Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Dec 2020, 11:58 (Ref:4021324)   #401
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He will break out of it next year perhaps.
Old 7 Dec 2020, 12:24 (Ref:4021328)   #402
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
But still a whole lot better than all those guys doing the laps without ever winning one.

......or win one without ever having led a complete lap like Peter Gethin at Monza in 1971 or 1972. Probably the most thrilling race ever.
Old 7 Dec 2020, 14:38 (Ref:4021354)   #403
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
......or win one without ever having led a complete lap like Peter Gethin at Monza in 1971 or 1972. Probably the most thrilling race ever.

1971. And yes it was so good, they put chicanes the next year so spectators didn’t die of overexcitement
Old 8 Dec 2020, 00:32 (Ref:4021496)   #404
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
[...]

Russell obviously, Sainz had a poorly timed pitstop during the VSC, Ocon was right there as well. Stroll even.

But Perez got it. Unless he gets another drive, might go down as the all time one hit wonder champ?
May I just interject saying that Sainz's pitstop, VSC and all of that made no difference as far as Perez vs. the rest of the midfiled battle is concerned. Perez was always going to be the next car behind the Mercs. I kept an eye on him after the early incident and he was unstoppable. Just a few laps before the 1st round pitstops he was within a pitstop of Russel, and only about 10-12 seconds behind Sainz. So Perez gained half a pitstop or more against the midfield in less than a stint... while overtaking backmarkers. From that point on only the Mercs could beat him.

It's one of those occasions where you're left wondering if it's the car (+weak team mate), the driver or the combination of both yielding more than the sum of its parts.

It's such a shame that the only available seat for 2021 is in a snake pit... and against the snake charmer.
Old 8 Dec 2020, 01:00 (Ref:4021498)   #405
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The way Checo just pulled away from everyone on the restart showed he really had the pace to win should the Mercs trip up, which they did
Old 9 Dec 2020, 18:48 (Ref:4021802)   #406
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Incidentally, the top three drivers in history in terms of number of races before and including their first win are:

1. Sergio Pérez - 190
2. Mark Webber - 130
3. Rubens Barrichello - 123 (haven't checked if this includes his DNS in Imola 1994).

In terms of most races without a win, including those who achieved it and those who didn't, Pérez is second on the all-time list behind Andrea de Cesaris (214 entries) and in front of Nick Heidfeld (185 entries).
Old 12 Dec 2020, 20:26 (Ref:4022436)   #407
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
According to (German) RTL Television, Sergio Perez also has another record:
The first driver in F1 history to win a race after being scored last (of the runners) after the first lap.
Old 12 Dec 2020, 23:23 (Ref:4022478)   #408
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
According to (German) RTL Television, Sergio Perez also has another record:
The first driver in F1 history to win a race after being scored last (of the runners) after the first lap.

I seem to remember John Watson starting from the very back at Long Beach and winning in about 1981 or 82 and was Jenson Button last in Canada about 10 years ago before going on to win. I stand to be corrected on both counts.
Old 12 Dec 2020, 23:30 (Ref:4022480)   #409
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
I seem to remember John Watson starting from the very back at Long Beach and winning in about 1981 or 82 and was Jenson Button last in Canada about 10 years ago before going on to win. I stand to be corrected on both counts.
Watson at Long Beach was in 1983. He started 22nd (of 26) and was 20th after lap 1.
I believe that is the record for the lowest grid position to race win.

Button won in Canada in 2011. He started 7th, was 7th after lap 1 and fell to the back (21st) on lap 37 and won from there.

Remarkable comebacks both, but not dead last on lap 1
Old 12 Dec 2020, 23:42 (Ref:4022483)   #410
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is impressive. A fantastic drive.

But I don’t think it is really a different feat to Button’s. In theory not quite as good, I suppose.

I wonder if anyone will ever win after being last on lap 17, or 26?

How many people have won after being last at some point in the race? Is it just Perez and Button?
Old 13 Dec 2020, 03:57 (Ref:4022505)   #411
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
It is impressive. A fantastic drive.

But I don’t think it is really a different feat to Button’s. In theory not quite as good, I suppose.

I wonder if anyone will ever win after being last on lap 17, or 26?

How many people have won after being last at some point in the race? Is it just Perez and Button?
Lewis has to have, surely?
Old 13 Dec 2020, 05:21 (Ref:4022513)   #412
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He’s had some good comebacks, but I don’t remember one from last position.
Old 13 Dec 2020, 06:00 (Ref:4022517)   #413
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
The best I could find after a brief search are:

John Watson 22 - 1 1983 US GP West
Niki Lauda 23 - 2 1983 US GP West
Lewis Hamilton 21 - 3 2016 Belgian GP.
Sergio Perez (Spin)Last - 1st Sakhir 2020
George Russell Last to Oh so nearly twice Sakhir 2020

There was another race that Lewis ran really hard, one of the Brazilian GPs?
I thought he started in the pit lane and finished 2 ??

Last edited by wnut; 13 Dec 2020 at 06:12.
Old 13 Dec 2020, 10:56 (Ref:4022553)   #414
S griffin
Veteran

I know Montoya finished second after starting last (20th) in the 2005 German GP, which at the time was a first, although Our Nige finished second in the 89 French GP after starting from the restart from the pit lane. Not sure if anyone has repeated the feat since

BTW Lewis did start at the back at the 2017 Brazilian GP, after a crash in Quali, but only finished fourth
Old 15 Dec 2020, 15:19 (Ref:4023079)   #415
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I know Montoya finished second after starting last (20th) in the 2005 German GP, which at the time was a first, although Our Nige finished second in the 89 French GP after starting from the restart from the pit lane. Not sure if anyone has repeated the feat since

BTW Lewis did start at the back at the 2017 Brazilian GP, after a crash in Quali, but only finished fourth
I think Gilles did at least one race where he had to come back through from the rear after some problem. I think it was last to 4th in Belgium 79 maybe?

Watson's Long Beach '83 drive was mentioned by wnut but didn't he do a similar 'steer from the rear' in '82?

Surely Ayrton must have gone from the back to win or at least a podium too?
Old 15 Dec 2020, 16:05 (Ref:4023097)   #416
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
not from the back but pretty close to it.

2005 Japanese GP - one of my favorite races and nights out! we made the bar stay open so we could watch the finish.

Kimi started 17th and finished 1st including a last lap pass for the top step and Alonso went from 16th to 3rd.

also Alonso passed Schumi at 130R...on the outside!
Old 15 Dec 2020, 18:13 (Ref:4023116)   #417
Mister_T_Head
Rookie

Mister_T_Head should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMister_T_Head should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
" Drivers who won a GP, but never anymore than one." Jean Alesi
Old 16 Dec 2020, 11:29 (Ref:4023223)   #418
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I think Gilles did at least one race where he had to come back through from the rear after some problem. I think it was last to 4th in Belgium 79 maybe?

Watson's Long Beach '83 drive was mentioned by wnut but didn't he do a similar 'steer from the rear' in '82?

Surely Ayrton must have gone from the back to win or at least a podium too?

Villeneuve I think got as high as third, but ran out of fuel on the last lap

Yes, Watson won in Detroit in 82 after starting 17th. Clive James on the review video came up with a different phrase each time he came from behind. Top gear from the rear. Grind from behind. Burn from the stern. Attack from the back.

The only time I can think of that Senna came from far behind to win, was the 88 Japanese GP, when he stalled at the start and dropped down as far back as 14th IIRC. He went on to win the race and the title that year
Old 6 Jun 2021, 14:47 (Ref:4054942)   #419
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Strike Perez off he list.
Old 6 Jun 2021, 17:37 (Ref:4054971)   #420
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm glad he wasn't stuck on this list for long!
Old 7 Jun 2021, 12:07 (Ref:4055101)   #421
S griffin
Veteran

Even if it required luck, Checo deserved his second GP win. He’s worthy of that seat
Old 7 Jun 2021, 22:21 (Ref:4055231)   #422
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
chuckle, it never ceases to surprise me when I forget about this thread and then see a notice in my email from it BEFORE seeing the race!

I have to admit that I figured it must have been Sainz, but then he locked up and had to reverse out of the runoff area, so I didnt think it was him anymore....then thought, well maybe Russel pulled off a weird one stopper or something, but then he wasnt in it....so it only was at the end that I realized it must have been a "X driver no longer on the list" mention.

howdy old timers btw
Old 8 Jun 2021, 00:30 (Ref:4055238)   #423
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Howdy
Old 8 Jun 2021, 00:37 (Ref:4055242)   #424
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
21 fricken years later!

and I get a kick out of still being notified of this thread, its a real laugh--and a guessing game that is kinda fun too.
Old 8 Jun 2021, 08:48 (Ref:4055262)   #425
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Should we have a car version of this thread?