Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 19 Aug 2017, 06:37 (Ref:3760334)   #276
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
If the GT event is on Fox, and on the 1 hour highlight package on #10, and its on the Supercar card, is the time of the start the real issue, or the excuse?
Excuse for what?

I wonder what the Fox Sports ratings are at 7.30am on a Saturday morning GTR?

1 hour highlights packages are also available via Speedweek - I am not sure the #10 offering is such a point of difference.

I understand a big concern for the teams is the condensed schedule, being parked up on the skid pan, given little access to pit garages during the race / 'pit buddys' for a 17 car grid and then being 'locked in' until 5.30pm this evening.

Not a great experience.
Old 19 Aug 2017, 06:43 (Ref:3760335)   #277
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Excuse for what?

I wonder what the Fox Sports ratings are at 7.30am on a Saturday morning GTR?

1 hour highlights packages are also available via Speedweek - I am not sure the #10 offering is such a point of difference.

I understand a big concern for the teams is the condensed schedule, being parked up on the skid pan, given little access to pit garages during the race / 'pit buddys' for a 17 car grid and then being 'locked in' until 5.30pm this evening.

Not a great experience.
its a good theory, but only one of the enduro races is on the supercars bill. So we would expect good grids at the other rounds. But PI was just 19 cars. Im thinking you are making a strawman for bigger issues,

The excuse last time was cars being damaged, does that still not hold? I think probably not anymore.

The test will be in NZ, then we will now
Old 20 Aug 2017, 01:51 (Ref:3760487)   #278
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it good for Australian motorsport if Supercars end up having their fingers in so many category pies?

Why aren't CAMS putting a cap on how many CMA's one organisation can control?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
I understand a big concern for the teams is the condensed schedule, being parked up on the skid pan.
They weren't even on the skid pan, they were squeezed into the little paddock of the South circuits small pit area.... the sight of GT teams having to remove & push all their equipment from the pitlane all the way up the tunnel through all the fans and competitors cars looked both dangerous and ridiculous

It looked like it would have been fun trying to get all the trucks out of that area as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
If the GT event is on Fox, and on the 1 hour highlight package on #10, and its on the Supercar card, is the time of the start the real issue, or the excuse?
If you owned a GT car, would you bother if your national championship counting event was held at 7:30am on a Saturday morning with no spectators, no atmosphere, not to mention you'd have to get to the track to start getting things ready at what, 5am at the latest?

I wonder what the crowd was like for the race too?
Old 20 Aug 2017, 03:01 (Ref:3760493)   #279
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
its a good theory, but only one of the enduro races is on the supercars bill. So we would expect good grids at the other rounds. But PI was just 19 cars. Im thinking you are making a strawman for bigger issues,

The excuse last time was cars being damaged, does that still not hold? I think probably not anymore.

The test will be in NZ, then we will now
Pecky - I dont think anyone is suggesting that the SMP v8 round itself is causing a decline in entries?

The whole schedule debate has be raging since February - sprint & endurance.

As for accident damage - cars like the Objective McLaren, Bates AMG, Miedecke Aston, Koundouris Audi havent been seen since there respective accidents.

Teams clearly dont have the time, energy or budgets to be fixing/replacing cars every 2 or 3 rounds.

I dont think NZ will be the test. Round 1 2018 will be the test.
Old 20 Aug 2017, 03:19 (Ref:3760494)   #280
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's a handful of other cars missing off that list, not to mention the several current spec cars on the market.
Old 20 Aug 2017, 03:30 (Ref:3760496)   #281
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post

If you owned a GT car, would you bother if your national championship counting event was held at 7:30am on a Saturday morning with no spectators, no atmosphere, not to mention you'd have to get to the track to start getting things ready at what, 5am at the latest?

Scudd has stated on this forum in the past that he gives no consideration to the paying spectator. He races for his own enjoyment and doesn't care about the spectators.
Old 20 Aug 2017, 03:39 (Ref:3760497)   #282
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm sure context is important.
Old 20 Aug 2017, 03:48 (Ref:3760499)   #283
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
There were 44 people in the grandstand around the first set of scheduled stops, I counted them from the pitlane while geared up and waiting (and waiting) for our car to pit
Old 22 Aug 2017, 07:33 (Ref:3760875)   #284
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quinn Confirms AGT To Change Category Manager
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 22 Aug 2017, 07:36 (Ref:3760876)   #285
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
As regular GT competitor numbers have fallen over recent events, GT management has faced building pressure to resolve the future direction of the category and it has been an open secret that long time backer and GT boss Tony Quinn has lost the support of some GT team owners, hence the drop in regular competitor numbers.

Quinn indicated to competitors during the Townsville race weekend that his leadership of GT racing was coming to an end, without going into any details.
Fascinating.
Old 24 Aug 2017, 03:01 (Ref:3761306)   #286
D.R.T.
Veteran

Sad
Old 2 Sep 2017, 04:49 (Ref:3763670)   #287
Umai Naa
Veteran

I read with interest that RenaultSport has just launched a new Megane TCR car.

Also, VW have sold their first TCR Golf to the TCR UK series which kicks off next year. Sources say these cars sell for £95,000 for the DSG cars, and £115,000 for the SQ-box'd ones.
Old 2 Sep 2017, 11:42 (Ref:3763745)   #288
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
The car has nothing to do with Renault Sport.

Quote:
Swiss team Vukovic Motorsport has unveiled a newly constructed Renault Megane of TCR specification, built with authorisation from the French manufacturer.

https://www.touringcartimes.com/2017...enault-megane/

Quote:
Also, VW have sold their first TCR Golf to the TCR UK series which kicks off next year. Sources say these cars sell for £95,000 for the DSG cars, and £115,000 for the SQ-box'd ones.
95k Euro & 115k Euro

Source: http://www.volkswagen-motorsport.com/index.php?id=2558
Old 2 Sep 2017, 13:10 (Ref:3763781)   #289
Umai Naa
Veteran

I shall re-assess my sources for that corner of the globe. Thanks.
Old 2 Sep 2017, 13:11 (Ref:3763782)   #290
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Looks good! Shame it's not an official RenaultSport car.
Old 2 Sep 2017, 13:12 (Ref:3763783)   #291
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
95k Euro & 115k Euro
170,000AUD which seems steep for a souped-up production based VW Golf. But it does have nice kit with the fancy shock absorbers, ECU, sequential gearbox and everything else.
Old 2 Sep 2017, 13:52 (Ref:3763798)   #292
Umai Naa
Veteran

Surprising how roadcar-like the engine bay is in the Golf. Only noticable differences are the airbox and the intercooler.
Old 2 Sep 2017, 14:34 (Ref:3763808)   #293
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Surprising how roadcar-like the engine bay is in the Golf. Only noticable differences are the airbox and the intercooler.
Makes you wonder somewhat where the 95k Euro goes!
Old 2 Sep 2017, 23:17 (Ref:3763919)   #294
Umai Naa
Veteran

Presumably into everything else that bolts to the car.

The dampers, fire suppression, dry-break fuelling, cage, etc wouldn't be done half-arsed.

Not to mention the aftersales support they offer.
Old 4 Sep 2017, 01:00 (Ref:3764315)   #295
Mixer
Veteran

Still the numbers don't really stack up, given the price cap, it is a bit of a cartel.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 4 Sep 2017, 09:02 (Ref:3764411)   #296
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Still the numbers don't really stack up, given the price cap, it is a bit of a cartel.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Well, they also have to defray their development costs, i.e. stuff like wind tunnel hours, track tests, time on the shaker rig - and the associated man hours.
Old 4 Sep 2017, 22:37 (Ref:3764575)   #297
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Well, they also have to defray their development costs, i.e. stuff like wind tunnel hours, track tests, time on the shaker rig - and the associated man hours.
Indeed. When developing and building a new car not everything is a tangible product such as car parts etc. The manpower and resources used to develop the car has to be paid for somehow.
Old 10 Sep 2017, 05:03 (Ref:3765769)   #298
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Super Tourers are baaaaaack...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 10 Sep 2017, 10:41 (Ref:3765833)   #299
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Super Tourers are baaaaaack...
Interesting to see how many cars they can get. I'm a bit surprised it's happening, I didn't think the interest would be there to run them here from a historic aspect. I should be at this event with the Superkarts, so hopefully a good number of Super Tourers are there too.

Maybe we can get a bit retro when this event comes around and revive the "02 astc" thread
Old 10 Sep 2017, 10:45 (Ref:3765835)   #300
Umai Naa
Veteran

There's chat of a few cars from NZ coming over, but yeah I can't see any meaningful grid numbers.