyear, Penske can almost certainly screw a car together better (with no offence to Intersport, very few people can) and while Jon Field is rapid, find me a better crew of 6 drivers than Luhr, Maassen, Collard, Long, Bernhard and Dumas. Put, say, Rahal-Letterman behind a Lola B05/40-AER and then compare apples to apples.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 21:57 (Ref:1555276)   #364
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
[QUOTE=The Badger]

[QUOTE]

A little early to make such predictions seeing as the Audi R10 was the only new reg LMP1 that was sorted.

Come back mid season, maybe even the next ALMS round, to see what a few weeks development can do for Dyson.
Old 21 Mar 2006, 03:24 (Ref:1555437)   #365
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Actually its REALLY too early to say alot, but for the Audi being a soild techical achivement. America has to be SHOWN that Diesel power is the wave of the future and I'm glad Audi, had the balls to do this. It could have been CAT, Detroit Diesel or Cummings, but they rather install there stuff in trucks and not see further fortunes by messing with racing cars.

Stupid if you ask me.

As for the competition on the track -

Intersport has shown they are not scared of the Porsche factory, nor should they be. Surely, Penske, et all has raised the bar, but not so high that Intersport can't compete and I'm sure they'll draft a 4th driver into the car and get more track time for Liz in perperation for Le Mans. They both qualifed within range of the Audi R10, people have short memories in sportscar racing.

Speaking of the Audi, it will only get faster with more testing and now that they have the data they need, the car will finish Le Mans at a pace they can live with. Your forgetting with all that torque, comes less shifting, saves the transmission. The cooling issues will be solved by the time the green drops on Le Mans.

Too bad Dyson isn't again planning to bring his cars over to Le Mans. But that extra time will be spent sorting out the new cars more and they'll be ready for Audi when they return.

GT1 will be good ONLY if Aston returns for a full season, which David Richards said at the end of last season would happen. Konrad will step up his game, Im sure they were a bit conservative considering all their spare parts where caught up in customs in Brasil. They'll be loaded for bear in the shorter races... Corvette will be ready as well, so it should turn out to be a better season that first thought.

GT2 is just starting to get serious and I'm glad the Ferrari for ONCE is fast and reliable out of the box. Wheel Nut problems not withstanding, it was the only car that could keep pace with the Multimatic ran Panoz, which proved the only area the car was lacking was setup. We can't have Seabass all season and I'm glad Maxwell was lapping the inline with everybody else in the #50. The #51 will show flashes like it did last season. Porsche will fight back and as usual GT2 will have the best race all season at every venue.

Overall, ALMS is shaping up well...
Old 21 Mar 2006, 13:12 (Ref:1555734)   #366
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
I just can't agree with this statement. There is no proof at this time, that the RS is any quicker than the Lola.

There is proof that the Penske Team is quicker than Intersport, et al, but I have to wonder how much of that is due to higher level Team engineering, Michelin's vs. Goodyear's, driver's talent in both speed and setup.

To make conclusions based upon the performance at one track would also be a mistake, even assuming all else being equal.
That crossed my mind too . Having 3 hot shots in a car goes a long way indeed as does a special tyre deal . Lets wait and see , maybe next year there might be a couple of privateer Spyder RS around , hope so ! But i still have that feeling that Porsche have done it better that anybody else , in LMP2 .
Old 21 Mar 2006, 16:20 (Ref:1555831)   #367
LongJohnSilver
Rookie

LongJohnSilver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at Sebring from Wednesday morning until Sunday morning. As always, a fantastic experience at a great track. Spectators are very close to the action.

I was wondering if anyone can identify something I spotted in my photos of the Astons. It was on both cars. Im pretty sure it was on them in practice and qualifying but not in the race. It looks to be a thin but stiff wire extending 3 feet or so vertically from the hood vents, then bending straight forward for a few inches.

Heres a section of one of my photos that shows it:
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/220/astonpole1hl.jpg

Thanks
Old 21 Mar 2006, 17:16 (Ref:1555866)   #368
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Isn't it a pitot tube or something? The (also run by Prodrive) Ferrari 550/575 cars also had them.
Old 21 Mar 2006, 18:39 (Ref:1555925)   #369
Audi R8R
Racer

Audi R8R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's for collecting real time telemetry back to the pits
Old 21 Mar 2006, 21:02 (Ref:1556083)   #370
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
That crossed my mind too . Having 3 hot shots in a car goes a long way indeed as does a special tyre deal . Lets wait and see , maybe next year there might be a couple of privateer Spyder RS around , hope so ! But i still have that feeling that Porsche have done it better that anybody else , in LMP2 .
Will be amusing if Radical, after viewing the competition and having a Le Mans winning designer on board, come out with a pacesetter!

And with Rollcentre running some P1 spec components for reliabilty issues, they should be strong in that department.
Old 21 Mar 2006, 21:04 (Ref:1556085)   #371
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Will be amusing if Radical, after viewing the competition and having a Le Mans winning designer on board, come out with a pacesetter!
Would be amusing if it were to happen yes, thats a very big if though isnt it.
Old 21 Mar 2006, 21:10 (Ref:1556093)   #372
JAG
Veteran

England
Don't know, I'd put Rollcentre down as favourites for P2 in the LMS.

Just get good vibes from this effort.
Old 23 Mar 2006, 04:46 (Ref:1558018)   #373
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been watching Motors TV coverage of the race and just want to say how much I enjoyed Martin's commentary. Very entertaining. I didn't realise what a good commentator and funny bloke he was - I had only heard him in WRC and FIA GT coverage before and this was "very very good indeed" as his pal might say. I don't know what was different - maybe its just a matter of getting used to his style, or maybe that this time it was a bit more informal.

I'd previously said the opposite in another post last year but I admit I was wrong.

Thanks Martin!
Old 16 Jun 2006, 12:52 (Ref:1635795)   #374
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
What's the title of the book about Norbert Singer?
24:16

You can order the book at http://www.24hours16wins.com/.
Old 16 Jun 2006, 14:32 (Ref:1635852)   #375
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion
24:16

You can order the book at http://www.24hours16wins.com/.
Thanks.
I put it on my to-buy book list.