Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 2 Oct 2005, 18:45 (Ref:1422169)   #1
Old Ropey
Racer

Old Ropey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Club Sports Car Championships

We are thinking of changing from single seaters to some form of sports car, probably bike engined, but not Radical. The question is where could one race.
The Darlington club's Sports Racing championship seems to have died off from lack of interest, which is a great shame since it's our part of the world and they run good meetings.
Castle Combe is a long way for us and there must be some sort of question mark over the circuit.
What else is there? can anyone help.
Old 2 Oct 2005, 19:21 (Ref:1422189)   #2
snetmarshal
Racer

snetmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
750mc run a championship for bike engined kit cars, might be worth enquiring with them
Old 2 Oct 2005, 20:03 (Ref:1422223)   #3
TomS
Racer

TomS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sports 2000...not bike engined though but otherwise full grids good racing etc and quite a choice over classes
Global GT Lights...bike engines
Clubmans Championships....either the Classic Clubmans or K Sports (or whatever it may be called now) for Mallocks etc...but not bike engined
Old 2 Oct 2005, 21:03 (Ref:1422263)   #4
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The best pace would be the 750MC Bikesports series - this is different to that for Bike-engined Kit Cars (RGB). A great variety of cars in there including, yes, Radicals. Take a look at www.750mc.co.uk - look at the regs, and also the results for a flavour of the kind of cars that have been competing in it this season.
Old 2 Oct 2005, 21:24 (Ref:1422277)   #5
Speedy5
Rookie

Speedy5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have a look at the 750 Formula in the 750MC. It's about the cheapest sports car racing around. Not bike engined, Fiat engined. It seems that everyone thinks bike engines are more reliable and cheaper. Load of codswallop! Some of these bike engines can cost £4-5k to prepare. Some of these Fiat engines have run at the front of the grid for 3 years without an engine rebuild or even a change of oil !! And the engines can be bought and prepared for less than a grand. How's that for cost effectiveness !!
Old 2 Oct 2005, 21:40 (Ref:1422285)   #6
Old Ropey
Racer

Thanks everyone, I hadn't got round to the 750MC, but will now.
Not keen on Globals and they seem to be going a bit down hill this year.
I am keen on bike engines though, despite some grief in a Jedi.
Old 2 Oct 2005, 21:49 (Ref:1422293)   #7
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you're thinking of a Bike engined car but not sure which, the Speads looks excellent and is very competitive. Possibly relatively pricy compared to some you could pick up, but I wait to be proved wrong.
Old 3 Oct 2005, 08:27 (Ref:1422529)   #8
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
gixxer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Ropey
We are thinking of changing from single seaters to some form of sports car, probably bike engined, but not Radical. The question is where could one race.
The Darlington club's Sports Racing championship seems to have died off from lack of interest, which is a great shame since it's our part of the world and they run good meetings.
Castle Combe is a long way for us and there must be some sort of question mark over the circuit.
What else is there? can anyone help.
What's wrong with combe? going by the number that raced in the Combe based GT they seem to enjoy it.

Why don't you come down and give it a try,you'll either love it or hate it.

To some of the regulars distance is no problem!
Old 3 Oct 2005, 08:36 (Ref:1422542)   #9
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Yes, but a regular trek from Scotland to Combe would be painful
Old 3 Oct 2005, 08:50 (Ref:1422558)   #10
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
gixxer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
Yes, but a regular trek from Scotland to Combe would be painful
Don't know if you remember Ian but Keith Macaskill who raced in the combe saloons did the trek from Scotland for every meeting,well that was until he had a near life taking shunt at hammer down with his team mate,even so Keith did come back for more even after the shunt he still liked the place.

I've not raced there myself but have done the racing school a few times there's just something about it that makes you want more.

Just a pity my bank balance won't allow me to have a proper go

But will be doing the tour de combe this sat but that's about all i can manage
Old 3 Oct 2005, 10:07 (Ref:1422612)   #11
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new Speads Sportscar (An Audi R8 lookalikee) looks fantastic & is bike engined. I expect that you could run it in the 750 Bikesports series as well as Britsports & any DDMC series or similar.
Old 3 Oct 2005, 14:06 (Ref:1422857)   #12
Old Ropey
Racer

Once again, thanks to everyone for the help.
750MC's Bikesport looks just the job. I like the look of the new Speads car and will try to get a run in it, but it looks a bit pricey. An old and cheapie? Radical may be the answer.
Old 3 Oct 2005, 14:12 (Ref:1422861)   #13
RobC
Racer

United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
RobC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What are these "Speads Sportscars" you speak of? any links? still trying to decide what to run next year 99% on a Rad but could be tempted away.

P.S. I'm doing the CC GT's next year ... can't wait
Old 3 Oct 2005, 14:20 (Ref:1422867)   #14
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobC
What are these "Speads Sportscars" you speak of? any links? still trying to decide what to run next year 99% on a Rad but could be tempted away.

P.S. I'm doing the CC GT's next year ... can't wait

www.speadsracecars.co.uk

The Speads team will be at Castle Combe on Saturday 8 Oct running one of their single seaters in the Monoposto races. Have a chat to them there - they sometimes bring along a sports car to view.
Old 3 Oct 2005, 14:21 (Ref:1422870)   #15
RobC
Racer

United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
RobC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Andy

Just found the site as well.......to expensive for my pocket unfortunately
Old 31 Oct 2005, 23:51 (Ref:1448932)   #16
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ropey got some useful ideas - any advice for wannabe V8 sports prototype racers, at Club level please?

We've started a three year project to design and build one - and now we learn (rather late) that the OpenSports Racing Cup (BARC) folded earlier this year. Otherwise, we can only find prototype/selfbuild series that are small/bike engined and V8 series that are for saloon/sillhouette cars. Anyone know of a suitable series?

John (and Jon)
Old 31 Oct 2005, 23:53 (Ref:1448934)   #17
Ian Sowman
Veteran

You might be OK in something like Combe Special GT or Welsh Sports/Saloons. Not sure on Britsports regs, which would be another alternative...
Old 1 Nov 2005, 17:46 (Ref:1449590)   #18
Simon S
Racer

England
Simon S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
You might be OK in something like Combe Special GT or Welsh Sports/Saloons. Not sure on Britsports regs, which would be another alternative...
Britsports would be possible, at the moment the regs are relatively open.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 23:33 (Ref:1449946)   #19
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ian,
Thank you! The Welsh Wizards have a very possible championship for our ambitions, being open and at venues as well as Pembrey, to relieve the long trek for us to Llanelli and beyond. The CC is also a long way, but always is. We plan to visit Pembrey again for the 15/16th Winter series meeting, to scout the opposition, and pick up tips.

Simon,
Thank you! However, Britsports is a bit too pricey for us, however open the regs. It approaches the British GT Championship for cost!

Best wishes
John
Old 2 Nov 2005, 22:26 (Ref:1450890)   #20
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was just wondering if there is any more info about the 750mc formula anywhere apart from what is on the 750mc website, such as costs, etc,etc

As for Britsports, i'm suprised they have not added of a class structure into it, such as

Class A: upto 3000cc, or Grp C2, SR2 and LMP675 cars
Class B: upto 2000cc car engined, or 1500cc bike engined
Class C: upto 1600cc cars engined (also include sports 2000cars with 8v pinto's in) or 1200cc bike engined

That might introduce some more smaller cars into the mix and might mean some 'cheaper' racing.

Just thinking out aloud.......... lol
Old 4 Nov 2005, 20:08 (Ref:1452337)   #21
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Simpson
I was just wondering if there is any more info about the 750mc formula anywhere apart from what is on the 750mc website, such as costs, etc,etc

As for Britsports, i'm suprised they have not added of a class structure into it, such as

Class A: upto 3000cc, or Grp C2, SR2 and LMP675 cars
Class B: upto 2000cc car engined, or 1500cc bike engined
Class C: upto 1600cc cars engined (also include sports 2000cars with 8v pinto's in) or 1200cc bike engined

That might introduce some more smaller cars into the mix and might mean some 'cheaper' racing.

Just thinking out aloud.......... lol
Tony - Class A - upto 3000cc?? Where would I run my McLaren M8F then?
Sorry, only Joe King.

But seriously, this is a typical British disease - up to 3000cc, or similar.
What's happened to the "unlimited" for Class A? That's thinking out LOUD!

Rob.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 21:35 (Ref:1452398)   #22
Simon S
Racer

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD
Ian,
Simon,
Thank you! However, Britsports is a bit too pricey for us, however open the regs. It approaches the British GT Championship for cost!

Best wishes
John
John,

not sure what your bassisng this on, I do Britcar, and it costs NOTHING like GT

you can spend money if you want, but there is nothing there that madates this...

Simon
Old 4 Nov 2005, 22:46 (Ref:1452446)   #23
JohnD
Veteran

Simon,
Thank you for making me look at Britsports again. I thought I had read entry fees in the order of £1000/race in the published regs, but I am wrong - they aren't given there. The only reference I can find is http://eerc.co.uk/M.htm that quotes £700. Is this wrong?
I realise that this is for two 2hr races, so may be a bargain when compared with the usual fee for a twenty minute club race, but it is outside our budget. Maybe later!

John
Old 4 Nov 2005, 23:16 (Ref:1452457)   #24
Simon S
Racer

England
got to ask, what car are you trying to run?

don't know exactly what Britsport entries are but I would guess £700 is top end for them, that said, if this is too rich for you, not sure what to suggest?
Old 5 Nov 2005, 00:09 (Ref:1452483)   #25
JohnD
Veteran

Simon,
See top of this page.
John