Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 18 May 2017, 09:00 (Ref:3734207)   #1651
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Best all round car I've ever had has been a 1995 Corsa with a 1500 Isuzu diesel in it that's been in the family nearly 20 years now. My daughter hit a BMW up the backside with it and flattened the front. A new rad, bonnet, slam panel and wing and £350 later it was up and running again. Sadly the engine is now dying and where the cheap front panel has rusted badly so not worth repairing any more.
The newer Corsas I've been looking at have every conceivable bit of modern convenience and safety feature as standard and specced well above my top of the range Ghia X Mondeo. The downside is they seem to depreciate more than say a VW
Depreciation is good when you are buying Tim, and if you hang on to a Corsa as long as the old one you mention, who cares about residual value.?

Over the last few years I have hired Astra, Focus, some Citroen (don't know what) and a Corsa, and much preferred the latter. Simpler to drive without too many gadgets telling me what to do.
Old 18 May 2017, 09:18 (Ref:3734209)   #1652
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Simpler to drive without too many gadgets telling me what to do.
Or, as referred to in the divorce courts, a wife.
Old 18 May 2017, 09:26 (Ref:3734214)   #1653
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Viv, you truly are a complete dummy (no offence unintended) a bucket is simply a hole surrounded by tin. A bucket without any hole would be a tin.

Bauble BSC, BA, PHD, SoF.
baub, after wiping the tears from my eyes formed as a result of reading your Eulogy to the Vauxhall marque, I have a couple of questions for you as an obviously well read man and subsequently a tin expert:
1. Why is it when you open a tin of evaporated milk there is still some in there, surely it should have evaporated away?
2. Secondly, when opening a ½ pint tin of condensed milk do the contents only measure ½ pint, surely it should be more out of the tin?
I look forward to your expert, erudite explanation & solution to these problems which have troubled me for some time...
Old 18 May 2017, 11:21 (Ref:3734240)   #1654
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Challenge for someone. Reading are in the final at Wembley 29th May. I'm racing at Pau that weekend and had planned to drive up to Zandvoort for the race the following weekend . What I. Red to do is leave the truck somewhere on route Sunday night or early Monday . Fly over for the game then fly back and continue to Zandvoort. Over to you for a plan . Thanks
Old 18 May 2017, 12:02 (Ref:3734246)   #1655
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Dammit i'm working that weekend otherwise I'd love to be your "truckie"
Old 18 May 2017, 12:12 (Ref:3734247)   #1656
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Challenge for someone. Reading are in the final at Wembley 29th May. I'm racing at Pau that weekend and had planned to drive up to Zandvoort for the race the following weekend . What I. Red to do is leave the truck somewhere on route Sunday night or early Monday . Fly over for the game then fly back and continue to Zandvoort. Over to you for a plan . Thanks
What is the size of your truck, Iain?
Old 18 May 2017, 15:32 (Ref:3734268)   #1657
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
baub, after wiping the tears from my eyes formed as a result of reading your Eulogy to the Vauxhall marque, I have a couple of questions for you as an obviously well read man and subsequently a tin expert:
1. Why is it when you open a tin of evaporated milk there is still some in there, surely it should have evaporated away?
2. Secondly, when opening a ½ pint tin of condensed milk do the contents only measure ½ pint, surely it should be more out of the tin?
I look forward to your expert, erudite explanation & solution to these problems which have troubled me for some time...
I too weep Viv, but for your complete lack of knowledge of Particle Physics, Thermonuclear Dynamics, Advanced Metallurgy, and cooking.
Clearly once milk has evaporated there is no milk left except as an invisible vaporous discharge, however, there remains a cream coloured residue of sticky, glutinous 'tin filler' which as the name suggests is used for filling tins. Therefore when you purchase from your local grocer a tin of Evaporated Milk you are indeed getting evaporated milk that has evaporated prior to the tin being filled with a cream coloured, sticky ........ Oh! What's the use, you wouldn't understand.
Old 18 May 2017, 15:37 (Ref:3734269)   #1658
bauble
Veteran

England
Do I read it aright? Delta wants to rush from some part of Europe to get back to, of all places, Reading in order to watch a togger match?

Well apparently Luton Town FC are also involved in some 'crunch' meeting tonight that will decide their fate in some obscure competition, so I shall be rushing off to Silverstone Village to spend an evening in convivial company at a hostelry there.

Maybe I am just as mad as Delta, after all.
Old 18 May 2017, 15:55 (Ref:3734272)   #1659
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I too weep Viv, but for your complete lack of knowledge of Particle Physics, Thermonuclear Dynamics, Advanced Metallurgy, and cooking.
Clearly once milk has evaporated there is no milk left except as an invisible vaporous discharge, however, there remains a cream coloured residue of sticky, glutinous 'tin filler' which as the name suggests is used for filling tins. Therefore when you purchase from your local grocer a tin of Evaporated Milk you are indeed getting evaporated milk that has evaporated prior to the tin being filled with a cream coloured, sticky ........ Oh! What's the use, you wouldn't understand.
Thank you for trying Baub. Obvious to me now why you were asked to join the children's TV programme HOW! in the late 60's with jack Hargreaves, Fred Dineage and Jon Miller. (Why did you call yourself Bunty James in those days? Was it just your stage name or was there more to it at the time?)
Link

Last edited by VIVA GT; 18 May 2017 at 15:57. Reason: Added link
Old 18 May 2017, 16:00 (Ref:3734273)   #1660
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Thank you for trying Baub. Obvious to me now why you were asked to join the children's TV programme HOW! in the late 60's with jack Hargreaves, Fred Dineage and Jon Miller. (Why did you call yourself Bunty James in those days? Was it just your stage name or was there more to it at the time?)
Link
Think you might have missed a word Viva. Should there be 'being' in front of trying in the first sentence?
Old 18 May 2017, 16:01 (Ref:3734274)   #1661
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Think you might have missed a word Viva. Should there be 'being' in front of trying in the first sentence?
Thanks for the tip John, but to be fair, Baub always is so I didn't see the need to emphasise the point...
Old 18 May 2017, 16:22 (Ref:3734277)   #1662
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
As you'll be pushed for time on the Sunday, could you leave the truck at Pau, get yourself to Toulouse and fly from there. Google maps says it's 2.39 hours by bus, alternatively use one of the cars and leave it in Toulouse airport or park the truck there
Old 18 May 2017, 17:50 (Ref:3734311)   #1663
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Think that's the best option Tim . Thankseveryone the Delta truck is 11 meters
Old 18 May 2017, 17:51 (Ref:3734312)   #1664
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
I should be able to leave in railway station
Old 18 May 2017, 18:19 (Ref:3734322)   #1665
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Too big for my drive! My thought was to find you somewhere secure here then could take you to Eurostar at Calais Frethun.
Old 18 May 2017, 20:19 (Ref:3734344)   #1666
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Just wondering if you could find someone who could arrange some parking on one of the many estates at the airport like here

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@43.64...2!8i6656?hl=en
Old 19 May 2017, 02:01 (Ref:3734373)   #1667
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Iain,

Surely you know someone or someone who knows someone with a helicopter or private plane?

They could fly out a relief truckie to babysit while you are away, bring you back to see the match, then take you back to the truck and fly the relief truckie home.

Simple.

Time to go through your phone book and call in some favours ...?
Old 19 May 2017, 06:42 (Ref:3734401)   #1668
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Iain,

Surely you know someone or someone who knows someone with a helicopter or private plane?

They could fly out a relief truckie to babysit while you are away, bring you back to see the match, then take you back to the truck and fly the relief truckie home.

Simple.

Time to go through your phone book and call in some favours ...?
To watch a FOOTBALL MATCH?

The world has gone mad. Mind you I suppose that would not be too much trouble to avoid having to watch one.
Old 19 May 2017, 07:47 (Ref:3734406)   #1669
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sky TV mobile app, subscription to Sky Sports, a wi-FI connection and an IPad.
Old 19 May 2017, 07:59 (Ref:3734410)   #1670
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Sky TV mobile app, subscription to Sky Sports, a wi-FI connection and an IPad.

Wouldn't that lot actually cost more than flying from Toulouse to London & back? Not to mention ruining your eyesight playing 'spot the ball' on a tiddly ipad screen...
Old 20 May 2017, 17:54 (Ref:3734699)   #1671
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
I finally got the new car for Mrs Tim, I just need to sort out what to do with the surplus 5 or 6.
Old 20 May 2017, 19:05 (Ref:3734712)   #1672
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Still on the subject of we've got a new-ish car. So no spare wheel, just a bottle of tyre weld and a compressor which could be a disaster as my wife gets a puncture at least every two months. I just fished all the CDs out of the loft so she could listen to them in her car, it has no CD player although it has DAB radio, blutoof, mp3 capability (whatever that is) and a USB port.
Old 20 May 2017, 19:14 (Ref:3734713)   #1673
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

The world has gone mad.
Well, yes Bob, obviously.

However seriously rich people probably don't think that way so to them it would mean little.

Anyone who can consider a £1billion bid for Arsenal, for example, must know a lot that I don't.

And the Japanese chap who has just paid several tens of millions of $s for some graffiti designs daubed by a young, long dead, junkie artist that hardly anyone is likely to have heard of, must know stuff about other matters of which I am entirely ignorant.

To settle on world madness as an explanation of everything seems like a perfect result of some measured reasoning to me.

World madness does indeed seem to be endemic these days.
Old 20 May 2017, 19:27 (Ref:3734717)   #1674
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Still on the subject of we've got a new-ish car. So no spare wheel, just a bottle of tyre weld and a compressor which could be a disaster as my wife gets a puncture at least every two months. I just fished all the CDs out of the loft so she could listen to them in her car, it has no CD player although it has DAB radio, blutoof, mp3 capability (whatever that is) and a USB port.
You don't need to worry about the tyre weld stiff Tim, just have a new wheel and tyre stored somewhere. No one realises tyre are punctured on new cars so a complete replacement system is likely the best option.

As I recall DAB radio may or may not be obsolescent and I read an headline yesterday that suggested the same for MP3 files - whatever they were.

We have the opposite problem. The daughters bought Management an iPod a couple of birthdays ago and with some considerable effort on their part "borrowed" and encoded all of Management's CDs that they could get hold of and loaded them on the said device ready for presentation.

On the day a load of other CD's were mentioned and these too were encoded and added to the device after some further effort by all.

The idea was to make a portable music collection - mainly for the car since that is the only place Management ever listens to music as far as anyone can tell. The car, being of an older generation, has a CD player and no socket for an iPod. So far as I know the iPod has not moved out of its box since it was returned with the updated (and now out of date) collection loaded.

We live in strange times.
Old 20 May 2017, 20:02 (Ref:3734725)   #1675
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
As I recall DAB radio may or may not be obsolescent and I read an headline yesterday that suggested the same for MP3 files - whatever they were.

We have the opposite problem. The daughters bought Management an iPod a couple of birthdays ago and with some considerable effort on their part "borrowed" and encoded all of Management's CDs that they could get hold of and loaded them on the said device ready for presentation.
After you mentioning MP3 files the penny dropped and the last time I copied CDs on to my computer, itunes decided it didn't like them and either deleted the lot of hid them in some clouds somewhere.
Bring back 8 track, life was simple then
Closed Thread