Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 9 May 2017, 07:20 (Ref:3732404)   #201
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Did I hear right that after Thruxton there will be a round of "performance balancing" taking place?
It happened before Thruxton.
Old 9 May 2017, 07:24 (Ref:3732406)   #202
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
It happened before Thruxton.
Well, it didn't seem to make much difference to the Motorbase cars or the Subaru's performance. (Don't forget that Ash Sutton was up near the sharp end at the previous meeting).
Old 9 May 2017, 09:26 (Ref:3732428)   #203
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBoy View Post
It's the same Mountune EcoBoost Ford. AMD ran that car with the original Mountune engine, Maximum stated they were updating to the newer EcoBoost when they bought the car in early 2016.
That blows my theory out of the water then! I'd expect Cook to be ahead of Depper and Davenport but I'd have thought Jackson would have at least been level with Cook given the same equipment.
Old 9 May 2017, 10:19 (Ref:3732435)   #204
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Last post from me tonight...

I have been speculating about BMR/888 being in financial mire. Having done a little research I now know 888 came very close to being dissolved this March and Ian Harrison is no longer a Director. Last accounts (March 2016) show shareholders funds at - 700,000 (yes, minus) so quite a debt... guess that explains why there has been little testing.
Very interesting indeed. The only directors are the Scotts. It's sad, but the team has been on the decline since the end of the vauxhall works deal. I read a rumour elsewhere suggesting that Plato's issue is with the team and not toca, and is performing like he is as a result!
Old 9 May 2017, 10:43 (Ref:3732441)   #205
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

I have been speculating about BMR/888 being in financial mire. Having done a little research I now know 888 came very close to being dissolved this March and Ian Harrison is no longer a Director. Last accounts (March 2016) show shareholders funds at - 700,000 (yes, minus) so quite a debt... guess that explains why there has been little testing.
At the same time, the last accounts filed for BMR Racing show a shareholders fund of -2million

The outstanding creditors figure accounts for over 3million.
Old 9 May 2017, 11:00 (Ref:3732444)   #206
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
I read a rumour elsewhere suggesting that Plato's issue is with the team and not toca, and is performing like he is as a result!
If he is genuinely performing below par as a deliberate act - that seems like a very public 'toys out the pram' situation and something that would surely raise concerns amongst other teams.

Maybe he has lost all motivation, and now is just content to run at the back for a while until the deal(s) with sponsors expire?

It does seem like a big downward change in opinion from his blog posts:

'I’m very confident. The plan is to blow everybody’s doors off. We will without doubt have a brilliant chance of winning the championship this year'

'the new settings we’ve had to run have thrown a spanner in the works for the time being'

'We won’t know how well we’re going to go and what our true performance is until we get to Donington'

'the car’s not working as well, or as balanced, as it used to'

'The centre of gravity regulations imposed only on Subaru has brought us many negatives and we are still discovering new negatives every single day'

He does continue to praise the team's work in his posts though so doesn't appear to be publicly raising his concerns - yet.
Old 9 May 2017, 11:27 (Ref:3732450)   #207
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
850Estate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
If he is genuinely performing below par as a deliberate act - that seems like a very public 'toys out the pram' situation and something that would surely raise concerns amongst other teams.

Maybe he has lost all motivation, and now is just content to run at the back for a while until the deal(s) with sponsors expire?

It does seem like a big downward change in opinion from his blog posts:

'I’m very confident. The plan is to blow everybody’s doors off. We will without doubt have a brilliant chance of winning the championship this year'

'the new settings we’ve had to run have thrown a spanner in the works for the time being'

'We won’t know how well we’re going to go and what our true performance is until we get to Donington'

'the car’s not working as well, or as balanced, as it used to'

'The centre of gravity regulations imposed only on Subaru has brought us many negatives and we are still discovering new negatives every single day'

He does continue to praise the team's work in his posts though so doesn't appear to be publicly raising his concerns - yet.
I'd be amazed if Plato wasn't giving it his all. He's just about the most competitive guy in the world, surely he couldn't sit in that car and not feel the need to wring its neck...

However, the more I think about it, the more it seems feasible. He's not been right this season, his body language, the car's body language, his results, retirements, pit stops, everything.

I get the feeling there is an awful lot going on behind the scenes at BMR/888 that we don't know about, and I get the feeling that little of it is good. Financial problems, team relationship issues, car problems, whatever. I'm not sure. Judging by the comments made by guys like Harvey and O'Neill on TV though, there's definitely a lot more to this than meets the eye.
Old 9 May 2017, 12:02 (Ref:3732457)   #208
Northern Monkey
Racer

Northern Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the record, on Church - Thruxton have already invested £250,000 in hardcore just to build up the run-off to where it is now and there is a lot more work to do before it is completed. I spoke with Bill at length on Sunday evening about it and will have something published later in the week.
Old 9 May 2017, 12:34 (Ref:3732461)   #209
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
At the same time, the last accounts filed for BMR Racing show a shareholders fund of -2million

The outstanding creditors figure accounts for over 3million.
Subaru UK also had a charge put on the cars in August last year (and the data).Making Subaru the 'lender' and BMR the 'borrower'.
Old 9 May 2017, 12:38 (Ref:3732462)   #210
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
For the record, on Church - Thruxton have already invested £250,000 in hardcore just to build up the run-off to where it is now and there is a lot more work to do before it is completed. I spoke with Bill at length on Sunday evening about it and will have something published later in the week.
Yep and I can quite see how Bill and Thruxton feel about the reaction to the change and the fact that another sizeable accident occured there and that it caused a long stoppage to repair. Circuit safety is a moving feast as the cars and racing develop and Thruxton is pretty much on the limit of the site there.

When JP went almost over the hedge there in the MG, wasn't it said that he probably needed a ticket to get back in!
Old 9 May 2017, 13:26 (Ref:3732476)   #211
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gee whizz. This is depressing reading. I really hope Triple Eight and BMR can sort things out. Warren Scott invested time and money to make things work and I hope they can pull it off.

On the one hand, the series is doing great without JP at the front, as in the racing is exciting and competition close. But on the other hand, he's the man that has brought a great deal to the series in terms of publicity and sponsorship/car deals. For the BTCC's sake, let's see him on the podium at Oulton.
Old 9 May 2017, 13:29 (Ref:3732477)   #212
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Old news mate 888 uk effectively went under last year
Old 9 May 2017, 13:31 (Ref:3732478)   #213
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Subaru UK also had a charge put on the cars in August last year (and the data).Making Subaru the 'lender' and BMR the 'borrower'.
Clever accounting or another Motorsport time bomb ticking? ....
Old 9 May 2017, 13:36 (Ref:3732479)   #214
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
let's all be very glad that Colin Turkington left that madhouse
Old 9 May 2017, 13:46 (Ref:3732482)   #215
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by 850Estate View Post
I'd be amazed if Plato wasn't giving it his all. He's just about the most competitive guy in the world, surely he couldn't sit in that car and not feel the need to wring its neck...

However, the more I think about it, the more it seems feasible. He's not been right this season, his body language, the car's body language, his results, retirements, pit stops, everything.

I get the feeling there is an awful lot going on behind the scenes at BMR/888 that we don't know about, and I get the feeling that little of it is good. Financial problems, team relationship issues, car problems, whatever. I'm not sure. Judging by the comments made by guys like Harvey and O'Neill on TV though, there's definitely a lot more to this than meets the eye.
I too would be very surprised if Plato is not at least starting each session on maximum attack.
I also feel though that whatever is wrong - and something clearly is - it will be more than just one thing.

Is the car too tricky to set up for all four drivers?
'by only making small adjustments. The closer we get to the top, the more we can see the Levorg is a fine precise little bit of kit' becomes 'we are still discovering new negatives every single day, lifting the car affects so many other things and nobody really knows'

Is there a lack of budget appearing? The limited testing and current filed accounts may be an indication of this.

Is it a team management situation? The overhaul of 888 structure alongside the expanded BMR disciplines must be a managerial conundrum. Also, Scott has said watching the team has given him a different perspective to when he was a driver.

Is it a clash with Menu? He is currently coaching with BMR, and Sutton seems to be responding well to this. Could he be pushing the team in a different direction to Plato's preference?

When it all becomes clear (if it ever does) I wouldn't be surprised if all of those factors and more are playing a part in the situation.
Old 9 May 2017, 13:49 (Ref:3732483)   #216
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post
On the one hand, the series is doing great without JP at the front, as in the racing is exciting and competition close.
I think this only adds to the problem for BMR/Plato.

The series is doing great without Plato or Subaru winning races, and everyone knows that Plato won't be around forever.
So whilst his star might be fading - there will be little/no incentive for the championship to do anything to keep them competitive.
Old 9 May 2017, 14:23 (Ref:3732485)   #217
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Clever accounting or another Motorsport time bomb ticking? ....
I think most teams run on a financial knife edge to be honest, it is the nature of the beast - high costs, often uncertain income, quite risky revenue streams from drivers and or sponsors that may not pay and then the winter to get through. Unless you are very lucky it is a hand to mouth business and one bad year can wipe out several good ones.

The old adage about how to make a small fortune in motorsport- start with a large one - still holds true.
Old 9 May 2017, 14:37 (Ref:3732486)   #218
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
I think most teams run on a financial knife edge to be honest, it is the nature of the beast - high costs, often uncertain income, quite risky revenue streams from drivers and or sponsors that may not pay and then the winter to get through. Unless you are very lucky it is a hand to mouth business and one bad year can wipe out several good ones.

The old adage about how to make a small fortune in motorsport- start with a large one - still holds true.
That has been evident in the past from other teams.

Examples I can think of are:
Team Dynamics' driver line-up in '09
Turkington not getting a drive in after his title in '09
Motorbase withdrawing for part of the season in '15

All of these seem to have come from teams cutting their coat according to the cloth.
Tony Gilham has faced criticism in the past for being too ambitious with his entries.
I fear that Warren Scott's coat might be too big, and there's not enough cloth to see it through to completion.
Old 9 May 2017, 14:47 (Ref:3732488)   #219
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
d criticism in the past for being too ambitious with his entries.
I fear that Warren Scott's coat might be too big, and there's not enough cloth to see it through to completion.
he could just sell 2 TBL and accordingly reduce the number of cars for next season
Old 9 May 2017, 15:27 (Ref:3732490)   #220
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
he could just sell 2 TBL and accordingly reduce the number of cars for next season
If Subaru are invested in a 4-car entry, and there are reducing MG chassis', then could 888 become the junior team?
Old 9 May 2017, 16:05 (Ref:3732499)   #221
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:
If Subaru are invested in a 4-car entry, and there are reducing MG chassis', then could 888 become the junior team?
I believe that MG signed to stay in the BTCC until 2018? Quite why is a mystery as the MG6 is no longer sold, the current NGTC cars are old and battled scarred, I doubt any new ones will be built and in any event MG's focus is on SUV's and the MG3 'city' car.
Old 9 May 2017, 16:35 (Ref:3732503)   #222
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think Colin has been the big winner out of this, leaving the team just before it becomes a backmarker. Although I do feel a bit sorry for Warren Scott, as he has been able to put his dosh where he wants to and got pretty good return out of it
Old 9 May 2017, 18:42 (Ref:3732524)   #223
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
I believe that MG signed to stay in the BTCC until 2018? Quite why is a mystery as the MG6 is no longer sold, the current NGTC cars are old and battled scarred, I doubt any new ones will be built and in any event MG's focus is on SUV's and the MG3 'city' car.
They did, but does the 888 they signed with still exist?
The Subaru deal expires in 2018 too, so BMR have 18 months to decide their long-term plans.
Is it more likely to see a 3+1 entry if contractually obliged?
The academy drive being run as 888/MG for 2018?
Old 9 May 2017, 18:49 (Ref:3732525)   #224
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Have just read Warren Scott's post-meeting comments. He puts it down to a lack of straight line speed, and also emphasises the open house for engineering data.
Plato seems to think the car isn't handling well, as a result of the CoG adjustments, but Sutton and Scott claim it is still the best car in the corners.

Unfortunately, the choice of Estate car may be the problem here - good through the corners, but with equal power to others, slower in a straight line than a hatch/saloon.
Old 9 May 2017, 19:32 (Ref:3732533)   #225
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The discrepancies between Sutton and the rest are baffling. Oulton will be a true representation of Plato, as its where we saw the car turn a huge corner last year and the first circuit they have data on from when they were genuinely competitive.