Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 8 Dec 2002, 23:39 (Ref:445908)   #1
rlinter
Racer

rlinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which Ferry Route?

I am sorting out my LM ferry bookings this week and normally use the easten routes however I am also investigating the western routes for a change.

I know about Le Harve and Caen however does anyone know about the Cherbourg or St Malo routes?

St Malo looks good on the map as it is closer the Le Harve and nearly all motorway.

Your thoughts please.
Old 9 Dec 2002, 08:35 (Ref:446140)   #2
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Personally I've always not considered the Cherbourg route as you still have a lengthy drive across France plus the longer ferry journey.
Old 9 Dec 2002, 13:25 (Ref:446273)   #3
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you look on www.lemans24hrs.info there is a cost comparasion there for the diffrent routes. Don't know how accurate it is but is may help.
Old 9 Dec 2002, 14:21 (Ref:446310)   #4
rlinter
Racer

Yup I saw that - not a bad site and by my calculations and those of autoroute they are pretty much there or there abouts with numbers.

Maybe my question should have been - What is the Atmos like into St Malo and Cherbourg and what is the drive like - I am going to be surrounded by orrible french school kids....
Old 9 Dec 2002, 15:32 (Ref:446343)   #5
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Why not do Dover/Calais and drive from there? The motorway connections are brilliant and don't forget ferries sail every 15 minutes or so and so you book the cheapest crossing, turn up early and they put you on the next boat at no extra cost...
Old 9 Dec 2002, 15:51 (Ref:446360)   #6
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Our prefered route is Newhaven-Dieppe, but we seem to have left it a bit late this year to book so will use dover. Stephen is right the Calais route to LM is alot better now than even a few years ago, but the motorway to Rouen is so boring. Dieppe to Rouen is much more fun and alot more senic.
Old 9 Dec 2002, 16:28 (Ref:446372)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Well I hope to see you guys there next year. I'm going to try and get on the marshals list with a few friends.
Old 9 Dec 2002, 17:26 (Ref:446422)   #8
rlinter
Racer

I have done the Calais, The Chunnel, Le Harve Dieppe and Caen over the years.

I just get feed up with the long drive (5hrs) from calais and fancied a change so looking at a map and the info on Lemans24hrs.info got me thinking that St Malo must we worth a look - I have no problems with a long crossing and a short drive (2h30ish) especially as the outbound leg will be overnight and I can get some sleep.

Has anyone used that route (portsmouth-St Malo) in recent years?

Nordic check out transmancheferries for Newhaven Dieppe as an alternative to Hoverspeed they are V.Cheap!!

Last edited by rlinter; 9 Dec 2002 at 17:27.
Old 9 Dec 2002, 20:51 (Ref:446523)   #9
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I guess it depends on what time you plan on getting to the coast and what day you want to get to LM.

Only done it once, 2001, by coach, from Manchester. Never again, though the MRI hostility was ok...

Definitely takes longer if you go for a western ferry route, but that's useful if you've had a longish drive in the UK and want a kip on the boat before getting behind the wheel again.

My choice for next year (I guess we should get planning!) will be either fly to Paris and hire a car/get the train (any special coaches/trains from Paris??), or drive with at least 2 drivers per car and do the quickest route - Dover/Calais and the autoroutes.
Old 9 Dec 2002, 21:50 (Ref:446570)   #10
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
The tranchmanche ferries may be cheap but their timing is awful. Last year we we booked that for a 4pm sailing back on Monday night and this was changed at the last minute to either 9.00am monday morning of 1.00am Tuesday morning. These were no good to us so we ended up driving back to Calais after much ranting at the operator.
So unless you are guaranteed to be on a Hoverspeed service I would not take that route.
As you know Caen is the shortest route, but I have also done Cherbourg and quite liked it. The road from Cherbourg to Caen is nearly all dual carriageway and although a little boring, generally takes less than an hour.
Some friends on mine have done St malo which is a much longer crossing and is therefore fine if you travel overnight and get a cabin, but is too long (12 hours I think) for a day crossing.
My favourite depends on what car I am driving. Last year we went back to Calais and I was in a very fast car and travelled up to autoroute at ***mph and loved every minute. But normally I am in a 40 year old Austin Healey, in which I prefer to go to Caen and take it more easy.
Old 9 Dec 2002, 22:24 (Ref:446600)   #11
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No I will be on the coach again, so it will be Dover/Calais on the Friday night, in fact I am booking it on Friday.................
Old 9 Dec 2002, 22:50 (Ref:446622)   #12
rlinter
Racer

Talking of flying it is possible to fly to Rouen & Tours now from stanstead and the way the timings work out you could theortically get the morning flight on raceday fron Stanstead to Rouen and hire a car then get the late flight back on sunday and be back at stanstead for 11pm and the best bit is it is cheap as it is a BUZZ route!!
Old 9 Dec 2002, 23:00 (Ref:446633)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Caen is good as it is only a couple of hours from Le Mans. But we normally do Calais as we like the longer drive. I seem to remember tickets had got quite expensive for the long crossings at Le Mans time.
Old 10 Dec 2002, 07:24 (Ref:446776)   #14
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Another Friend of mine, flys into Lemans airport on Saturday morning and leaves shortly after the race on Sunday. An expensive trip but good if you cant spare the time!
Old 10 Dec 2002, 08:18 (Ref:446797)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've done Le Havre, Caen, Cherbourg and St Malo over the years. These days we tend to go to Le Havre, but Caen remains my favourite.
Old 10 Dec 2002, 08:26 (Ref:446800)   #16
FG1
Veteran

FG1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
(any special coaches/trains from Paris
The TGVs run from Paris Montparnasse (sp?) to Le Mans with reasonable regularity and take less than an hour.

Car hire in France is not cheap.

FG