Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 1 Dec 2013, 20:17 (Ref:3338992)   #1
tator2001uk
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheshire
tator2001uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Coca Cola 600 Charlotte 2014

Hi There!

Been a fan for years of Nascar and for my 30th im thinking of a trip to Charlotte......any tips?? Is it busy busy there on race weekend...?
Any UK people ever been?

Thanks all
Old 1 Dec 2013, 23:09 (Ref:3339054)   #2
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Charlotte is a small enough town that you will see many, if not most, hotels booked up but not really notice a huge difference in people downtown. The track is 30-45 min drive from 'uptown' as they call it. It is a very nice and clean place though and the hall of fame is downtown as well. I believe Charlotte Motor Speedway is by far the nicest Nascar track.
Old 2 Dec 2013, 00:45 (Ref:3339077)   #3
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
R.Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tator2001uk View Post
Hi There!

Been a fan for years of Nascar and for my 30th im thinking of a trip to Charlotte......any tips?? Is it busy busy there on race weekend...?
Any UK people ever been?

Thanks all
Hello tator2001uk,

I've been to the World 600, (sorry, old name for the race, I'm a bit of a traditionalist) many times. It use to be somewhat an impromptu family reunion for my family. I liked it more when it was a day time race, but it is what it is. Tickets are a bit over priced, but you won't regret going to the race. You'll have a great time. The track, as J.Hamilton said, in located a bit North of Charlotte, in Concord, NC. Like he a also said, the NASCAR of Fame is in Charlotte. If you are going to be in the area, a couple of days before the race, it might be possible to tour some of the team shops. There is also allot of various activities leading up to the race. I would suggest planning on taking time to get to different places. Traffic can be a problem around Charlotte and around the track. It could very well be hot around there, as it is in the late Spring. Drink allot of water, make sure you're hydrated. Heat injuries are no fun. Also, use a high SPC sun block, as sun burns are very easy to get around there, in the daytime. Get to your seat, for the race early. That way, you won't have to hunt for your seat, you can see where the nearest restrooms, concession stands, etc., are. Food is pretty expensive there and isn't the best in the world. Rolaids, Tums or some other antacid are a necessity. As for the race, make sure you have earplugs, the cars are very loud and can damage hearing, if you do not use protection. During the race, do not consentrate on the leaders only, there is allot happening behind the leaders, allot of good racing for positions. Get your seats as high up in the grand stands as possible, The higher you are, the better view of the track you will have. Enjoy the race!
Old 2 Dec 2013, 10:58 (Ref:3339196)   #4
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
We went to Charlotte for the October race last year. We do NASCAR the easy way, by booking a package which includes hotel, race tickets, bus transport to & from the track, pit passes, etc. - not the cheapest way of doing it, but much less hassle!

Charlotte's a nice little track; sit high enough & you can see all of the track & races at Charlotte are run in the evening, which adds a lot to the already magical atmosphere of a NASCAR race.

Take plenty of time off & make a holiday of it - there's a lot to see in the Carolinas & Georgia! (Note the hint in my avatar!)
Old 2 Dec 2013, 18:39 (Ref:3339403)   #5
tator2001uk
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheshire
tator2001uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Thanks for the responces so far!

Dave have you any info on the websites you used or the people you rang?
I read about all of what you have said in the town and one of the reasons I want to go is for the atmosphere!

Hope I can stretch it a few days more!
Old 2 Dec 2013, 20:34 (Ref:3339442)   #6
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tator2001uk View Post
Dave have you any info on the websites you used or the people you rang?
These are the people we use:

http://www.raceawayhospitality.com/

We've used them four times now & have been completely satisfied.

Have you looked at flights yet? US Airways is starting direct flights from Manchester to Charlotte on May 22nd - the first flight from Manchester will be on May 23rd, which is a little on the tight side for a race on the 24th, but doable.
Old 3 Dec 2013, 02:11 (Ref:3339562)   #7
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
R.Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey tator2001uk,

I know it will most likely be a kind of busy trip for you, but if, by chance, you happen to get down to Georgia, contact me. Maybe you, J. Hamilton, myself and any other members from the area can meet for a meal, lunch or supper and have some good racing discussion, in person.