Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 27 Nov 2020, 18:48 (Ref:4019153)   #101
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Now there is a name from the past. God those Metros had that drool factor
Old 22 Aug 2023, 18:33 (Ref:4173683)   #102
mab01UK
Veteran

mab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

It wasn’t only Minis! The late Peter Baldwin had lots of success in MG Metros in the 80s…
Old 14 Sep 2023, 15:45 (Ref:4176635)   #103
hyde1380
Rookie

hyde1380 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bit of a long shot, my Dad recently passed away and I’m doing a bit of digging. He had a team in the metro turbo challenge. He was the was a director of klaxon and sponsored the enterprise racing team with Dave Loudon and paul Taft. Dave was at his funeral and thanked me for Dad giving him his first paid drive which was cool. I don’t suppose you know if any of the enterprise cars still exist or if anyone has any further info on them? My childhood was following the team round so would be great to find out a bit more
Cheers
Ben
Old 17 Sep 2023, 08:18 (Ref:4177007)   #104
MartinH
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
MartinH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mab01UK View Post
This was his Metro after the Silverstone crash, my late brother Steve was one of the first on the scene and thought Chris was a gonna.....had hit his head hard on the steering wheel and later ended up with a metal plate in his forehead I think.
I can't remember if Chris ever raced again, I know he wanted to get back racing in his Mini 7 and he was trying to work out how he could get his doctor to sign him up again for his racing licence, as he had some double vision as a result of the accident. Chris eventually retired to Spain but a few years later he fell ill and Steve and some other drivers paid and organised to get him brought back to the UK for hospital treatment. He died around 2001 or 2002 if memory serves me right?

I've just discovered this thread & loved watching the Metro series, buy boy did those cars fold up in an accident !
The original NCAP testing shows that the basic design was pretty weak & adding a roll cage didn't do much to imptove the situation.

Watch this. http://www.euroncap.com/tests/rover_100_1997/11.aspx ...

Or look it up on youtube if the link does'nt work !

Ouch !!
Old 22 Dec 2023, 11:10 (Ref:4189644)   #105
JamieGTi
Rookie

JamieGTi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Loved reading this thread about the Metro Challenge, certainly a highlight of my childhood. My good Friend Tina Cooper raced Metro Turbos in 89 I think, does anyone recall or have any pictures ?
Old 24 Dec 2023, 17:34 (Ref:4189789)   #106
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinH View Post
Ouch !!
As you say: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwGgRUkrnng The commercial already showed a crash test (Nigel Mansell at wheel): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL14nqc6vO8