Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 19 Nov 2016, 12:53 (Ref:3689244)   #351
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From Jayski's:

Standings if the Chase wasn't around and the CURRENT points system that was used from 2011 thru current but NO Chase

•Unofficial Top 25 in 2016 Sprint Cup Driver Points Standings (not the Chase):
[after Phoenix, race 35 of 36]
(using current points system, but not the Chase rules, unofficial)
1) #4-Kevin Harvick(EC), 1120
2) #22-Joey Logano(C1), 1095, -25
3) #2-Brad Keselowski(EC), 1083, -37
4) #18-Kyle Busch(C4), 1069, -51
5) #11-Denny Hamlin(EC), 1052, -68
6) #41-Kurt Busch(EC), 1027, -93
7) #19-Carl Edwards(C3), 997, -123
8) #78-Martin Truex Jr.(EC), 986, -134
9) #48-Jimmie Johnson(C2), 963, -157
10) #20-Matt Kenseth(EC), 963, -157
11) #24-Chase Elliott#(EC), 936, -184
12) #5-Kasey Kahne, 894, -226
13) #42-Kyle Larson(EC), 890, -230
14) #31-Ryan Newman, 879, -241
15) #3-Austin Dillon(EC), 873, -247
16) #1-Jamie McMurray(EC), 871, -249
17) #47-AJ Allmendinger, 797, -323
18) #21-Ryan Blaney#, 797, -323
19) #17-Ricky Stenhouse Jr., 761, -359
20) #6-Trevor Bayne, 741, -379
21) #16-Greg Biffle, 667, -453
22) #10-Danica Patrick, 667, -453
23) #27-Paul Menard, 651, -469
24) #43-Aric Almirola, 637, -483
25) #14-Tony Stewart(EC), 623, -497
28) #34-Chris Buescher#(EC), 524, -596
(C# = chase driver and current Chase position)
(EC = chase driver that has been eliminated from the Chase)
(11-13-2016)

______________________________________________________-

So given this, Harvick would probably have a 70% or better chance
of being the champ with a decent top 10 finish. I can remember back in the
80's and 90's the champ was crowned with 2 or 3 races to go. On the
statistical side of the sport I need a little more intrigue so I don't
mind the Chase rules. Plenty of other motorsports that have
straight line points system that will bring joy and bliss to ones heart.

For me , personally, I am a fan of motorsports because of what it
does for my 5 senses. The rules, the points, the specs, and all
of its evolutions, I hold of (very)small importance. I guess ,at times,
those things can be fun to ponder as if we were the rules makers.
To penalize oneself of never watching the sport again because of a rule
change leaves me to believe one may have not really been a fan
of the physical act of the racing but more so the rules and regs.
I also understand that I am an island unto myself on this thread.
Old 20 Nov 2016, 19:52 (Ref:3689797)   #352
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Time to see if Jimmie Jam Johnson can get his
7th Championship and join the club including
Richard Petty, Dale Earnhardt, and Michael Schumacher.
Old 20 Nov 2016, 23:42 (Ref:3689842)   #353
canamman
Veteran

United States
Big wreck on the restart with 10 to go. Edwards class act
in interview.

This red flag is going on 30 minutes.

Johnson,Lagono,Busch up in the front for the next restart.
Old 21 Nov 2016, 00:05 (Ref:3689847)   #354
canamman
Veteran

United States
Winner of the race and 7 TIME CHAMPION
#48 Jimmie Johnson. Historic. No. EFFING HISTORIC!
Old 21 Nov 2016, 00:32 (Ref:3689853)   #355
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ugh. Reminds me not to watch any Nascar next year apart from the final race.

I don't think JJ even gave a damn, he was pretty mellow in the post race. The crew were far more excited than him.

Bad for the sport to have Edwards end up losing it again and JJ just to add another notch on the post. Does anyone really want to see him win again, apart from his diehard fans? But hey if Nascar stops throwing cautions over every tiny little thing, Edwards probably would have run those last 15 laps green and been champ.
Old 21 Nov 2016, 01:25 (Ref:3689866)   #356
canamman
Veteran

United States
That's cool. Back to your saloons and hillclimbs.
Old 21 Nov 2016, 02:50 (Ref:3689875)   #357
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
Wow - just bloody WOW. to win 7 series in championship that is so wide open and so varied is a totally awesome achievement.

Jimmie J (& crew) - you rock!
Old 21 Nov 2016, 13:29 (Ref:3689933)   #358
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
Personally I'd like the driver who has done the best over the course of the whole season to win. Oh well....
Me too, but it has not been that way for several years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
Ugh. Reminds me not to watch any Nascar next year apart from the final race.

I don't think JJ even gave a damn, he was pretty mellow in the post race. The crew were far more excited than him.

Bad for the sport to have Edwards end up losing it again and JJ just to add another notch on the post. Does anyone really want to see him win again, apart from his diehard fans? But hey if Nascar stops throwing cautions over every tiny little thing, Edwards probably would have run those last 15 laps green and been champ.
Not sure why you bothered at all, tbh.

I guess you missed JJ going more nuts than I've ever seen right after the race was over and every other winning interview he's given.

I think another 7 time champ is good for the sport, but there's enough other that is bad right now including cautions. And Carl Edwards would have many championships run under the old system as would Kevin Harvick. Unfortunately, it's the Chase nonsense now and sometimes someone who would've finished 6th (JJ), is champ.
Old 21 Nov 2016, 13:32 (Ref:3689934)   #359
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
As someone who has never really been a fan, I was pulling for JJ. I would've preferred Carl getting a deserved championship, but just wasn't meant to be.

Typical silly race that I tuned in to most of on the radio while doing leaves, but watched the final restart and there was no denying JJ after that.

Excited for the Chase and Kyle Larson battle for the next 2 decades! Now, if we can fix the system (or unfix it).
Old 26 Nov 2016, 16:26 (Ref:3691158)   #360
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
JJ living legend.
Old 1 Dec 2016, 22:25 (Ref:3692832)   #361
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For the first time in my life (living memory anyway), I didn't watch a second of Nascar this year. It was making me angry. To those of you that did, was it a good decision or not? Did I miss anything?
Old 2 Dec 2016, 01:46 (Ref:3692862)   #362
canamman
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
For the first time in my life (living memory anyway), I didn't watch a second of Nascar this year. It was making me angry. To those of you that did, was it a good decision or not? Did I miss anything?
Well, I could give you a long answer, but I will just opt for the short
answer today. Life is too short to ever involve yourself in
actions that make you angry , so I would say you made the right
decision.

Here is your link for what you missed.
http://www.jayski.com/news/pages/sto...p-Race-Results
Old 2 Dec 2016, 13:01 (Ref:3692967)   #363
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Number4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It was a good decision and you did not miss anything.

The Chase ruined the Cup series, once a driver won, they did not really have to try too hard for the rest of the season, and the endless drivel spoken about it by the commentators was mind numbing. I couldn't be bothered watching the last few races. What a ridiculous way to crown a champion.

The Xfinity was ruined by the chase, and the "Dash for the Cach" which split the field into two heats and a main. The main race at Bristol was quite good when they glued the track up.

The Trucks were ruined by another chase and the caution clock. The race at Martinsville was quite good though. The finale at Homestead was ridiculous.

The K&N pro series were the better in my opinion, if you don't mind watching kids race.

They have completely killed it for me with these contrived gimmicks. But the boss man thinks the chase is his best idea ever, and blames the loss of audiences on the economy.

I won't pay to watch anymore, maybe I will catch some of next year if I can get some free wifi.
Old 7 Dec 2016, 02:44 (Ref:3694363)   #364
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Well, I could give you a long answer, but I will just opt for the short
answer today. Life is too short to ever involve yourself in
actions that make you angry , so I would say you made the right
decision.

Here is your link for what you missed.
http://www.jayski.com/news/pages/sto...p-Race-Results
Good. Maybe I'm getting smarter as I get older. I was forcing myself to watch it and what's the point in that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number4 View Post
It was a good decision and you did not miss anything.

The Chase ruined the Cup series, once a driver won, they did not really have to try too hard for the rest of the season, and the endless drivel spoken about it by the commentators was mind numbing. I couldn't be bothered watching the last few races. What a ridiculous way to crown a champion.

The Xfinity was ruined by the chase, and the "Dash for the Cach" which split the field into two heats and a main. The main race at Bristol was quite good when they glued the track up.

The Trucks were ruined by another chase and the caution clock. The race at Martinsville was quite good though. The finale at Homestead was ridiculous.

The K&N pro series were the better in my opinion, if you don't mind watching kids race.

They have completely killed it for me with these contrived gimmicks. But the boss man thinks the chase is his best idea ever, and blames the loss of audiences on the economy.

I won't pay to watch anymore, maybe I will catch some of next year if I can get some free wifi.
I agree with pretty much all of that. Over-expansion and over-saturation was the first problem though. They can get me back pretty easily, but I don't think they'll get there for a while.

Plus make the cars look cool. Like TA2.
Old 10 Dec 2016, 14:12 (Ref:3695142)   #365
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Good. Maybe I'm getting smarter as I get older. I was forcing myself to watch it and what's the point in that?
Quote:
I agree with pretty much all of that. Over-expansion and over-saturation was the first problem though. They can get me back pretty easily, but I don't think they'll get there for a while.

Plus make the cars look cool. Like TA2.
Seeing as how they "had" you and I every Sunday together watching 15 years ago ( , has it been that long??), it's very hard to understand how they went so wrong.

I watched tracks this year I like to see cars go round, not really wanting to see good racing. No matter what's going on, I'll check to see where Chase is late in the race and watch or continue to listen in. Needless to say, I've been upset at the end of a few races this year. Some legit cautions, but some that just make no sense. More of that, I won't be watching at all, but I at least feel like I have some people to pull for now. I like Chase and Kyle Larson, but when the people up front are consistently people I hate with a passion and the racing is just sub-par, imho, I can't do it.

Thankful that canamman and some others can at least find some pleasure out of it still.
Old 18 Dec 2016, 09:55 (Ref:3696918)   #366
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I came to ask what JHamilton did about whether or not bothering with NASCAR for the year was a bad move. I nearly tuned in for the few events that I would specifically look forward to each year, but didn't quite do it.

It is all automated on my PVR system so I certainly could have watched every race, but it just didn't get me. I can't say I missed it all that much. It was all just starting to get a bit much with the silliness.

When they introduced the chase I tended to not really see the chase races after the first couple of seasons with it (would usually get three or four) as it all seemed a bit "What is the point?" to me. It was frustrating. A season as long as NASCAR's should be about the long haul; it just feels rather wrong to me to try to invalidate all that went before.

Perhaps I will plug back in in 2017, but from comments here maybe there is not much point.

How sad the state of affairs has become.
Old 23 Dec 2016, 21:25 (Ref:3698184)   #367
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton View Post
I came to ask what JHamilton did about whether or not bothering with NASCAR for the year was a bad move. I nearly tuned in for the few events that I would specifically look forward to each year, but didn't quite do it.

It is all automated on my PVR system so I certainly could have watched every race, but it just didn't get me. I can't say I missed it all that much. It was all just starting to get a bit much with the silliness.

When they introduced the chase I tended to not really see the chase races after the first couple of seasons with it (would usually get three or four) as it all seemed a bit "What is the point?" to me. It was frustrating. A season as long as NASCAR's should be about the long haul; it just feels rather wrong to me to try to invalidate all that went before.

Perhaps I will plug back in in 2017, but from comments here maybe there is not much point.

How sad the state of affairs has become.
I am another hater of the Chase. I last watched a full season of NASCAR in 2009 (at least I think it was '09 - Michael Waltrips last full season at any rate) and haven't felt compelled to watch this silly system with its knockout nonsense.

For me, let the drivers and teams race hard all year and the guy with the most points at the end is the Champion. It works in all the other motorsport I watch. It works for football. It works for rugby. It just works.

Make it so please Mr NASCAR or likely I will watch Daytona and that will be it for the year - as has been the case since '09. I'm kind of addicted to Daytona... I cannot offer a logical explanation for this though!
Old 24 Dec 2016, 21:20 (Ref:3698346)   #368
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
R.Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Greetings all. Well, it is almost the close of 2016. I haven't been on here, very much, of late. Like most, I LOATH the chase. It has ruined a good bit of the enjoyment that I had derived from watching the races over the years. I combatted it this way. At the beginning of the last 10 races, I completely cut the sound off. That way I did not have to hear the constant praises of the chase, at the expense of the rest of the drivers and teams racing! All I care about is seeing the race, seeing who wins the races and how they won them. This joke of a system has devalued the Championship for this series to a point of being a just another popularity contest and pretty much meaningless. The boneheaded decisions of the IDIOT, brian france, have turned me. basically, into a barely casual fan, where in the past, I had been a rabid, hardcore fan, that never missed a race! That is pretty sad, when you think about it. That said, I cannot just walk away from NASCAR. Stock car racing has been a huge part of my life and I cannot just leave it. I have no where else to go. I do not like any other form of racing, period. I'll watch an occasional drag race, but it is nothing like it was back in the day and does not offer enough to hold me as a racing fan. Stock cars are the only thing that have ever "done it" and still do it for me. I simply have NO interest in any other form of racing. So here is how I will handle it, from now on, unless things change more back to my suiting, which I seriously doubt will happen, brian france seems to be DOUBLING DOWN on the STUPIDY that had caused me to lose so much interest. I'll watch Speedweeks, ARCA race, whatever the non points race is called now, qualifying and the qualifying races and I'll watch the Xfinity series and the Daytona 500. I'll watch the races, until the last 10 races of the year, then I will do as I did this year, turn the sound down and watch the remaining 10 races in silence. That is the ONLY way I can handle it. I'll comment on the races here, until the last 10, then I will pretty much go dormant until the 2018 season begins. So for all of you, I wish you the most Merry Christmas and a Happy, safe and prosperous New Year. See Y'all at the start of Speedweeks.
Old 25 Dec 2016, 04:30 (Ref:3698386)   #369
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
why not just cut the cord completely and just go to your local short track every weekend instead?
Old 25 Dec 2016, 21:13 (Ref:3698432)   #370
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
why not just cut the cord completely and just go to your local short track every weekend instead?
Because they closed all of the local short tracks here a couple of years ago. Gresham Motorsports Park - Closed 3 years ago.

Lanier National Raceway - Closed about 5 to 7 years ago.

Nothing local to attend here anymore.
Old 26 Dec 2016, 02:57 (Ref:3698462)   #371
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Winder Barrow Speedway - 25mi from Flowery Branch, GA.
Old 26 Dec 2016, 03:59 (Ref:3698464)   #372
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Winder Barrow Speedway - 25mi from Flowery Branch, GA.
I've heard a race breaks out at a fight there.
Old 26 Dec 2016, 04:27 (Ref:3698471)   #373
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I've heard a race breaks out at a fight there.
Sounds like a good time to me.

Same could be said about the little 1/3 mile we race at weekly, hah.
Old 26 Dec 2016, 04:48 (Ref:3698472)   #374
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Sounds like a good time to me.

Same could be said about the little 1/3 mile we race at weekly, hah.
I've wanted to over there for awhile. They filmed some portions of Greased Lighting with Richard Pryor there as well as the long closed Athens Speedway, my hometown track.
Old 26 Dec 2016, 11:05 (Ref:3698512)   #375
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Winder-Barrow Speedway. Yes, I know all about Winder-Barrow, also about Dixie Speedway, I raced there, years ago, when it was a paved track. The only problem is that both of these are dirt tracks. Don't get me wrong, but I'm not into dirt track racing, like I was in the past. Unfortunately, it has little effect on NASCAR racing these days, other than some drivers trying to move up into the NASCAR ranks. If it were like it were, back in the day, when dirt track racing was a part of NASCAR, (unfortunately, that ended around 1971) I'd be allot more interested. I'm a fan of paved short track racing and those are the tracks that they closed. The nearest paved track in in South Carolina. I've been to it before, but it is just too far away and cost too much to go there on a regular basis. When Gresham and Lanier were opened, we had allot of good short track racing here, especially at Gresham, it was on the K&N East schedule and really looked like it was going to take off, but then everything went to Hell and now we have nothing.

As to Winder-Barrow, yes a race occasionally does break out at the fights there. A few years ago, that was okay, I'd be in there swinging away with the best of them. But now a day, I've gotten a bit too old for that kind of thing. I only fight when/if I have too, not like in the old days, when I was ready to fight at the drop of a hat. Guess getting old does that to you. Oh well, such is life. Like I said, paved short track racing is no more, it's dead and gone, in North Georgia. I got nothing.