Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 Feb 2016, 01:27 (Ref:3614725)   #101
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM86 View Post
Old bruzza waving a Skoda flag...watching frosty in a Fabia...times will be great

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM86 View Post
I wonder if they will be able to get close to Jim manilos time

Hahahaha brilliant
Old 15 Feb 2016, 06:27 (Ref:3614756)   #102
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How do you know the guy at a social function drives an Audi- he tells everybody!

How do you put the Audi knob at a social function in his place- ask him whether his VW is a diesel one!
Old 15 Feb 2016, 07:56 (Ref:3614768)   #103
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
but gt3 is on the v8 card, gt3 is seen by the people. its seen by the fans of v8 supercars.

they disagree with you, they dont rate it that well, Sorry if you dont like it and you cant handle that.
I'm not sure you understood the point that was being made in the earlier post, so I will spell it out, because I think it's quite valid and it's something we all need to consider/remember.

Simply, if the Championship promoter switched to GT3 regs and all the top teams (e.g. 888, PRA, DJRTP) switched to GT3 cars and all the top drivers moved across accordingly and then simultaneously all of the COTF V8 cars were run by privateers and wealthy amateurs in a 5 or 6 round series, you would find that GT3 would have big crowds and top TV ratings and V8s would lose 90% of their audience.

Most fans follow V8SC because it's "the show", the biggest game in town, not because they have facsimiles of cars that until quite recently were very popular with the buying public. Several very experienced track promoters have told me the same thing over the years. You need the big name drivers and teams to get the big crowds. Most fans won't come out to see unknown drivers, regardless of how exciting or spectacular the cars and racing may be.
Old 15 Feb 2016, 09:21 (Ref:3614781)   #104
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Valid point David, in relation to the big name drivers and teams.

The Bathurst 12 hour is great event, but half the big name drivers from overseas didn't mean a thing to me as a keen motorsport fan.

Likewise so many different classes-a prize for every contender maybe?
Old 15 Feb 2016, 18:52 (Ref:3614896)   #105
KSM86
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
KSM86 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
Valid point David, in relation to the big name drivers and teams.

The Bathurst 12 hour is great event, but half the big name drivers from overseas didn't mean a thing to me as a keen motorsport fan.

I think its good seeing "STRAYA'S talent vs the worlds best GT drivers in the WORLD.

Last edited by KSM86; 15 Feb 2016 at 18:58.
Old 15 Feb 2016, 19:30 (Ref:3614909)   #106
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nah I think you boy's have got it wrong - people don't come to see the quiet, but super quick Frosty, the on the border of grip and rules Gizzy, GT and JC's constant on track meetings, the amazing Jamie Whincup, the next big things Mr Chaz and Mr Jandal, the class clown Reynolds, the evil empire T8, Prodrive rising above constant failings to finally win, BJR being the underdogs and pulling a few wins, Erebus in general, the backmarkers "racecraft", the smugness when Walkinshaw spent the most and still can't win, seeing the Super Girls have a crack, the lottery of race direction, Garry Rogers, Tim Edwards....

Nah you've definitely got it wrong. People flock to Supercars for cut and shut body panels, spaceframe control chassis and regulated engines.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 02:35 (Ref:3615017)   #107
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
there is no motorsport without the bogan demographic, anyone who says different is in self denial

Ford fans supported the ford sierra, bathurst 1000 still drew bigger crowds that the pinicle of gt3 racing in australia.

however there are unknowns regarding the future of v8 supercars in australia, that cant be denied, But Gt3 is far from proving to be the answer
Two words: Formula One
Old 16 Feb 2016, 08:27 (Ref:3615048)   #108
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
I don't follow this comment?

The Bathurst 1000 & the ATCC/V8SCS have had different classes racing at the same time for individual prizes in their history for longer than they have been one-class only races
Old 16 Feb 2016, 23:23 (Ref:3615312)   #109
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Question - did the introduction of Merc, Nissan and Volvo lower or raise the spectator base? My gut is that some left while some joined but no real change. However the series did survive the introduction of new players into the blue/red series.

The V8 series needs to evolve, and I believe GT3 or DTM World Spec is the way to go. As long as the drivers and teams remain, the majority will stay - as long as the "entertainment package" remains the same. Produce crap racing and all bets are off.
Old 17 Feb 2016, 01:19 (Ref:3615332)   #110
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
Yeah definitely no btcc style regs.

What I reckon would work (though I'm not sure how popular it would be with those in charge) -

*less reliance on manufacturers

*spec motor. Big block alloy head Sprint car motor would be ideal. Cheaper and more powerful than what we got. Keeps things "fair" and limits costs to a degree

*Body wise they should be fiberglass replicas of a currently produced car. Cfd test for down force parity maybe?

Otherwise keep things much the same. Make the teams and drivers the stars, manufacturers can **** off.

In recent years Ive gotten the distinct impression people like drivers/teams rather than Holden/Ford etc. The old paradigm is dying and I reckon we can thank T8 for that - such a dominant, professional, "non factory" team. Add Prodrive in too I guess. With teams like that, who needs manufacturers?
Ever heard of the Scandinavian Touring Car Championship? Sounds like a target for rule unification between two less viewed series. Basically spec aero package with a spec motor from NISMO, currently midship but rule changes are due in '18 to make the series more attractive to manufacturers on the Nordic side. Trying to reel manufacturers back in but without the fan base to warrant building to their unique spec on the Aussie side.
Old 18 Feb 2016, 16:48 (Ref:3615771)   #111
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoB Special Stage View Post
Two words: Formula One
Have you ever seen the crowds at Monza?
Old 18 Feb 2016, 19:43 (Ref:3615802)   #112
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABWOA View Post
I believe GT3 or DTM World Spec is the way to go. As long as the drivers and teams remain, the majority will stay - as long as the "entertainment package" remains the same. Produce crap racing and all bets are off.
V8 Supercars races are a million times more entertaining than DTM.