Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 27 Dec 2001, 03:00 (Ref:189800)   #1
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What game should I buy???

Much to my disgust I have discovered my xmas present from mum and dad, GP3, is incompatible with my brand new graphics card

So, I am looking for a good up to date racing game (PC only) to replace it. What should I get? F1 2001? Rally Trophy? NASCAR 4? NASCAR Heat 2? The latest Need for Speed? Superbike 2001?

I'd like your opinions please...oh and I already have Colin McRae Rally 2.0, so no need to mention that one

Thanks
Old 27 Dec 2001, 08:22 (Ref:189828)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm surprised GP3 won't work with a new graphics card? What have you got? Presumably if it's new the drivers are up to date?

Find your way to the bargain bins and pick up Sports Car GT and Grand Prix Legends. Those are the only games I would suggest in addition to GP3.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 27 Dec 2001 at 08:23.
Old 27 Dec 2001, 20:39 (Ref:190091)   #3
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Kyro II graphics cards are not compatible with GP3. Apparently GP3 uses some awfully coded rendering and is the only game that the card doesn't support. Too bad I spent $1200 on an upgrade mainly to play GP3 Drivers are up to date, it's GP3 2000, updated BIOS, Win98, but it runs terribly - I mean Processor Occupancy of close to 900%!!!

On the topic of good racing sims, I won't be getting GPL, simply because I don't have a steering wheel, and I have heard that, if you don't have one, forget it.

Sports Car GT, yes that's a nice game too, but I already have it.

I have heard a lot of good things (and not so good things...) about F1 2001 - and also I'm considering Nascar 4 - I think I will get F1 2001, because racing around in circles is boring
Old 28 Dec 2001, 17:56 (Ref:190496)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I must admit I bought my wheel specifically to play GPL, but I couldn't do without it now. I can't imagine playing any racing game without a wheel?
Old 28 Dec 2001, 22:21 (Ref:190696)   #5
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
I can't imagine playing any racing game without a wheel?
It's not preferable, but it's OK. Obviously realism levels are WAY lower, but you can still have fun if you pretend the keyboard is a wheel
Old 29 Dec 2001, 10:23 (Ref:190860)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
An interesting concept......
Old 29 Dec 2001, 13:30 (Ref:191005)   #7
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't buy anything, download GP1 for free, who cares about graphics!
Old 30 Dec 2001, 02:53 (Ref:191346)   #8
FastJoel31
Veteran

United States
Near Watkins Glen
FastJoel31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm considering F1 2001 myself-buy that one. The newest Need for Speed game is Porsche Unleashed, but there is another one called Motor City Online, which is supposedly NFS 6. I haven't played it, but I think it deals with the American muscle cars of the 60's and 70's.
Old 30 Dec 2001, 15:09 (Ref:191501)   #9
Herminator
Racer

Herminator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motor City Online had a big beta test before it was released and generaly people found it not worth the money. It is the newest Need for Speed engine that was used and very nice it looked but the rest of the game let it down. Online play was very laggy with only a few players and after you had built up a car you got bored quickly. The tracks were really dull too, and car choice was terrible for beginners. There were auctions for the better parts and if you wanted a really good part you had to pay far too much, basicly the economy was terrible. It is a totaly online game and EA decided that everyone had to buy the game for £30 then pay $10 a month just to continue playing it . I don't know how the game is geting on now but I doubt it is worthwhile.
Old 2 Jan 2002, 00:37 (Ref:192504)   #10
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
F1 2001 is very, very good - top class - when you first install it, hell it's rubbish, but after tweaking just a few minor options you get a very playable game, with the most beautiful graphics I have ever seen in a racing game. 10/10
Old 3 Jan 2002, 08:55 (Ref:193112)   #11
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
GP2 is still very good and so is TOCA 2.
Old 3 Jan 2002, 18:34 (Ref:193365)   #12
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ

It's not preferable, but it's OK. Obviously realism levels are WAY lower, but you can still have fun if you pretend the keyboard is a wheel
using the keyboard as a steering wheel would probably end in tears and a broken keyboard i should imagine!!!
Old 4 Jan 2002, 11:26 (Ref:193710)   #13
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Number Juan, using a keyboard isn't too bad actually. In fact, I find it easier then the dreadful Mad Catz wheel I had for my old Playstation. But admittadly, PC wheels these days are far better - but I'll still stick to the keyboard and save some money, for now at least.
Old 4 Jan 2002, 22:34 (Ref:194076)   #14
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anyone tried making their own steering wheel?