Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Aug 2020, 21:49 (Ref:3995846)   #1801
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Plus one to this!

Ted however adds something to any good to any coverage team imo.
I get quite tired of his and Crofts dulcit smart arse one-up-manship though. Ted should stick to what he does best, bringing updates and facts and not lower himself to competing with Croft! He is better than that.
Old 18 Aug 2020, 14:10 (Ref:3996231)   #1802
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Forgotten? Despite the Murrayisms while he was commentating, I always thought his knowledge was encyclopaedic.
It's just a turn of phrase. It means he has known more and potentially forgotten more than others in his lifetime. On the contrary, from the last I saw of Murray Walker, some years ago and with him now at almost the sprightly age of 97, he has not been afflicted by loss in that department.
Old 18 Aug 2020, 20:14 (Ref:3996292)   #1803
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
His mother lived till she was 101 and with Murray living a clean life, there’s every chance he will too
Old 25 Aug 2020, 14:47 (Ref:3997889)   #1804
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Walker never struck me as having an encyclopedic knowledge of the sport. Indeed he get roasted hat one time he did Mastermind. Minute detail was never his thing - and I liked that. That's what I want from a lead commentator. I don't want to be flooded with minutae.

Walker had a circle around each team and driver and was aware of their dramas. That and reading the gaps between drivers is what I want. After that he described the action with an enthusiasm and seriousness. To Walker, a Grand Prix was a serious, dangerous event to be excited about. He had his few quips but he didn't weigh down his takes with an overbearing cheesy DJ wit.

Croft is a fair guy and I'm not going to complain too much having been traumatised by Jonathan Leggard. But this business where commentators think the job is akin to a daytime radio DJ is something that can wear a bit thin. You're not there to be comedians, fellas.
Old 26 Aug 2020, 07:07 (Ref:3997993)   #1805
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Croft is a fair guy and I'm not going to complain too much having been traumatised by Jonathan Leggard. But this business where commentators think the job is akin to a daytime radio DJ is something that can wear a bit thin. You're not there to be comedians, fellas.
This I 100% agree with. Croft isn't incredible, but he does the job. He does fall into radio DJ territory too much. I guess I overlook that, because in sportscars it's gone so far into that area it is insane. Where some commentators and journalists now think they are part of the sport and are more interested in their own personal goings on and reporting that nonsense than they are the series themselves.
Old 26 Aug 2020, 15:44 (Ref:3998106)   #1806
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There can be a difference between practice and qualifying.

Practice can be more chatty and irreverent. It would help as there isn’t always that much happening. But for qualifying and the race we it needs to be more professional, for want of a better word.

And, as is the case with a lot of TV sports coverage, you don’t have to talk all the time. We have pictures! And in the case of F1 a lot of graphics. Let us work some stuff out ourselves, it will build better understanding and enjoyment.
Old 26 Aug 2020, 15:55 (Ref:3998112)   #1807
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Practice can be more chatty and irreverent. It would help as there isn’t always that much happening. But for qualifying and the race we it needs to be more professional, for want of a better word.
I think there is also the case of how often the content is likely to be viewed / listened to again in the future.

In the case of qualifying - aside from some really dedicated fans or a really significant incident - there is little chance of anyone replaying the footage.

In the case of the qualifying, and particularly the race, there is a much higher chance that the footage will be replayed at some point, or used in another context.

There are many snippets of race footage from F1 that you hear used on news / documentaries or other mediums. I am not aware of much FP footage getting a second airing....
Old 26 Aug 2020, 17:33 (Ref:3998136)   #1808
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
i think as a percentage of audience taking race as 100% quali might get 40% but free practice will be well down on that certainly in single figures
Old 27 Aug 2020, 14:28 (Ref:3998311)   #1809
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Obviously the more dedicated would give time for free practice, so you cater for that and also use the quiet moments in the session to bring people up to date with the latest goings on
Old 28 Aug 2020, 10:35 (Ref:3998478)   #1810
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crofty this morning during free practice said 'more hotter' the man is a moron only surpassed by Alastair Eykyn on BT Sport rugby.
Old 28 Aug 2020, 12:11 (Ref:3998487)   #1811
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Heres an interesting question, why do SKY & others use the old engine sounds when advertising upcoming races? Noticed it with their advert for Spa this weekend, they use the V8 engine sound in the adverts.
Old 28 Aug 2020, 12:56 (Ref:3998493)   #1812
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Heres an interesting question, why do SKY & others use the old engine sounds when advertising upcoming races? Noticed it with their advert for Spa this weekend, they use the V8 engine sound in the adverts.
To generate excitement?
Old 28 Aug 2020, 15:27 (Ref:3998518)   #1813
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Crofty this morning during free practice said 'more hotter' the man is a moron only surpassed by Alastair Eykyn on BT Sport rugby.
That’s a nasty comment about them.
Old 28 Aug 2020, 15:56 (Ref:3998526)   #1814
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
To generate excitement?
Perhaps they could use that on formula e, for sure it needs something to generate excitement
Old 28 Aug 2020, 16:05 (Ref:3998527)   #1815
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
There is a general decline in the standard of English, with people actually writing could of or would of, instead of could've or would've.
Old 28 Aug 2020, 16:15 (Ref:3998530)   #1816
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
There is a general decline in the standard of English, with people actually writing could of or would of, instead of could've or would've.
Detestable, absolutely hate it
Old 28 Aug 2020, 16:56 (Ref:3998534)   #1817
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Detestable, absolutely hate it
My wife who belongs to the spelling police was a legal PA at a large public school until retiring is an absolute stickler for correct spelling and grammar, she carries a marker pen with her and will correct signs and adverts on boards beside the road her pet hate is the "apostrophe" on such signs as "potato's and egg's
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 28 Aug 2020, 19:27 (Ref:3998553)   #1818
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
My wife who belongs to the spelling police was a legal PA at a large public school until retiring is an absolute stickler for correct spelling and grammar, she carries a marker pen with her and will correct signs and adverts on boards beside the road her pet hate is the "apostrophe" on such signs as "potato's and egg's
Brilliant! So pleased there are others out there upholding the grammatical standards.
Old 28 Aug 2020, 19:35 (Ref:3998555)   #1819
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I just hope she hasn't read this - you could be in trouble for the lack of punctuation and no capital letter where the second sentance should have started
Old 28 Aug 2020, 20:09 (Ref:3998559)   #1820
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
I just hope she hasn't read this - you could be in trouble for the lack of punctuation and no capital letter where the second sentance should have started
I was brung up just afta ww2 gov an only wento a secondairy skool. my teacher wos a bloke cald delta
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 28 Aug 2020, 23:27 (Ref:3998572)   #1821
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Standards really have slipped. Grammar in F1 commentary, politeness in forums...
Old 29 Aug 2020, 08:18 (Ref:3998607)   #1822
S griffin
Veteran

Crofty should have said 'even hotter', 'more hotter' isn't the correct grammar
Old 29 Aug 2020, 08:20 (Ref:3998608)   #1823
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Less cool.
Old 29 Aug 2020, 08:28 (Ref:3998609)   #1824
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Find it a bit odd that we're complaining about specific grammar stuff with Crofty, meanwhile Murray Walker was amazing for his Murryisms.

It's fine not to like Crofty, of course. But the reasons seem...odd. Because James Allen was usually spot on with his wording, but also a horrendous commentator.
Old 29 Aug 2020, 08:35 (Ref:3998612)   #1825
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't think I've ever heard this Crofty person so can't comment but I do recall Allen. Murray had an advantage over all others though, having seen the sport from the get go, he could draw on previous experiences to underline his points. And of course he was also self effacing with comments like "I make predictions that are immediately proved wrong." and "The car in front is unique except for the car following it." [paraphrased]

Tags
pinks