Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Sep 2002, 11:31 (Ref:375669)   #1
Barry Pomfret
Racer

Barry Pomfret should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodwood 2002

We went to the Goodwood Revival meeting yesterday, first time visit to Goodwood, what a fantastic day! The cars looked and sound fabulous, no debris fencing to obstruct your view and cars oversteering, anybody remember when they used to do that! The organisation was superb, we arrived mid morning and as a consequence were parked quite a distance from the entrance, this was solved by courtesy buses ferrying spectators to the main entrance. It was nice to see Barry Sheene out in the bike race, the spectators gave him a standing ovation to give him some support over his unfortunate illness.The racing was entertaining,unfortunately many spectators left prior to the long distance sports car race, which was probably the best race of the day. Desire Wilson in the C type had a great race and took fastest lap although she eventually retired with a car problem. The unofficial air display by the two Mustang pilots after the final race as dusk was falling was the icing on the cake, lets hope no CAA types were around,I would swear the first pass was well below the level of the trees! The courtesy bus not only returned us to the car park but delivered us to our own car! Great day, looking forward to next year. ( Just heading off to Duxford for the air display,a superb weekend of entertainment!)
Old 10 Sep 2002, 08:07 (Ref:377136)   #2
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I was there Saturday and Sunday Barry, great wasn't it. The air display on Sunday was even more spectacular!
Old 10 Sep 2002, 09:53 (Ref:377223)   #3
mike smith
Rookie

mike smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was there all three days, highlight of the event had to be the Cobra winning driven by Henri Pescarolo and Patrick Tambay with Emmanule Piro and Willie Green in hot persuit.
Darren Manning did a sterling job in the ex- Essex wire GT40
Old 10 Sep 2002, 09:58 (Ref:377227)   #4
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
just went Sunday this year . . . . .was it me or was it considerably busier this year? and a lot of people wherent adhering to the 'period look' while that doesnt bother me too much, it did mean the paddock lost a bit of the special feel it had.

highlight for me was the saloon car race, Loved the Anglia 100E, and the synchronised spins, both Rileys, I think
Jackie Oliver had a great drive in the A35 too
Old 10 Sep 2002, 15:26 (Ref:377474)   #5
paul.hickman
Racer

United States
uk, mallorca & florida...
paul.hickman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow! I’m still recovering from the best 3 days racing of the year (Classic Le Mans still to come).

Highlights? Well, where does one start? Tambay & Pescarolo in the Cobra – Bell & Percy in the Jaguars – Sheene, despite everything, giving with Gardner a really close demonstration of bike control – and finally Williams sideways in everything!!

If you are as old as me then some of the cars you remember first time round (just!) and if not you can imagine some of these beasts hurtling around the circuit without the sophistication we have today of engineering, tyres, track and safety arrangements… It must have been awesome!

The crowd were totally enthusiastic – cheer anything and really want to know what we marshals are doing and support us (my partner – a lady flaggie type – was handed an umbrella by a family on Friday to keep her dry whilst she waved at the cars!!).

All credit to Charles March and the team for making the dream a reality.

2003 can’t come too soon….
Old 10 Sep 2002, 19:58 (Ref:377601)   #6
COOPERMAN
Rookie

COOPERMAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I MUST ADMIT I DID ENJOY THIS YEARS MEETING I WAS A BIT SCEPTICAL ABOUT THE 50'S SALOON CAR RACE BUT ONCE UNDERWAY IT WAS A THRILLING AS EVER WITH THEM LIL A30'S AND A35'S MIXING IT WITH THE BIG BOYS...NOW I'VE GOT THE URGE TO GO AND TRY AND GET A MK1 LOTUS CORTINA AFTER SEEING TWO THAT WERE FOR SALE THERE!!