Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 22 Jul 2008, 15:52 (Ref:2255982)   #1
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
PC Driving Games for a N00b.

Now then Gamers,

I have ordered myself my first new Windows PC since the early 1990's (in fact, from memory, the machine I had back then was 2nd hand, so this is my first new computer ever!). I've previously been using either a work supplied laptop or an elderly Alienware laptop running Kubuntu Linux, so my only gaming has been on consoles.

I'm a complete newbie regarding PC-based games, so am after a few recommendations of what I can run. Anything involving GT cars rather than Touring Cars or single seaters for preference, and using real life circuits (extree bonus points for Le Mans, the Nordschliefe and Francorchamps) rather than made up courses.

The spec of the machine is E4600 dual core (2.4ghz), 3gb RAM and 256mb ATI Radeon video card, running good old XP Pro (We Fear Change!).

Thanking You.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 16:18 (Ref:2255990)   #2
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi Trucko

First off - GTR2. It's a fully licenced 2003 and 2004 FIA GT sim with all the tracks of those years (that ticks the Spa box). There are mods to add Nordschliefe and Le Mans in addition to other cars and tracks, but there isn't as much variety of rFactor. Should be available near the bargain bin now, I saw it for ten quid on play.com. Well worth the money.

--

rFactor is basically a platform for mods, the content that comes with it is rather bland (other than the ARCA-style stock cars) and almost all fictional. However, it was designed with the intention of people modding it. There are mods for whatever floats your boat - single seaters in all shapes and sizes, 1979 F1, trucks, BRISCA, rallycross, lawnmowers - practically anything you could wish for apart from a Reliant Robin (the Trabant is in the works, BTW).

As far as sportscar mods are concerned, there is Sports Car Challenge, which is for all intents and purposes ALMS 2001 and 2002. Also there's the Epsilon Euskadi. Tracks wise you can get a decent variety from sites like rFactor Central and NoGrip.

One word of warning. rFactor is notorious for problems with mismatches online. These happen when you are running different versions of a mod, and cause problems with people being unable to join. The mods also can have some bizzare handling - garbage in, garbage out. It uses the same ISI physics engine as GTR2.

It's about £16 on a DVD, it can also be bought from their site.

--

Physicswise, neither are as good as Live For Speed. However LFS has no real-life tracks and only two real-life cars that most people would have heard of (BMW Sauber F1.06 and Formula BMW, separate circumstances to do with each).

The physics are very good, and the netcode is excellent. Your PC doesn't fall in to this category but it could probably run on a typewriter. There is no modding, but I guess that stops the mismatches. There's a free non-time limited demo, and the full thing is £24 from www.lfs.net.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 17:45 (Ref:2256037)   #3
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks, d_t, just what I was looking for...
Old 22 Jul 2008, 17:56 (Ref:2256044)   #4
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and if you want a hand just shout. i've been playing rfactor since it came out as a beta, GTR2 likewise (although i find it sucks online so haven't played it in months) and LFS. interesting you mentioned the netcode on LFS duke, i don't find it half as smooth as rfactor. i think most of the issues are poorly set up servers where someone thinks a 512k upload is fine for a 50 player server. if you find the good ones, both are ace fun online, certainly far more so than GTR2.
Old 30 Jul 2008, 16:49 (Ref:2260387)   #5
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How's it going Trucko?
Old 31 Jul 2008, 18:52 (Ref:2261161)   #6
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Woeful, Mate, Woeful.

My shoddy machine conked out yesterday, and I had to do a system restore back to its initial setup before it would startup.

I've 'won' a copy of GT Leg Ends of eBay for a couple of quid which should be here shortly.
Old 31 Jul 2008, 21:31 (Ref:2261281)   #7
S.Moss
Racer

England
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
S.Moss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus
I've 'won' a copy of GT Leg Ends of eBay for a couple of quid which should be here shortly.
Great game i must say, if you have rfactor you could download the HistoricX mod which is basically GTL cars but with better handling and awesome sounds but requires GTL disc to be in cd tray when installing. If you have GTR2 you can download Power n Glory, which is the kind of same idea, GTL in GTR2 but just aint as good
Old 7 Aug 2008, 07:29 (Ref:2264936)   #8
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mainly cos GTR's online playability is woeful!
Old 8 Aug 2008, 12:42 (Ref:2265867)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And when you've got the hang of all that, get on Ebay and buy yourself a real racing sim.......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PC-GAME-GRAND-...6.c0.m14.l1318
Old 8 Aug 2008, 18:35 (Ref:2266009)   #10
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
And when you've got the hang of all that, get on Ebay and buy yourself a real racing sim.......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PC-GAME-GRAND-...6.c0.m14.l1318
There appears to be some mistake, the motorcar pictured is missing its mudguards.