Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 21 Jul 2018, 05:42 (Ref:3837780)   #151
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
???

Did Mr. Walkinshaw offer better services at a more attractive price to Holden or something?
More that Brock ****ed off Holden no end with the HDT Director and the polariser, and Walkinshaw stepping in to pick up the pieces.

You have to read the book to get the picture, suffice to say Brock gave Holden's no choice but to terminate the agreement at the time.
Old 9 Oct 2018, 23:29 (Ref:3855790)   #152
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Holden's Supercars plans up for review.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/10/10...e-before-2019/
Old 9 Oct 2018, 23:35 (Ref:3855792)   #153
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Holden's Supercars plans up for review.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/10/10...e-before-2019/
Here's hoping it is a simple extension... Camaro-free..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 10 Oct 2018, 00:09 (Ref:3855796)   #154
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How much longer will PSA keep the Insignia?
Old 10 Oct 2018, 01:33 (Ref:3855805)   #155
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Until the end of the model cycle.

So 4-6 years, is my guess.
Old 10 Oct 2018, 03:20 (Ref:3855812)   #156
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Wouldn't an all-coupe series be better?

Mustang vs Camaro vs Infiniti Q60

If I was Supercars, I'd change the name back to V8 Supercars since nobody will be taking up alternate engine options, bring in a coupe-specific COTF roll cage design and stump up the $500,000 each to homologate the Camaro and Infiniti Q60... A nice clear direction -- not pony cars vs mid-sized sedans... All terribly confused. Just make it all coupes.
Old 10 Oct 2018, 06:34 (Ref:3855837)   #157
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Wouldn't an all-coupe series be better?

Mustang vs Camaro vs Infiniti Q60

If I was Supercars, I'd change the name back to V8 Supercars since nobody will be taking up alternate engine options, bring in a coupe-specific COTF roll cage design and stump up the $500,000 each to homologate the Camaro and Infiniti Q60... A nice clear direction -- not pony cars vs mid-sized sedans... All terribly confused. Just make it all coupes.
Just adopt TA2, current REC holders maintain income from REC, new teams free to enter but won't receive REC income until next TV deal.

Almost guarantees a significant growth in field size and give teams like Matthew White Racing a chance to compete at the highest level.
Old 11 Oct 2018, 03:45 (Ref:3856048)   #158
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
ITs hard to know where motorsport goes from here.

I agree that is a bit hard to get passionate about COTF "Mustangs" vs these mystical RWD V8 "Commodores" and Nissans or whatever may come along. I mean they are so mutated from the road cars they are supposed to represent, they are basically sports sedans or Nascar or Transams,

I cant see "Dave the Drongo" getting all excited after the race and stirring his mate "my Mustang is better than your Altima"

But we have production bathurst at easter. I enjoy it but its a ramshackle bunch of old way falcons and commos and mismatch of hyundais toyotas too many BMWs. It is interesting for a little while, but watching FWD 4 cyls (some very old) beetling round a track isnt going to spark the imagination of the great unwashed for a full season.

So we have February GT3 race. I love this and it is gaining traction with car nuts and some petrol heads. But im not about to get all parochial or tribal for My audi vs your porsche or My Lambo vs your Ferrari. Again great to watch for a day but not a year long headline act.

Right now the only class im passionate about is TCM and Im very aware they are NOT historical racers, but modern race cars in an older body. And we desperately need someone to put an end to the Johnson/Bowe show it has become.
Old 11 Oct 2018, 04:28 (Ref:3856049)   #159
djr81
Racer

djr81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
ITs hard to know where motorsport goes from here.

I agree that is a bit hard to get passionate about COTF "Mustangs" vs these mystical RWD V8 "Commodores" and Nissans or whatever may come along. I mean they are so mutated from the road cars they are supposed to represent, they are basically sports sedans or Nascar or Transams,

I cant see "Dave the Drongo" getting all excited after the race and stirring his mate "my Mustang is better than your Altima"

But we have production bathurst at easter. I enjoy it but its a ramshackle bunch of old way falcons and commos and mismatch of hyundais toyotas too many BMWs. It is interesting for a little while, but watching FWD 4 cyls (some very old) beetling round a track isnt going to spark the imagination of the great unwashed for a full season.

So we have February GT3 race. I love this and it is gaining traction with car nuts and some petrol heads. But im not about to get all parochial or tribal for My audi vs your porsche or My Lambo vs your Ferrari. Again great to watch for a day but not a year long headline act.

Right now the only class im passionate about is TCM and Im very aware they are NOT historical racers, but modern race cars in an older body. And we desperately need someone to put an end to the Johnson/Bowe show it has become.
Well Dave's mate is unlikely to have bought an Altima. TBH outside a racetrack I don't think I have ever seen one. But it is also true to say that Dave's mate is unlikely to have an Audi R8 or a McLaren either.

We have all had to suffer through the football in recent weeks. As the bloke over the road from me likes to say when people start carrying on about "we won this or we did that" - "Your team doesn't even know you exist." Tribalism is tribalism. It doesn't have to be founded on car branding or road car relevance.
Old 11 Oct 2018, 12:04 (Ref:3856107)   #160
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
they are basically sports sedans

The Supercars are certainly sports sedans, however the TCMs are also logbooked as sports sedans as they are very far removed from the original cars too.
Old 12 Oct 2018, 08:01 (Ref:3856201)   #161
BlueMax
Racer

BlueMax should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In 1984 at the Bathurst 1000, the top ten starting positions were made up of 2 Holdens, 2 Fords, 3 Mazdas, 1 BMW, 1 Nissan and 1 Jaguar. (Not in Order)

A lot of people say that they can't relate to the current race because the cars are so far removed from what they drive on the street. And the cost is totally out of control.

I think GT4 would be a good option as it ticks all the boxes. Fast enough 260Kph at Bathurst. Cheap enough and the public can relate to it. They sound great. Especially the Mustang. And a model for everybody.
Mustang
Camaro
BMW
Nissan
Jaguar
Audi
Mercedes Benz
Porsche
Aston Martin
Old 19 Oct 2018, 00:46 (Ref:3857650)   #162
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Holden halts production of Commodore and Equinox

Slightly OT, but somewhat relevant...

"Slow sales of key models leaves Holden with thousands of excess vehicles in stock.
Holden has made an extraordinary decision to stop production of many of its popular models, including the Holden Commodore mid-size hatchback and wagon, and the Holden Equinox SUV, affecting factories as far flung as Germany, Thailand and Mexico.

The order to stop the boats delivering more new cars was made to address a worsening stock crisis due to slow sales."

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/hol...re-and-equinox
Old 19 Oct 2018, 04:01 (Ref:3857666)   #163
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMax View Post
I think GT4 would be a good option as it ticks all the boxes. Fast enough 260Kph at Bathurst. Cheap enough and the public can relate to it.
The lap times and cost of GT4 is virtually identical to TCR, yet people say TCR are too slow and too expensive - "overpriced four cylinder buzzboxes".

Something doesn't add up!

Quote:
“The way they (GT4 & TCR) do the laps is a little bit different,” Eversley explains. “The rolling corner speed for a TCR car is actually pretty high. They are pretty similar in speed but they do the laps completely differently. For every TCR session [at COTA], I was almost completely flat through Turns 17-18-19 around that triple carousel; in the GT4 car you can’t even come close to doing that. So it’s pretty neat how [the TCR cars] make the speed up, but they are probably more fun to drive because they have that kind of aero and you can really push the limits of what is allowed.”
https://racer.com/2018/04/03/comparing-gt3-gt4-and-tcr/
Old 19 Oct 2018, 12:49 (Ref:3857739)   #164
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The lap times and cost of GT4 is virtually identical to TCR, yet people say TCR are too slow and too expensive - "overpriced four cylinder buzzboxes".

Something doesn't add up!

https://racer.com/2018/04/03/comparing-gt3-gt4-and-tcr/
Quote:
So it’s pretty neat how [the TCR cars] make the speed up, but they are probably more fun to drive because they have that kind of aero and you can really push the limits of what is allowed.”
In my experience, from the outside, exactly the opposite is true. Someone balancing a GT4 round a corner than that is always more interesting than an over-modded hatchback flat to the floor. They're just extremely dull, enlivened only by mostly terrible driving standards.
Old 24 Oct 2018, 01:59 (Ref:3858760)   #165
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looks like Holden has got the keys to the whole GM chest. A Cadillac CTS-V to replace the Opel sourced Eurodore after '23?

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-new...aign=editorial
Old 25 Oct 2018, 07:15 (Ref:3859035)   #166
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Looks like Holden has got the keys to the whole GM chest. A Cadillac CTS-V to replace the Opel sourced Eurodore after '23?
At $100k though?
Old 25 Oct 2018, 19:14 (Ref:3859158)   #167
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
At $100k though?
It would be nearer 200k, the Mercedes E63 (another 600hp super sedan like the CTS-V) is priced around $200k and it sells, so the Cadillac CTS-V with the prestigious Cadillac badge would sell too.

You would expect the smaller ATS-V to be priced around 120k. The ALfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifolgio is priced at $120k, and the ATS-V (also being a V6 twin turbo) is a direct rival to that.

All in all, it would be fantastic to see either or both Chevrolet and Cadillac in the SUpercars series. Whther the series focus on coupes, or on mid-size luxury sedans (an Alfa Romeo Giulia would look great on the grid), or on large prestige sedans.
Old 25 Oct 2018, 19:20 (Ref:3859160)   #168
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I hope not.

It's silly to have FWD repmobile hatchbacks racing pony cars. Camaro and Mustang and maybe Infiniti Q60 -- all-coupes --- would be better.

The sooner GM changes from Holden to Chevrolet in Australia the better. The Holden brand has become an irrelevance and liability to GM.
Old 26 Oct 2018, 00:44 (Ref:3859213)   #169
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

The sooner GM changes from Holden to Chevrolet in Australia the better. The Holden brand has become an irrelevance and liability to GM.
Sadly I agree. The Mightly Lion is no longer sadly. Not just in racing but in Australia. Im glad I got to see it.