Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 16 Jun 2014, 16:36 (Ref:3422665)   #51
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I bet that's taken the smirk of his face! Why 'False Imprisonment' I wonder if the girl who was obviously terrified has pressed charges?

Here is the report http://news.sky.com/story/1283502/ma...tch-race-drive
Old 16 Jun 2014, 17:34 (Ref:3422685)   #52
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Also I cannot remember at Brands but at other circuits like Snett there is definitely a gated entrance on to pit lane that is opened to let race cars through and closed after, this is what I find so odd as I am almost certain I have seen the same at Brands and surely it would be an MSA requirement or track owners requirement.
I wonder if it wasn't closed because the beetles needed free movement for refueling? Forgive my ignorance if it isn't, but the reason why I think this is because when I went to Spa for the 25 hours last year (my cousin was in one of the supporting races) they were frequently leaving the pit area to refuel at the pumps.
Old 16 Jun 2014, 18:06 (Ref:3422694)   #53
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I bet that's taken the smirk of his face! Why 'False Imprisonment' I wonder if the girl who was obviously terrified has pressed charges?

Thanks for the link Al. She wouldn't necessarily have to press charges for a successful prosecution and in any case that would have provided a basis for arrest but alternative charges could follow - in addition to or instead of false imprisonment. Good to hear that progress is being made!
Old 16 Jun 2014, 18:46 (Ref:3422712)   #54
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The video showed they drove through the last garage, which is often used as the access route for pit trollies etc.
Old 16 Jun 2014, 18:53 (Ref:3422715)   #55
Zola
Racer

United Kingdom
Zola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was there and drove my mates BMW road car from bottom paddock through tunnel and parked up behind garage 2, did this twice and nobody asked where I was going or asked for any passes. Even after the incident nobody was checking anyone.
Old 16 Jun 2014, 19:04 (Ref:3422718)   #56
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
It's very rare that you get stopped going through the tunnel and the entrance is usually manned, I just hope the man who is usually there doesn't get into bother over it. I was wondering how they got to the outer paddock and tunnel unless they were with one of the teams as the entrance by The Kentagon is normally closed and guarded during race days. If you drive to the south bank can you drive all the way round the outside of Druids and access the paddock that way?
Old 16 Jun 2014, 19:54 (Ref:3422738)   #57
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
If you drive to the south bank can you drive all the way round the outside of Druids and access the paddock that way?
I think it's normally gated at the top of Paddock bend on the perimeter road and normally someone is on the entrance gate at the top paddock entrance.
However if the "person" in question had a pass he could have come in the back gate anyway.
However it's going to f*** things up that's for sure !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 17 Jun 2014, 01:02 (Ref:3422805)   #58
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So how much would it cost to rerun the race? Hope he gets the bill.
Old 17 Jun 2014, 03:01 (Ref:3422849)   #59
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Listening to this 'man' talk, and watching his actions, it sounds like he's extremely stupid. I suggest he's barred from all circuits and all sporting events for life.

It only matters if it has a motor...
Old 17 Jun 2014, 06:28 (Ref:3422894)   #60
kelvin88
Veteran

United Kingdom
south east
kelvin88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did wonder why he was there. If he is there with a team then the Licence holder is responsible for his conduct. That would also explain why he is in the paddock. I don't know what the gate price is at an MSV meeting but they seem unlikely to be the kind of people that would pay to get in. As I think Tim said earlier, they clearly are NOT race fans.
Old 17 Jun 2014, 08:07 (Ref:3422918)   #61
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
£13 each on the gate.

Simon
Old 17 Jun 2014, 08:07 (Ref:3422919)   #62
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

She would have had to have pressed charges because otherwise she would have been an accessory....and I dont know was he was actually insured to drive then....and remember it no longer counts that you are on "Private Property"...the Lakeside boy racers stopped that in the early 90's.

She in the vid clearly tells him several times to stop...he didnt ...so technically he falsely imprisoned her...thats the simple bit.

I was actually in Le Mans and posted a tweet thinking it was the same as you Al, that is a Track day as such....what a shame both you and I were wrong.

There was a previous post about wrist bands, we have always used them for the six hour and different colour ones as well and we always tell the assembly people to make sure that no one goes on track unless they have one on, but, this guy knew EXACTLY what he was going to do, and though I doubt if he would have run someone over to get out there.....would you want to be the one to take the chance of standing in front of him....he was being told to stop by his girlfriend and wouldn't...is he gonna worry what a stranger in orange tells him?

What it will do is make circuits and organisers aware that there will need to be (as with all events) more security...not for the majority of perfectly normal people who like to look at the cars in the paddock etc ...but for the odd chav or prat who for whatever reason...thinks it would be a bit of fun spoiling it for others....now that will then open a debate as to who pays for the added security at a club event ....The circuit will say the organising club....the OC will say the circuit....ultimately it will end up firmly at the foot of the end user...that is the customer, more commonly known as the competitor because if the OC has to stump up for paddock security then they will have to get that money from somewhere...if the circuit has to, then they will charge more rent to the OC...and we are back to the competitor.

With regard to another post about the garage being closed at the back...that is not an easy task particularly for endurance type racing, no...the fact is you have to stop him (a numpty that is) getting in the paddock in the first place...and that as we have seen is not easy

Last edited by MartinSmith; 17 Jun 2014 at 08:13.
Old 17 Jun 2014, 10:35 (Ref:3422976)   #63
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the video taken by the prat in the back the girl appears to be laughing at times and the protests are not too forceful. Why did she not wind the window down and scream. She and the back seat prat should be charged as well.

Was the race stopped and abandoned? If so then, presumably, the competitors still running could sue the idiot in civil court for part of their race fees back.
Old 17 Jun 2014, 10:40 (Ref:3422981)   #64
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
A perfectly reasoned response is what's needed, not kneejerk reactions, though this is motorsport, and they do kneejerk reactions very well indeed.

You probably only needed two more marshalls. One at the tunnel stopping any Tom, Dick or Harry getting to the central paddock with passes etc. And a marshall at the pit exit. Either one of those would have / should have stopped this car getting onto the track. We don't need to turn race tracks into fort knox, though we all know that's what's likely to happen. I mean look at Silverstone. There are often more G4S staff there now than spectators. And the G4S staff attitude stinks.
Old 17 Jun 2014, 10:43 (Ref:3422982)   #65
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Was the race stopped and abandoned? If so then, presumably, the competitors still running could sue the idiot in civil court for part of their race fees back.
Aren't there clauses around entry fees being non-refundable? Otherwise this opens up a rather dangerous can of worms... it's legally probably not a huge leap from "sue for race fees because punter drove on track and race had to be stopped" to "sue for race fees because competitor crashed and race had to be stopped"
Old 17 Jun 2014, 10:50 (Ref:3422985)   #66
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
You probably only needed two more marshalls. One at the tunnel stopping any Tom, Dick or Harry getting to the central paddock with passes etc.
I'd argue that for places like Brands this should be circuit staff / security / someone with the authority to remove someone from the event, rather than a marshal. Say, for example, a driver wants to go somewhere they aren't supposed to go, at a time they aren't supposed to, if it's someone from circuit staff / security that stops them isn't it a "circuit" matter rather than a "race control" matter if it was a marshal?
Old 17 Jun 2014, 11:00 (Ref:3422994)   #67
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
Aren't there clauses around entry fees being non-refundable? Otherwise this opens up a rather dangerous can of worms... it's legally probably not a huge leap from "sue for race fees because punter drove on track and race had to be stopped" to "sue for race fees because competitor crashed and race had to be stopped"

Totally agree

With regard to circuits being like fort knox I dont think anyone wants that at a club meeting...and hopefully common sense will prevail but as I said before ...I dont think Marshals should be security officers....I think security should do that

Can I ask re the earlier post by Morninggents ...what good would have winding down the window and screaming done?..would she have alerted people more quickly to it?... Hell why did she not open the car door and jump out and be no part of it?...C'mon!.....I don't think so....in truth if you look at the video...the girl is actually in disbelief that he is going to do it...and yes joking and laughing but she screems at him...wrestles with him and does actually try and grab the wheel...she let him drive her car so as I said earlier she will either plead that she didnt want him to do it (as per the film she hasn't got a bad case) and then he will be done for "false imprisonment" or what have you....or she says she was in on it in which case she is just as guilty.... I think you will find that the girl didnt believe he would get on there and when he enters the pit lane she is rather concerned ......Im not saying she is sweet and innocent...im saying that HE knew what he wanted to do and was going to try and do it....she didn't believe he could ...and when he did she was not then saying "Go on Go On" was she?
Old 17 Jun 2014, 11:45 (Ref:3423019)   #68
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Also, I have just checked the footage out that was taken in the lower paddock by the looks of it and I see what Al was saying....those two passengers must have ducked down because it clearly looks like he is on his own in that car ....and it does look like he has an open faced helmet on?...weird
Old 17 Jun 2014, 14:23 (Ref:3423079)   #69
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if i heard correclty the race was red flag with 20 minutes to go due to this silly person
Old 17 Jun 2014, 14:56 (Ref:3423089)   #70
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I don't think it needs so many drastic measures that will push up prices to the end user, just ensure the gate to the circuit is closed once all competitors are on the track (probably done already) and terms for using pit garages to include that the rear shutters must be down if no cars in the garage and a clear path exits for a vehicle and this will be the responsibility of the competitor, not too much to ask or back up their trucks to ensure the same thing, job done and costs nothing!
Old 17 Jun 2014, 15:53 (Ref:3423109)   #71
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Whilst I understand where you are coming from, Al, I suspect that there may be objections to closing the rear of the garages as that is effectively the fire escape...

Fortunately at most circuits that I can think of, access to the circuit is a lot more difficult for idiots like this, as gates block off the holding area - although it is fair to say if someone takes the chance of diving through a pit garage it would be possible, though of course usually only at a limited time-frame as the garages are usually occupied.
Old 17 Jun 2014, 17:41 (Ref:3423141)   #72
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I haven't been to the paddock area at Brands for more years than I care to remember. However, 50 years ago the procedure was pretty simple and you couldn't even get to the tunnel unless you were a competitor in the next race.

There was a fenced in area that just overlapped the tunnel entrance, and this was the holding area for the up-coming race, and all cars had to be in there by a certain amount of time before the scheduled start of the race. You drove in through a gate at the bottom end of the area and passes were checked by an "official" to gain entry. At that point, a marshal would go to every car to ensure that the driver was fully aware of his grid slot -in those ancient days there was no such thing as a green flag lap; from the pit lane you drove around on a warming-up lap and then drove around to form up on the grid for the start.

Meanwhile back in the collection area, the cars would be held there, and the bottom entry gate would be closed and locked. Then, when the cars of the race which had finished, drove back through the tunnel, a gate at the top, which was opposite the tunnel exit,was unlocked and opened so that those cars could drive straight through and back into the paddock. when the last one had gone through, the gate would be locked again, and we who had been waiting would be allowed to enter the tunnel.

As I say, I haven't seen the inside of the paddock for donkeys' years, but surely something simple like that could be re-introduced and just adapted to the way the cars are handled currently.
Old 17 Jun 2014, 17:41 (Ref:3423142)   #73
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I don't think it needs so many drastic measures that will push up prices to the end user, just ensure the gate to the circuit is closed once all competitors are on the track (probably done already) and terms for using pit garages to include that the rear shutters must be down if no cars in the garage and a clear path exits for a vehicle and this will be the responsibility of the competitor, not too much to ask or back up their trucks to ensure the same thing, job done and costs nothing!
Wasn't the garage he drove through the one they use for weighing in parc ferme? As for shutting the garage doors you generally cant get to the rear doors by the time everyone has parked up.

If we are going to have draconian measures then the simple one would be to have competitor wrist bands to drive through the tunnel or better still close the outer paddock to all spectators and only allow two vehicles per competitor only admitted with paddock passes.
Old 17 Jun 2014, 17:49 (Ref:3423146)   #74
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nothing fundamentally needs to change at any race meeting..

Generally the normal sane individual employs reasoned and rational behaviour…You can never put measures in place for the idiot..

The measures for this idiot are very clear..The full weight of the law needs to be levied and a suitable sentence, heavy fine and civil action needs to be pursued. in this way a very strong , clear message is sent out to the world at large……Your world is going to fall in on you if you are stupid at a race meeting..

The thing that definitely should not happen is that we over police or think too hard about what might be changed for an incident which happens very very infrequently..Certainly the last thing we should be doing is questioning marshals or circuit volunteer staff, or indeed giving rise to the faintest possibility of putting any potential volunteers of doing this job because of the actions of a very very small mindless minority..

Darwin theory at its purest here..You just have to take one look at his Facebook page to see exactly what kind of low life this person is!

N.
Old 17 Jun 2014, 18:11 (Ref:3423154)   #75
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
There wouldn't be much point in prosecuting him as he probably has string of ASBOs as long as his arm and no doubt he'd get legal aid so we'd end up paying for it anyway.

Last edited by Tim Falce; 17 Jun 2014 at 18:23.