Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 7 Oct 2016, 21:36 (Ref:3678244)   #1
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PRC signatures

For those who don't frequent FB threads.

A heads up for all, particularly those who don't bother getting PRC attendance and training signatures. This letter has been sent out by the MSA that appears to be directed to Ex Post Chiefs AT THE MOMENT. Quite a few of us (me included) haven't had a PRC signed for years and are now scrambling to obtain attendance evidence.

Dear Colleague,
Firstly, thank you for your continued support as an MSA Registered Marshal, your dedication, time and commitment to UK motor sport is hugely appreciated.
As you may be aware, there is a requirement within the MSA’s Marshals grading scheme for individuals to attend a minimum number of events and training days to maintain their grades. On occasion we do request PRC’s to ensure that they are kept up to date and events and training attendance is being recorded. As part of that process we would kindly request that you send us a copy of your PRC so that we can monitor your activity. If you have attended an event or events but not had your PRC signed can you please send in an alternative form of confirmation.
This information can either be sent in via the post (we would ask you not to send in your original PRC just in case they are lost in the post) or emailed to training@msauk.org and must be with the MSA by no later than Monday 17th of October.

Once again, thank you for your commitment and supporting the delivery of motor sport in the UK.

Kind regards,

Alan.
Alan Page ASET, GCGI
Training Executive
Motor Sports Association, Riverside Park, Colnbrook, SL3 0HG
+44 (0)1753 765120 / +44 (0)7765 585152 /alan.page@msauk.org

@msauk /msauk | www.msauk.org
Old 9 Oct 2016, 12:52 (Ref:3678644)   #2
AndyT
Racer

England
Peterborough
AndyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't see why they can't just accept a list of events attended like they do for the Grand Prix, or are PRC's going to be needed for GP volunteering in the future?
Old 10 Oct 2016, 07:25 (Ref:3678852)   #3
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A benefit of being a Steward is the MSA telling us where to go, so we don't have to get a signature to prove it
Old 10 Oct 2016, 07:55 (Ref:3678856)   #4
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
Can't see why they can't just accept a list of events attended like they do for the Grand Prix, or are PRC's going to be needed for GP volunteering in the future?
Maybe because it does not cover training signatures?
Old 10 Oct 2016, 08:30 (Ref:3678861)   #5
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
Can't see why they can't just accept a list of events attended like they do for the Grand Prix,
Maybe because a list of events attended isn't proof of attendance? How difficult can it be to get a card signed? It doesn't even have to be every meeting - to maintain a grade you only need to do four meetings per year, so four signatures will meet the MSA's requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
A benefit of being a Steward is the MSA telling us where to go
Not just the MSA. . .
Old 10 Oct 2016, 08:32 (Ref:3678862)   #6
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ha Ha very good
Old 10 Oct 2016, 19:31 (Ref:3679006)   #7
RNHodge
Rookie

United Kingdom
Never on dry land
RNHodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Copy and Paste:

Quote:
The MSA has recently communicated with a number of marshals requesting copies of their PRC cards for checking. We as the BMMC would like to support you in this process.

For most individuals a scanned copy of the relevant pages in your PRC will be sufficient to confirm the minimum requirements to maintain your current grade – evidence of working towards a further upgrade will be accepted as maintenance of existing grade.

For individuals who attend training days but do not have a signature in your card these records are held by the lead trainer from that day, or our BMMC Training officers and we suggest you advise the MSA of your most recent training day and Training coordinator and they will be contacted accordingly for this information.

If you maintain a separate electronic or hand written record of dates you have marshalled this will also be sufficient.* You will also be able to download a copy of your volunteering dates from the BMMC database – by clicking on ‘My Calendar’ and send this to the MSA.

As this is the first time the MSA has requested this information it is likely that they will request again from other individuals in the future. We therefore recommend that everyone maintains signatures in a PRC card. There are pages at the back for attendance only signatures and can be signed by anyone acting as post chief as it is only a note to say you attended. Training day signatures must be obtained from an MSA Trainer but again records are kept for these but could be added to the attendance section too. Continuation forms can be used and downloaded from the MSA website. Additional PRC cards will be made available at Training days.

Please do not be concerned if you are unable to meet the requirements as requested at this time – the MSA will not be removing grades from individuals and preventing you from marshalling. A further communication will be sent once this initial exercise has been completed.

I hope this is seen as a positive initiative by the MSA to recognise the benefits of their grading scheme and to support the clubs including the BMMC who administer the scheme on their behalf.

Your cooperation and continued support is much appreciated in ensuring the high standard of marshalling in the U.K. is achieved and maintained by all participants

Chris Hobson
BMMC National Chairman
*My bold.

My understanding is that any personal or volunteering database will suffice for attendence only. If upgrading then the conventional blue PRC will need to be seen.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 20:22 (Ref:3679020)   #8
Slipstick
Racer

United Kingdom
N. Staffs
Slipstick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh well as a permanent Trainee I guess this doesn't affect me. I'm pretty sure I can keep my Trainee status without any signatures (which is just as well because I haven't collected any for years).

Steve
Old 12 Oct 2016, 08:22 (Ref:3679477)   #9
McSatan
Rookie

United Kingdom
Stones Throw from Brands
McSatan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting. I haven't done any car marshalling for about 18 months, only Superbikes and MotoGP with Racesafe (track marshal flags/incident) I suppose I'd better get some car meetings done again if I want to keep my MSA track marshal status. I doubt they'll accept the bikes as relevant attendances, despite the similarities in duties.
Old 13 Oct 2016, 09:32 (Ref:3679715)   #10
Andy Johns
Racer

England
Salisbury
Andy Johns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I emailed Paula Brown, BARC officials' secretary, and she emailed back a list of meetings I had attended. I forwarded
this to the MSA and it was accepted.
Old 15 Oct 2016, 22:56 (Ref:3680321)   #11
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
Maybe because a list of events attended isn't proof of attendance? How difficult can it be to get a card signed? It doesn't even have to be every meeting - to maintain a grade you only need to do four meetings per year, so four signatures will meet the MSA's requirements.
Old 16 Oct 2016, 20:50 (Ref:3680754)   #12
Gerryc
Racer

United Kingdom
Aylesbury, Bucks.
Gerryc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As has been explained in various posts, getting proof of attendance will not be a problem. The problem will only arise for people who haven't attended any training for more than 2 years, but that is a self-inflicted problem. If you choose not to keep your knowledge and skills up to date then, in my opinion, you leave yourself open to the question as to whether you deserve your current grade - especially if that grade is one where you have a role in the education of other marshals, such as Examining PC.
Track limit changes spring to mind, as do the upcoming Code 60 rules and interpretations.
Old 18 Oct 2016, 19:16 (Ref:3681180)   #13
Richard Duvall
Racer

England
Rochford
Richard Duvall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this exercise has thrown up some flaws in the system. The current PRC seems to try and be an all encompassing document which has multiple sections in it that are irrelevant for many marshals' especially for those who are not upgrading. We sign on for every attendance, including training, and it surely would not be beyond the capability of the officials running our sport to collate those records to satisfy the attendance and training requirements for grade maintenance. For those upgrading, maybe there should be a specific form/card appropriate to the target grade.
Old 18 Oct 2016, 20:36 (Ref:3681196)   #14
lclarke
Rookie

lclarke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Duvall View Post
I think this exercise has thrown up some flaws in the system. The current PRC seems to try and be an all encompassing document which has multiple sections in it that are irrelevant for many marshals' especially for those who are not upgrading. We sign on for every attendance, including training, and it surely would not be beyond the capability of the officials running our sport to collate those records to satisfy the attendance and training requirements for grade maintenance. For those upgrading, maybe there should be a specific form/card appropriate to the target grade.

I'd agree with this as a trainee who just needs his upgrade signatures and to attend a training session . I would actually have no problem printing out my own sheet for the grade I'm targeting and stuffing that in the little black wallet. Makes lots more sense than a 30 page book which will take years to move on to certain pages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18 Oct 2016, 21:04 (Ref:3681203)   #15
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
The current PRC seems to try and be an all encompassing document which has multiple sections in it that are irrelevant for many marshals' especially for those who are not upgrading.

For those upgrading, maybe there should be a specific form/card appropriate to the target grade.
From the logistical point of view having a single document makes sense. If I've counted correctly, including "attendance only" the current card covers nine different permutations, so having specific cards for each of those would involve designing, printing & stocking nine different documents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lclarke View Post
I would actually have no problem printing out my own sheet for the grade I'm targeting and stuffing that in the little black wallet.
There is a continuation sheet available from the MSA's website & there's nothing to stop you scanning & printing your own sheets - of course, you'd need a new card to scan if you want to do that, which you can get by phoning the MSA Licencing Department. Unless you are that very rare creature, someone who can fulfill all the requirements for an upgrade with only the number of signatures the PRC has spaces for you're going to need some form of continuation sheet. . .
Old 20 Oct 2016, 12:56 (Ref:3681585)   #16
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Signing on in the morning provides no opportunity for your presence and performance in the duties allocated to you to be recorded.

Carrying a small booklet or even a sheet of paper and getting it signed isn't exactly difficult.

It is a marshal's responsibility to ensure that they are meeting the minimum attendance and training requirements for maintaining a grade in exactly the same way as it is a marshal's responsibility to meet the minimum attendance and training requirements if they wish to upgrade. In both cases being able to provide evidence is not unreasonable.
Old 21 Oct 2016, 20:02 (Ref:3681811)   #17
Gerryc
Racer

United Kingdom
Aylesbury, Bucks.
Gerryc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deley View Post
.....a marshal's responsibility to ensure that they are meeting the minimum attendance and training requirements for maintaining a grade in exactly the same way as it is a marshal's responsibility to meet the minimum attendance and training requirements if they wish to upgrade. In both cases being able to provide evidence is not unreasonable.

Totally agree.