Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Closed Thread

Old 4 Mar 2008, 16:52 (Ref:2144270)   #51
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds more like political posturing.

The race starts WAY before the Green flag drops.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 17:06 (Ref:2144276)   #52
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
...and i've never known the Audis to sand bag a little bit.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 19:14 (Ref:2144378)   #53
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The GT2 Class for this years 12 h of Sebring is shaping up very nicely and appears quite balanced to provide fans with a very interesting and entertaining race. It appears there will be 6 Porsches, 5 Ferraris and 5 Viper/Panoz/Corvette/Ford/Aston Martin-s. It will be very interesting to see if the Viper/Panoz/Corvette/Ford/Aston Martin can get into the fray and make themselves a big part of the show.

DK
Old 4 Mar 2008, 19:45 (Ref:2144397)   #54
whitec21
Racer

United States
Las Vegas, NV
whitec21 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1
It will be very interesting to see if the Viper/Panoz/Corvette/Ford/Aston Martin can get into the fray and make themselves a big part of the show.
DK
If it were the GT2 Aston, then I would say maybe, but they don't have a chance with the GT3 car. As for the others, no way.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 19:59 (Ref:2144415)   #55
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitec21
If it were the GT2 Aston, then I would say maybe, but they don't have a chance with the GT3 car. As for the others, no way.
While I will agree that Panoz had a really lousy year last year, there were a few races where they were competitive and Sebring is the type of track where that car can compete, so I wouldn't dismiss them so quickly. Certainly the others are unknowns.

DK
Old 4 Mar 2008, 20:50 (Ref:2144442)   #56
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm thinking that panoz might do a bit better this year...
Old 4 Mar 2008, 22:00 (Ref:2144492)   #57
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
Sounds to me like Audi have conceded that the Peugeot is the quicker car before they've even locked horns!
Well, considering the Audi only has "near 650-hp" in their car, of course they'll be slower than the Peugeot that was benchmarked at 730 hp last year.

... then again, maybe in Audispeak, 700 is "near" 650. I suppose one could point out they didn't say "almost."
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 4 Mar 2008, 22:48 (Ref:2144522)   #58
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
Well, considering the Audi only has "near 650-hp" in their car, of course they'll be slower than the Peugeot that was benchmarked at 730 hp last year.

... then again, maybe in Audispeak, 700 is "near" 650. I suppose one could point out they didn't say "almost."
I bet, if you benched the two engines, they'd be pretty identical.

My bets are on the Pug, though. I just reckon they have a better line up, and over 12 hours they should be reliable.

cursed!
Old 4 Mar 2008, 23:57 (Ref:2144556)   #59
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Definitely think it will be a close one, prob not like GT2 last year, but think the Audi experience will win out over a prob faster average lap but more pit time of the Pugs.
Old 5 Mar 2008, 00:03 (Ref:2144560)   #60
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugewally
I'm thinking that panoz might do a bit better this year...
Old 5 Mar 2008, 01:10 (Ref:2144590)   #61
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96
Definitely think it will be a close one, prob not like GT2 last year, but think the Audi experience will win out over a prob faster average lap but more pit time of the Pugs.
Hmmm...I don't think there will be more pit time- if it fails, it'll fail, but the pit crew will match Audi's, I reckon. I don't think they'll have niggles, it'll be a bang rather than a whimper. Peugeot aren't going to Sebring for a whipping or a laugh, they're there to make an impact.
Old 5 Mar 2008, 01:27 (Ref:2144597)   #62
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
Hmmm...I don't think there will be more pit time- if it fails, it'll fail, but the pit crew will match Audi's, I reckon. I don't think they'll have niggles, it'll be a bang rather than a whimper. Peugeot aren't going to Sebring for a whipping or a laugh, they're there to make an impact.
Yes and no. I would have thought if they were really serious they'd bring both cars. But, it should be a good race none the less.
Old 5 Mar 2008, 01:35 (Ref:2144603)   #63
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
Yes and no. I would have thought if they were really serious they'd bring both cars. But, it should be a good race none the less.
That is the curious thing. Maybe they only have 3 chassis, and can't risk only having one at the opening round of the LMS (in case of a big accident or something at sebring), because US isn't even a Peugeot market?
Old 5 Mar 2008, 01:37 (Ref:2144606)   #64
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
It has been a non-committal committal.

We may not even know what the score is until an hour or two into the race. I for one am fascintated by the entire process.

robert
Old 5 Mar 2008, 01:46 (Ref:2144616)   #65
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
It's a very good point. How much of the team is out there, ie is it a full team but only one car, or half a team, or what?
Old 5 Mar 2008, 02:01 (Ref:2144622)   #66
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
can we talk sebring support races here or is that not allowed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen

i would have liked to see both cars as well but suspect the French have come to fight!
Old 5 Mar 2008, 07:37 (Ref:2144699)   #67
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Who exactly is Marco Andretti . Is he Micheals son , or what ?

Whats his form like ?
Old 5 Mar 2008, 08:15 (Ref:2144718)   #68
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Who exactly is Marco Andretti . Is he Micheals son , or what ?

Whats his form like ?
Yes, Michael's son, runs in the IRL. He's had some flashes of good driving, but he's still young and has made plenty of rookie mistakes.
Old 5 Mar 2008, 08:24 (Ref:2144722)   #69
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
My bets are on the Pug, though. I just reckon they have a better line up,
cursed!
I am sorry but I disagree here - McNish and Kristensen are to me the best two sportscar drivers on the planet at the moment and Dindo is way up there. There is no stronger line up than this.

12 Hours at Sebring is a tough test I wouldnt be surprised at all to see Audi take the win here. But I do think the Peugeot is the faster car on a clear circuit - but in traffic Mc Nish and Kristensen are capable of making up the difference.
Old 5 Mar 2008, 09:33 (Ref:2144768)   #70
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
I am sorry but I disagree here - McNish and Kristensen are to me the best two sportscar drivers on the planet at the moment and Dindo is way up there. There is no stronger line up than this.

12 Hours at Sebring is a tough test I wouldnt be surprised at all to see Audi take the win here. But I do think the Peugeot is the faster car on a clear circuit - but in traffic Mc Nish and Kristensen are capable of making up the difference.
I agree entirely.........Le Mans 2007 (if proof were needed). Possibly (now Kristensen is happy to share a car with Nishy) the strongest driver combination we have ever seen.
Old 5 Mar 2008, 13:12 (Ref:2144904)   #71
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Apologies if this has been mentioned....

Anyone know if Radio Le Mans/Globecast are going to be streaming commentary over the 'net for Sebring? (qually and race?)
Old 5 Mar 2008, 13:16 (Ref:2144908)   #72
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
There's a globecast-link on the ALMS-website under "next event" so I think there will be commentary...
Old 5 Mar 2008, 14:48 (Ref:2144947)   #73
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
and rember, those drivers are there in the RACE for several reasons while we are here on the puter boards.

Cheer them on, who ever they are.

What are you saying I race too -

Last edited by dj4monie; 5 Mar 2008 at 14:52.
Old 5 Mar 2008, 15:13 (Ref:2144965)   #74
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Some ALMS fans should go hug a Corporatist, the love of "rich" people is actually madding.

Since Jansen wants no Walter Mitty talk in this thread I shall appease him...

The only race worth really talking about is handicapping GT2, mostly professional teams and drivers where owners know their place and its not in the "lead" car, thank you Jim Tafel...

I favor Risi for a repeat and not nearly as close as last season. Porsche still has to prove they have a car that can stay on pace on old tires, something they were not able to do last season for the most part.

While Ferrari teams regularly double and triple stinted tires and Melo running some of his fastest laps on 3 stint old tires, Porsche teams where forced to change after 2 stints and it was only a late race stop by FL (if I remember) that even put Jorg in a position to challenge for a win and he actually had no reason to be "sore" about it. Just imagine his reaction if Tony Stewart dropped kicked his butt into the Daytona infield at 190mph... -

The 2nd Risi car has just as much a chance to double up the field for a 1-2 finish just as much as Flying Lizard.

Its going to be a battle royal mostly not seen by the masses and constantly interrupted by the Craftsman Truck series and Sprint Cup qualifying...

A little more than 10 days to go and I am ready for the season to start....
Old 5 Mar 2008, 15:30 (Ref:2144975)   #75
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
From what I've heard, Sebring is gonna have like 8-11 hours shown live this year.

But then again, NASCAR is Fox's cash cow in sports right now, and Fox owns Speed TV, though Speed is doing a lot more so far this year to promote their ALMS/GARRA stuff than at this time last year. Maybe Speed/Fox is responding to crticisim from viewers that sportscar racing hasn't been getting enough coverage.
Closed Thread