Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Nov 2016, 22:33 (Ref:3686857)   #151
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Ouch! Palmer third choice in that case!!
Old 10 Nov 2016, 00:30 (Ref:3686872)   #152
kpkorsager
Racer

Denmark
Vojens
kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!
I think that Palmer was 5th choise

1st. Ocon (Mercedes)
2nd Saint (RB)
3rd Hülkenberg
4th Magnussen
5th Palmer

Edit: Maybe even 6th if we look at Romain Grosjean
Old 10 Nov 2016, 09:05 (Ref:3686926)   #153
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpkorsager View Post

1st. Ocon (Mercedes)
2nd Saint (RB)
3rd Hülkenberg
4th Magnussen
5th Palmer

agreed, looks like he was the last man standing in a game of musical-chairs, but I must say I see next years 2017 Renault seat as a plum drive, they could do domething special once they sort the chassis, as the engine is now very close to the mercs.

so Renault now have a German and English driver, that should be a marketing guys dream when it comes to selling cars in the huge car markets that are Germany and the UK.......it should give them some good brand exposure.......personally I would not buy a Renault unless I was seriously desperate or deluded......but there are plenty of car buyers that will snap them up because of a cracking finance deal!........anyway lets hope this is justification for Renault to sell cars, therefore actually stay in the sport on a permanent basis instead of leaving every 5 years
Old 10 Nov 2016, 11:51 (Ref:3686942)   #154
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:

1st. Ocon (Mercedes)
2nd Saint (RB)
3rd Hülkenberg
4th Magnussen
5th Palmer

... and Pérez.

Point is that in the last few weeks he was #3 (I think) in the list for the 2nd seat.
Sainz, Perez and Grosjean had already declined and Magnussen had seat #1.
So 3rd in a list of 3 after Ocon and Magnussen.
Old 10 Nov 2016, 12:47 (Ref:3686951)   #155
LavidaLoca
Racer

LavidaLoca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

1st. Ocon (Mercedes)
2nd Saint (RB)
3rd Hülkenberg
4th Magnussen
5th Palmer

So basicly Gasly has never been in contention for this drive so why is this thread so called......?
Old 10 Nov 2016, 18:12 (Ref:3687002)   #156
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
I think he was in line for Reno or TR but **** his mouth off and blew it
Old 11 Nov 2016, 00:08 (Ref:3687066)   #157
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin magnussen on autosport.com
"It was my decision - I had an offer but not a good enough offer that I could take it," he said.

"If they'd committed to a longer contract I would probably have looked at that much more seriously.

"It was more the feeling of them not committing, taking so long and offering to so many drivers - I think at one point the Pope had an offer.

"It was a bit messy, so it was better for me to leave."
hehehehehe. oh snap.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report...ot-good-enough
Old 11 Nov 2016, 01:15 (Ref:3687077)   #158
kpkorsager
Racer

Denmark
Vojens
kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!
Well Magnussen learned the game well when he was droped by McLaren.

There is nobody that is closer to you but yourself.

Must have felt petty good just to have the luxery of saying "sorry guys. Not good enough"

Lets see. same time next year we will know if it was the right choise.
Old 11 Nov 2016, 15:49 (Ref:3687191)   #159
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
great thread name change!

i guess if there is anything to infer from this it is:

Pope to Renault,
Webber to Renault,
Webber is the Pope?
Old 11 Nov 2016, 16:03 (Ref:3687196)   #160
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
lol, it'd explain a LOT, particularly the god complex
Old 11 Nov 2016, 18:24 (Ref:3687229)   #161
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grosjean and Magnussen is a very tidy line up at Haas isn't it, as for Jolyon being 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th choice for the Renault seat, i very much doubt that he cares now.
Old 11 Nov 2016, 20:18 (Ref:3687253)   #162
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
no, but it's like when you get lads lurking round the club at chucking out time on a friday night looking for that girl they were trying to hook up with earlier in the night to see if they were drunk enough to go home with them
Old 11 Nov 2016, 23:36 (Ref:3687291)   #163
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
great thread name change!

i guess if there is anything to infer from this it is:

Pope to Renault,
Webber to Renault,
Webber is the Pope?
Since the Pope is Argentinian, perhaps is a way for Jose-Maria Lopez to be in an one-off race in F1 for 2017, since he has enough license points to run in any race of the season, due to his three consecutive WTCC championships.
Old 12 Nov 2016, 07:32 (Ref:3687374)   #164
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
no, but it's like when you get lads lurking round the club at chucking out time on a friday night looking for that girl they were trying to hook up with earlier in the night to see if they were drunk enough to go home with them
Without doubt the analogy of the year!
Old 12 Nov 2016, 07:47 (Ref:3687377)   #165
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With all the smugness on here that Palmer was so far down Renault's list, let's not forget that Magnussen wasn't offered much more - essentially the same deal but before Jo.
Old 12 Nov 2016, 11:25 (Ref:3687398)   #166
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
but all that does is justifies magnussen's decision to move on...
Old 12 Nov 2016, 16:44 (Ref:3687456)   #167
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
With all the smugness on here that Palmer was so far down Renault's list, let's not forget that Magnussen wasn't offered much more - essentially the same deal but before Jo.
And Kev decided that was a crap offer and left. Palmer wouldn't have dared do that at this stage of his career and as far as we know had no other options?

Maybe he coukd have had a rich dad bidding war with King for the Manor drive?
Old 12 Nov 2016, 19:02 (Ref:3687486)   #168
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jo was in contention at Force India. And I heard that he had opportunities at Sauber and Manor too. So he had every opportunity to stay in F1 if Renault didn't give him a second chance.

My point is that everyone bangs on so much about Kev, but he's demonstrated in two seasons that he's not the full package. Renault lumped him in with Palmer behind Grosjean, Ocon, Sainz, Perez and Hulkenberg on their wishlist. The team itself are pretty much saying that they regard both of their current drivers in the same way, and that's not very high.
Old 12 Nov 2016, 20:02 (Ref:3687495)   #169
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
Jo was in contention at Force India. And I heard that he had opportunities at Sauber and Manor too. So he had every opportunity to stay in F1 if Renault didn't give him a second chance.
I think that's a bit (?) exaggerated. He will probably have been on the Manor and Sauber shortlist, but it all depends on who else is on that list, and who is/are the preferred ones.

Sauber is known to prefer Ericsson and Nasr (if sponsor deal comes through)
Palmer may have been on the 'plan B"-list there".

Manor? No idea, but would be up against Wehrlain, Nasr (if no Sauber), Haryanto, King(?) and Gutierrez.

I am not so sure he would have grabbed a race seat if he turned down the Renault offer (and I'm quite convinced Renault knew that too)
Old 12 Nov 2016, 20:52 (Ref:3687501)   #170
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Sauber is simple. She will only think if money. Ability irrelevant